Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

First Ground and Air Frost 2020-2021 season

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, snowy winters and warm, sunny summers
32 minutes ago, Relativistic said:

Northern Ireland has done relatively well in recent years; they set their coldest ever in December 2010.

Ireland really in general. The R.O.I December record low of -14.6C (seemed ridiculously high) from Dec 1961 was broken many times in Dec 2010 with a new record of -17.5C, whilst Northern Ireland had -18.7C. R.O.I. November record low of -11.1C from Nov 1919 was also broken with -11.5C. December 2010 was the coldest month for the nation since January 1881 with the lowest ever "recorded" monthly mean temperature at a station in the country of -1.5C. 

Then March 2018 brought the only March ice days that Ireland has had in a digital record since 1941 and 3 of them at that too, not just 1. 

I digress with my slight off topic ramble, I could go on and on.

Funny how the previous Northern Ireland Sep record low was set only 2 years ago in September 2018. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow/Thunderstorms

Cleghorn in Scotland fell to -6.6c this morning, not far off the record September minimum. This was of course a recording from an amateur station so no record would of been broken anyway. Already close to freezing in parts of Scotland and North Yorkshire this evening.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, snow, thunderstorms, warm summers not too hot.

-1.4C here this morning.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow/Thunderstorms

RAF Leeming (Met Office site) in North Yorkshire recorded a low of -0.1c which is the coldest September minimum they have ever recorded.

Meanwhile on my network the coldest was once again Ravenseat in the Yorkshire Dales with an impressive minimum of -2.3c.

Ei_OlOhWoAEQlgp?format=jpg&name=large

• Like 1

Posted

Surprised there is little activity in here in recent days, many places will have seen there first ground frost before October, and a few air frost. There have been some notable cold nights in one or two spots for September.

I don't know what temp we fell to last night, no air frost but close I think.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, snowy winters and warm, sunny summers

Casement here in Dublin fell to -0.7C on Sunday morning beating a September record from 1972 of -0.3C. Definitely the earliest frost I've seen. I've seen a September record low, October record low and November record low in past decade. Seems so easy to get record autumn frost in comparison to winter even if the autumns aren't especially cold 

• Like 4

• 4 weeks later...
Posted
  • Location: Ashbourne,County Meath,about 6 miles northwest of dublin airport. 74m ASL
  • Weather Preferences: Cold weather - frost or snow
  • Location: Ashbourne,County Meath,about 6 miles northwest of dublin airport. 74m ASL

Been a disappointing Oct regards frost. Had a slight frost at the very start of the month but that's been it.

After the frosts of late September I thought that would be a good sign for frost during October but that wasn't to be which made this month all the more disappointing.  Rare to record a colder temp in Sept then Oct (0.7c in sept,2.6c in oct at the start of the month).

The weird thing it's not been a mild month,daytime temps have been often on the cool side this month.

Edited by sundog

Posted
1 hour ago, damianslaw said:

Says it all, last post in here 1 October.. hoping will be able to dust it off next week again, still awaiting first air frost..

Wednesday morning will be day for many.

B4698D74-C26A-478E-BB04-53F60A02D51A.thumb.gif.891b26a12793af390497c8e3ba80ca40.gifC01A4C75-D30A-4987-A50A-DFCEF81966FC.thumb.gif.a3e5499e6a68e0b3b6aa66ea010e220e.gif

Posted

Low single digit mins anticipated tonight for many, a few places could record there first air frost of the season . Here I'm not expecting so, but a ground frost certainly given the colder uppers and light winds and clear skies. Hopefully tomorrow will bring some welcome sunshine after days of heavy rain and gloom.

Posted

Revise my comments, I think many places will get down to freezing or below, temps are dropping markedly.  Already close to 4 degrees.

Great seeing the blue background symbols with temps on BBC charts this eve, 0 and -1 degrees, quite a shock to see!

• 2 weeks later...
Posted

Still no air frost here and looking at the models it looks pretty unlikely for the rest of November. If we get to 1st December and still haven't had an air frost then there's only 11 years out of the last 41 that have recorded the first air frost at a later date.

The latest was 18th December in 2006/07.

It all looked so promising when we recorded our earliest ever ground frost on 31st August, but we've only had three colder minimums since then!

Posted

I think we've had an air frost, I've not had to go out in the mornings much since March. We had a run of cold nights late September into early October, but since then can count on less than one hand number of times we've been in low single digit figures.

Not too unusual though, increasingly March and April seem to record colder nights than November and December nowadays, come to think of it May and June also... these balmy SW winds are so homogenously warm,  we seem to get the same minima now as we would in the height of summer. Curse the atlantic and being on the east side of it!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, thunderstorms, gales. All extremes except humidity.

An air frost here last night though only just at -0.2C. Amazingly no frost here in October or until yesterday in November, the last one being on the 27th September.

Posted
On 20/11/2020 at 17:16, reef said:

Still no air frost here and looking at the models it looks pretty unlikely for the rest of November. If we get to 1st December and still haven't had an air frost then there's only 11 years out of the last 41 that have recorded the first air frost at a later date.

The latest was 18th December in 2006/07.

It all looked so promising when we recorded our earliest ever ground frost on 31st August, but we've only had three colder minimums since then!

We did actually record the first air frost of the Autumn last night though it only dropped to -0.4C and stayed below freezing barely an hour!

Posted

Not been able to note lowest mins so far, but suspect we scraped an air frost last night before cloud invaded, it was 2 degrees around dawn and 2 degrees at 11pm last night.