Cold?
IGNORED

Snow & Ice coverage in the Northern Hemisphere Winter 2020/21

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hoar Frost, Snow, Misty Autumn mornings

• Like 3

Posted
15 minutes ago, cyclonic happiness said:

Some fresh snow eastern siberia though in patches snow1.thumb.gif.1b8f9a34bdb52a023b7bb89197d91aa3.gif

The sea ice looks rather sorry!

Posted
11 hours ago, Don said:

yes, it's really taken a battering this year

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow,Thunderstorms mix both for heaven THUNDERSNOW 😜😀🤤🥰

That snowfall in Iceland seen a bit better on the latest chart 4F461CD9-6B27-4C4C-9674-46B7FD2FB10A.thumb.gif.d21b70b6c9ecb289a192d682b9a390cc.gif

Posted

Should be some more snow to come across Iceland and also some dustings possible for higher parts of Norway, nice to see the -6 850hpa air. 1E2FD1CE-F48A-4CCD-9B27-AD0B0B9BA558.thumb.png.38ebde7ed92c84d0a8e609d2b7c10dee.pngB960CCBE-4267-48D1-9176-EA7018C94406.thumb.png.1eb382727671a0fcfcc315e8397c40da.png

• Like 3

Posted

First snow expected in Texas on Wednesday. I believe the previous record is September 29th in 1984 so this could smash it.

https://www.meteociel.fr/modeles/gfse_cartes.php?&ech=78&mode=16&carte=1

I follow the Northwest Passage attempts. (Cancelled this year for Covid.) It sort of opened on the same day as last year - August 20th - but there is more ice about and it has been iffy since in a closed here and open there sort of way. Melt has slowed early with lots of early cold wintery weather which would have made it very hazardous so probably as well they've all been banned. The weather has been a bit this way for a couple of weeks at the most northerly trading post of Resolute so fresh water and brackish areas will be freezing up early even if deeper sea might still be thawing slightly.

https://weather.gc.ca/city/pages/nu-27_metric_e.html

• Thanks 1

Posted

Unusually early cold incursion through the mid west states in the US next few days brining ample snowfall to the higher plains and mountains through Montana, Wyoming and Colorado and as far south as northwest Texas. Denver looks the place to be.

anim_dlc7.gif

anim_aix9.gif

anim_gey4.gif

Edited by The Eagle
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and Snow -20 would be nice :)

I love extremes but from mid 30’s Monday to 1c and snow the very next day in Denver is certainly extreme, look at the 850hpa anomalies charts

714C4221-3784-49CA-8837-B948BF43BD2D.thumb.png.8c2716b027561911201e85a3b7137a41.png

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Southerly tracking LPs, heavy snow. Also 25c and calm
On 04/09/2020 at 23:15, Don said:

It’s ok

from DMI

the rate of loss hasn’t only slowed, it has reversed to record-early gains; and 2) the 1981-2010 avg. minimum date isn’t until Sept 15, meaning the ice should still be melting for another two weeks.

Furthermore, and also buried in the report is the revelation that this year’s minimum Arctic sea ice extent fell 360,000 km2 short of 2012’s record low.

Interesting watching from here

BFTP

• Like 7

Posted
10 hours ago, BLAST FROM THE PAST said:

It’s ok

from DMI

the rate of loss hasn’t only slowed, it has reversed to record-early gains; and 2) the 1981-2010 avg. minimum date isn’t until Sept 15, meaning the ice should still be melting for another two weeks.

Furthermore, and also buried in the report is the revelation that this year’s minimum Arctic sea ice extent fell 360,000 km2 short of 2012’s record low.

BFTP

Alternatively>>   https://electroverse.net/record-early-arctic-sea-ice-growth/

• Like 3

Posted
23 hours ago, BLAST FROM THE PAST said:

It’s ok

from DMI

BFTP

I'm sorry, but the ice is still melting(or compacting) and its comfortably second lowest. Siberian and Atlantic extents are at record lows(ice edge exceeded 85 degrees north on the Atlantic edge!) and refreeze in these areas are no doubt going to very slow given there is literally no cold air over that part of the basin and there is NONE forecast for those areas either in the foreseeable coupled with very high SSTS.

It also means Siberian snow cover is no doubt going to be record lows this September, lots of positive temperature anaomolies, persistent high pressure and snowfall will be very limited. 

We need to deal with the realities of a changing climate and accept the continents are warming up quicker within each decade, the ice is melting and getting less with each decade and the heat is taking longer and longer to ease up during September. The exception for now is Arctic Canada but even here, eventually climate change will make its presence more and more. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Posted

We had a later than average start to harvest up here by about ten days due to a cooler July which delayed ripening of crops.I also read that Norway was experiencing its coldest summer for 60 years. Not everywhere is warming up.Heat did finally arrive in August however.

• Like 1

Posted

Still raining in Denver but it will turn to snow tonight for anyone who wants an early fix. Already snowing in the Rocky foothills.

Plenty of webcams online

https://www.earthcam.com/usa/colorado/denver/?cam=denver

https://denver.cbslocal.com/cams/

Telluride which is nearly 200 miles southwest but higher elevation @ 2667m 

Edited by The Eagle
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Geordiesnow said:

We need to deal with the realities of a changing climate and accept the continents are warming up quicker within each decade, the ice is melting and getting less with each decade and the heat is taking longer and longer to ease up during September. The exception for now is Arctic Canada but even here, eventually climate change will make its presence more and more. 

Thank you Geordiesnow. The above linked anti-global warming contrarian article is too strident and political to be credible as science. 

Of course we should be prepared to accept new evidence that contradicts received wisdom. But the evidence for glacial melt, increased sea temperatures, atmospheric carbon and temperature extremes (even before we get to polar ice) is overwhelming and multi layered. To deny the evidence as a whole is either deluded, stubborn or supported by vested interests. 

There, I've said it. The article tone got under my skin. I joined to make this comment and it is the last I will say on the topic (marginally off-thread as it is)

I loved this thread last winter and will do so again this year. Thank you to everyone who contributes.

• Like 2

Posted
2 hours ago, The Eagle said:

Still raining in Denver but it will turn to snow tonight for anyone who wants an early fix. Already snowing in the Rocky foothills.

Plenty of webcams online

Snow falling there now. 

Better webcam

https://www.earthcam.com/usa/colorado/denver/?cam=denver

Edited by The Eagle
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Southerly tracking LPs, heavy snow. Also 25c and calm
12 hours ago, Geordiesnow said:

I'm sorry, but the ice is still melting(or compacting) and its comfortably second lowest. Siberian and Atlantic extents are at record lows(ice edge exceeded 85 degrees north on the Atlantic edge!) and refreeze in these areas are no doubt going to very slow given there is literally no cold air over that part of the basin and there is NONE forecast for those areas either in the foreseeable coupled with very high SSTS.

It also means Siberian snow cover is no doubt going to be record lows this September, lots of positive temperature anaomolies, persistent high pressure and snowfall will be very limited. 

I’m just quoting DMI Geordie, I don’t see them as not being impartial.

I’ll see if I can find it but North America is actually cooling recently.

Quote ‘NOAA cites in a recent report (Jan, 2020) as well as the same 5-year time-frame, it is revealed that temps in North America declined at a rate of 2.03C per decade between 2015-2019’

4 years is of course no timescale and not intended to offer longterm evidence ...but interesting nonetheless as I said.  

BFTP

Edited by BLAST FROM THE PAST
  • Like 3

Posted

Should see the higher parts of Norway getting some snow over the next day or so 2E35473C-2095-415F-85DA-E26359C575CA.thumb.png.831ec72bda6a2775d6af31d33c39abe2.png

• Like 3