Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Snow & Ice coverage in the Northern Hemisphere Winter 2020/21

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Proper winter/Proper summer
1 hour ago, Blozzel said:

image.thumb.png.9f522ae247105c42b96f770f58e7dd69.pngThere almost seems to be an ice bridge now between Greenland and Iceland looking at this image.

I remember discussing this possibility with others in last years thread. From recollection it only happens a few times a century!

• Like 1

Posted

According to the local Icelandic meteorological service the ice pack is still 40 nautical miles from that NW Snafaelles peninsula but interesting none the less. The o s in the map are observed bergs of ice rather the main ice pack.

02FDE572-BB33-4359-AD98-E403D632D5CE.png

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snowy or sunny but not too hot!
3 hours ago, Blozzel said:

image.thumb.png.9f522ae247105c42b96f770f58e7dd69.pngThere almost seems to be an ice bridge now between Greenland and Iceland looking at this image.

I got quite excited for a moment as I thought it read Ireland and not Iceland!

Kind Regards

Dave

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sun, Snow and Storms
11 hours ago, manx_mick said:
USICECENTER.GOV

U.S. National Ice_Center's Arctic Product section containing all charts, support files, and information.

This link seems quite good although not sure it gives you your required information MIA

manxmike...

Thanks for the above.

In checking  it out, I found that my original link to USNIC had been restored.  I suspect that yesterday I was in too early before they had completed their reorganisation. Anyway the link you have supplied is very useful. Thankyou again.

On to todays Masie 

Total extent up to 11,264k Km2 that is another century  increase of 109K Km2. Still in 2nd position.

Conditions are similar and changes quite limited though fairly extensive. (with one exception)

Chukchi (+17K) now ready for a complete ice over in the next few days as plenty of local sea ice is now appearing.

Kara (+11K) and Barents (-3K) continue with their in and out game.

Greenland expanded (+28K) and Baffin (+13K), but CAB dropped (-4K).. 

Hudson (+21K),Bering (+1) gained, but SOO surged by (+31K) on its first sign of real life.

The first sign of ice was today recorded in the Baltic with (+0.5K) added around St Petersburg.

Still forecasts indicate very cold air up until Xmas, and the ice persists all round Iceland..

MIA 

Edited by Midlands Ice Age
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Posted
4 hours ago, Northwest NI said:

According to the local Icelandic meteorological service the ice pack is still 40 nautical miles from that NW Snafaelles peninsula but interesting none the less. The o s in the map are observed bergs of ice rather the main ice pack.

02FDE572-BB33-4359-AD98-E403D632D5CE.png

The ice around Iceland is located around the Eastern, southern and western coasts this year.  Very odd.

In fact it looks a lot like the build up around Svalbard. 

MIA

• Like 2

Posted
17 hours ago, Midlands Ice Age said:

The ice around Iceland is located around the Eastern, southern and western coasts this year.  Very odd.

In fact it looks a lot like the build up around Svalbard. 

MIA

Well. well...The ice around Iceland has disappeared overnight.

and even more odd.......

Only to be replaced by ice in 4 of the 5 fjords facing North! 

Really what is going on here? A lot of people with shovels I think>>>

MIA

• Like 2

Posted
3 minutes ago, Midlands Ice Age said:

Well. well...The ice around Iceland has disappeared overnight.

and even more odd.......

Only to be replaced by ice in 4 of the 5 fjords facing North! 

Really what is going on here? A lot of people with shovels I think>>>

MIA

According to contacts I have in Iceland it was never there anyway. They say there is some ice in the sea but the pieces are separated by miles of seawater so it’s not continuous or solid or anything like what we thought might be happening. Hope this helps

• Like 1

Posted

Masie reports yet another century of sea ice increase.

Chukchi goes for the Bering Straits....

Masie total extent 11,403KKm2, an increase of (+139K Km2 ). Drops to last position, as the previous lowest (2016)  put on 378K Km2 on this  day. I expect 2020  to stay in contact as both years move into the pack at the end of December. 

Chukchi (+61K) halved the ice free waters in one go, and made for the Bering Strait. Bering (+19K), and SOO (+18) and Cooke Inlet (+11K) all responded in unison as the SST 's dropped in the area.

Elsewhere,  Baffin (+24K), and Hudson (+19K) continued to move in towards ice-over in the Hudson Straits.

The Russian front all fell  -        with ESS (-1K), Kara (-19K), Barents (-3K)  and Greenland (-5K).

CAB (+10K) however pushed towards Svalbard and the 80 degrees latitude lines, once more.

MIA

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, Snow, Windstorms and Thunderstorms

Weekly animation. The Chukchi Sea is quickly filling in and the Bering Sea gained its first substantial ice cover. Growth is slow in most areas, however. Kara is still struggling to gain any ice and continues lowest on record.

AnimationSmall.thumb.gif.6b8b23a8be8de32ce11dcddff854182d.gif

As for an ice bridge to Iceland, keep in mind that most of the maps posted here are "extent" maps, which means anything above 15% ice cover over areas of 10s of km2 are displayed as solid white.  The animation above is concentration, so is a slightly better representation of how much ice is actually there.

• Thanks 1

Posted

2 Days of Masie data as I missed out on yesterday.

Total extent 11,511KKm2 an increase of (+108K) over the 2 days, comprising (-26K) and (+134K) today.

Chukchi (+33K) still gaining, but Kara(-19K) and Greenland (-29K) were still 'variable'.

However,  Barents has burst  into life  with (+91K). Strangely enough joining up the pack ice around Franz Joseph Islands to the extreme SE edge of Svalbard, leaving a large area around the North East of Svalbard still to freeze. 

It looks as if the high pressure over Beaufort is finally extending NE winds towards this area, whilst encountering the final push of the Atlantic lows towards the north  of Svalbard.  

Baffin withdrew a bit (-16K), but Hudson hellbent on freezing quite early with (+68K).

CAB with a small gain (+4K), but a loss in Bering (-6K), whereas a gain of (+6K) in the SOO.

Ice forming at sea now in the SOO, forewarns of a more rapid freeze, as is also the case in the Hudson Strait, linking Hudson bay to the Sea of Labrador.

Forecasts (10 day GFS) now show Asia and North America turning very cold in the outlook.

Large area of Siberia are now forecast to drop below -50C under high pressure. Let see if this has any effect upon sea ice coverage in the run up to Christmas.

image.thumb.png.6e880dc923a9d9176b466af1f7df56fa.pngimage.thumb.png.fdd65585f031fa7af0d65c760b54323e.png

MIA 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Posted

Thanks Northwest NI...

The ice is still present on todays Masie - so we know that it really exists, this time..

Todays Masie is an excellent gain of (+166K) taking the total to 11,673KKm2. Now moving clear into 2nd lowest after being overtaken by 2016.

Gains were as I forecast yesterday -  with a good performance from Kara (+55K), where ice is now finally moving towards  the Novaya Severna Island from the extending pack. It also looks now ripe for a good freeze over the next few days. 

Next is Baffin (+39K), now getting into The gulf of Labrador,  and the ever reliable Hudson (+80K) now icing the Straits, in order to meet the Baffin ice  moving south.

Elsewhere a gain of (+19K) in Bering. and more growth in SOO(+2K), which is also looking good for growth with more open sea ice having formed today. 

Barents (+14K) had a steady gain around Svalbard;

There were losses in Chukchi (-16K)  with strong winds blowing the ice along the Russian coastline, and Greenland (-33K), which again lost ice into Fram.  

Arctic Sea ice is still being created at a good rate (although from a low base), with JAXA extent  showing a 7% (compared to the last 10 years average) uplift, this is since it started to grow in early October.

Recent gains continue to be above recent averages as these graphs from the ASIF shows,

image.thumb.png.9eac777396439137d5e187ba7d602a79.png

This has again pushed the Worldwide sea ice extent to the 9th lowest (probably 10th tomorrow), in the last 20 years, so although the Arctic is not exactly sparkling, 'total' sea ice is staying at very much average rates for this century.

image.thumb.png.2091df3535ffe3d4b67030c79913e3be.png  image.thumb.png.02aff0aa3acddb3b5675edf058cee221.png 

MIA

• Like 4

Posted

Another 2 days since the last Masie update...

Strange, but almost the same as the last report, with a small drop followed by a good rise.

Yesterday a drop of 17KKm2, today a rise of 129K Km2. Leaving a net difference of (+112K).

Seems as though the Russian sst's in the Kara and Barents sector have fallen sufficiently low for a fast freeze to take place, Even though the wind blown Chukchi ice is leaving the Russian coastline free of ice temporarily, even into the ESS.

Chukchi still gained (+29K), but the ESS fell (-21k).

Kara gained a lot with bridge to Severna Novaya now completed. Further gains as the pack  fills in the hole, will now occur and the ice stretches/thickens along the east N Severna coastline.

Barents (+34K) - also as suggested-  connected from Franz Joseph to Svalbard, and it looks as if the pack will how move south and westward as per last year, whilst filling in the newly formed hole.

Greenland fell again (-9k), whereas the CAB gained (+9K) to move past the 80 degrees latitude line near Franz Joseph Island.

Baffin contracted slightly (-8K), and Hudson is nearing being full (+0). with more, though  mostly small amounts, only to freeze in and around the Hudson Straits. 

In the peripheral areas had a mixed 2 days, Bering Seas expanded (+18K) out towards the Aleutian Islands, but the SOO (+0) did not take advantage off the sea ice  (yet?). Losses  (-3K) in both Cooke Inlet and also the Sea of Labrador.

Ice in the Arctic has been forming at faster rates this autumn since the very slow start caused by the strong southerly wind phenominum of the end of September and beginning of October, raising the SST's in Chukchi, Laptev and the ESS.

JAXA has reported an increased rate of about 8%, adding  579K KM2 more than the 2010 averages  in the time since the freeze really began. (Catch up?).

See chart below -

image.thumb.png.c0c7a1048721c531ab00274a56ae6cb2.pngimage.thumb.png.2548debfc0088a5faeb3593bb55b3dad.png

Worldwide sea ice still continues  to exceed the average levels for 2010, and is approaching those of the 2000's.

Apparently due to the late strongish  growth in the Arctic and a slowed melt in the Antarctic?.

Could it be that the La Nina is having an effect on the sea ice?

image.thumb.png.f13923dc42cb2ba03f7a509112518d80.pngimage.thumb.png.9f26e26e057d5406918c68714e3f0bd8.png   

MIA

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold winters

What has happened to the NOAA charts that show snow cover for the NH.?  It is so frustrating specially as we are seeing record snow events in many places including USA and Japan.  It feels like a case of nothing to see here just move along.

Posted
5 hours ago, Blozzel said:

What has happened to the NOAA charts that show snow cover for the NH.?  It is so frustrating specially as we are seeing record snow events in many places including USA and Japan.  It feels like a case of nothing to see here just move along.

I reported that the graphic showing latest and current sea ice cover has been disbanded by the National Ice Centre on Dec 10th.

You can still get a Northern Hemisphere up to date picture but not the more useful comparison.

I think you now have to register to access any of their data.

Manx Mike supplied this link..

U.S. National Ice Center Home (usicecenter.gov)

IMS Snow and Ice Products (usicecenter.gov)

If you then go to 'IMS snow and sea ice' data you can reach the NH snow and ice map for today, and an archive for yesterday.

MIA

• Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold winters

Thanks MIA.  I have tried a few alternatives. Why did they disband the snow chart.?  I have heard a lot of weather watchers and internet channels say that daily information and data is being ever more restricted which makes it harder for people to see for themselves what is really going on with the climate.

Posted

Well, well.  (or should I say ho ho ho).... to continue with the cold them of today's model output, may I present the Masie snow and ice data.

Masie today has recorded an increase of +256K km2, to go over 12.000 at (12,056K Km2).

No area  recorded a loss and several areas had large increases.

Chukchi (+22K) is now nearly filled in. ESS (+2K) will soon infill again. Kara (+12K) consolidated before its next push southwards.

As per yesterday's predictions,  Barents (+47K) headed to enclose Svalbard, Hudson (+58K) nearly met the Baffin Sea (+23K) as both moved south towards the Labrador Seas. 

Bering (+10K), and the SOO (+60K), both as predicted 2 days ago,  marched out to the open seas.

The smaller outer peripheral seas also moved into icing mode with Baltic (+7K) moved ice into both the gulf's of Finland and Bothnia (good for UK cold coming up!). and both Cook Inlet (+3K) and the Yellow Sea (+3K) started up real icing. 

So at this point we have substantial ice still to form in Kara, and Barents and Baffin, and the peripheral areas now look to take up the baton as we are looking at major outbreaks of cold around the northern hemisphere. 

All this with the current ice situation in 2nd lowest position, but within 100K of 6th and 7th position.

I expect that JAXA extent tomorrow will move up into 3rd or 4th position, and world total sea ice will move up into 13th or 14th least bad in the last 20 years - However more of that tomorrow. 

MIA

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Posted
10 hours ago, Blozzel said:

Thanks MIA.  I have tried a few alternatives. Why did they disband the snow chart.?  I have heard a lot of weather watchers and internet channels say that daily information and data is being ever more restricted which makes it harder for people to see for themselves what is really going on with the climate.

I found this, although they no longer have the Eurasian view.

• Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and Frost

This one provides a map of European snow cover, and provides comparitive graphs for a number of different countries which will at least cover some of the gap created by the loss of the Eurasian snow cover map.

http://zoz.cbk.waw.pl/snieg/en/

• Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, Snow, Windstorms and Thunderstorms

With an increase of 805,000 km² in the last 6 days, extent has climbed from 2nd to 7th lowest on record. This is the highest position extent has occupied since the 28th of June.

Picture7.thumb.png.00a23ca90aeda8653400a61faceb2a35.png

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted

MIA - Have you seen the new ice in the St. Lawrence Estuary and up around Newfoundland?  A record breaking snowstorm has just gone through that dropped up to 4 feet around the New York State area. It supports my understanding that heavy snow is often a big driver of rapid ice growth if the sea is cold enough. (How much of it then sticks is another matter.)

image.thumb.png.226a18d91cb68f2c14fc604ff05e0430.png

Edit - I don't know how much fell on Newfoundland but I found a weather a weather forecast that predicted 15-25cm for Thursday and Friday for Nova Scotia. It also indicated there had been a cold air mass move into the area dropping temps to -5 to -10C ahead of the low running up the coastline to bring in the moisture.

Edited by Aleman
  • Thanks 1

Posted

Thanks BFTV..

Masie has not risen quite so much. It has risen to 3rd lowest today after a 102K Km2 increase. This is still about 50% above average for today at  this time of year.

Masie total extent 12,143K Km2,higher than 2016 and 2019. (Jaxa has it in 5th lowest position).

Chukchi gained for possibly the last time (+22K), now it is just about full.

Barents (+3K) and Kara (+47K) continue to grow whilst taking it in turns to lead.

Greenland (-4K) and Hudson (-3K) both  lost a small amount and can now be considered full.

Bering (+14K) is now reaching out towards the Aleutian Islands,  together with Baffin (+18K) are now taking up the main ice freeze.

All other areas, except SOO(+5K),  returned no change.  

The ice in the N Icelandic fjords still exists as per today.  Let us see what happens to it if we have portions of the polar vortex dropping  though it moving  south. 

Fact for the day - JAXA is now showing that it has gained 10.4% (+715K Km2) more ice this refreeze than the average for the 2010 decade. More can be expected as the ice continues to expand. 

The latest Ozone chart shows the build up of Ozone coming off the Ural Mountain chain.

Can this  'wave' lead to an SSW in a few days time?

image.thumb.png.817291eb069261fd7507c7ec18ca9ef6.png

MIA 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2