Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Snow & Ice coverage in the Northern Hemisphere Winter 2020/21

Posted
10 hours ago, BLAST FROM THE PAST said:

I’m just quoting DMI Geordie, I don’t see them as not being impartial.

I’ll see if I can find it but North America is actually cooling recently.

Quote ‘NOAA cites in a recent report (Jan, 2020) as well as the same 5-year time-frame, it is revealed that temps in North America declined at a rate of 2.03C per decade between 2015-2019’

4 years is of course no timescale and not intended to offer longterm evidence ...but interesting nonetheless as I said.  

BFTP

I'll try(despite perhaps starting it) keep any of the climate change talk out of here but I look forward to the explanation of record low Siberian sea ice and most likely snow cover for September. Remember albedo affect, open water means warmer temperatures, lack of snow on the ground means higher temperatures. Unless the pattern changes of high pressure ridges, then Siberia is going to have a very slow start to the Autumn season. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Southerly tracking LPs, heavy snow. Also 25c and calm
On 09/09/2020 at 19:02, Geordiesnow said:

I'll try(despite perhaps starting it) keep any of the climate change talk out of here but I look forward to the explanation of record low Siberian sea ice and most likely snow cover for September. Remember albedo affect, open water means warmer temperatures, lack of snow on the ground means higher temperatures. Unless the pattern changes of high pressure ridges, then Siberia is going to have a very slow start to the Autumn season. 

I think projections if coming will take care of any Siberian slow start to autumn season.  

BFTP

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow,Snow and more Snow!!
23 hours ago, Turnedoutniceagain said:

First snowfall has arrived in Svalbard 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, Snow, Windstorms and Thunderstorms

Last 5 days of sea ice change. Gains winning over the losses now in the Beaufort Sea and Canadian Arctic Archipelago. The Kara and Laptev edges maintaining their melt momentum and pushing ever closer to the N. Pole.

AnimationSmall9_14.thumb.gif.83260db2e23d3800e876b7f1c56b18f8.gif

• Like 2

Posted
  • Location: Leeds/Bradford border, 185 metres above sea level, around 600 feet

Euro shows a dominant trough in West/central Russia with cold uppers moving in around day 9. There's also a cold low in the far East in a few days so we should see snow build.

Posted
3 hours ago, summer blizzard said:

Euro shows a dominant trough in West/central Russia with cold uppers moving in around day 9. There's also a cold low in the far East in a few days so we should see snow build.

Very optimistic post because there is nothing below average at all forecast for Siberia, snow cover is at record low levels in Siberia, temperatures are still getting upto 15C during the day on the Arctic coastline and with high pressure dominating, very little PPN. 

I'm keeping an eye on the snow cover charts for Eurasia because in a week or so time, we could see the red line right on its own. Unprecedented times. 

Posted
4 hours ago, Geordiesnow said:

Very optimistic post because there is nothing below average at all forecast for Siberia, snow cover is at record low levels in Siberia, temperatures are still getting upto 15C during the day on the Arctic coastline and with high pressure dominating, very little PPN. 

I'm keeping an eye on the snow cover charts for Eurasia because in a week or so time, we could see the red line right on its own. Unprecedented times. 

I can’t speak to the average but that is what was forecast. Its a sufficiently cool place that it can be much warmer than average and still snow.

The rate of ice rebound is of more importance, that will highlight any real issue beyond a few week delay.

• Like 1

Posted
37 minutes ago, summer blizzard said:

I can’t speak to the average but that is what was forecast. Its a sufficiently cool place that it can be much warmer than average and still snow.

The rate of ice rebound is of more importance, that will highlight any real issue beyond a few week delay.

Yes but not in September, not with uppers largely in the positives, even higher ground is going to be a struggle and then there's the feedback of less snow cover means less cold air forming. Just like more open water means less cold air developing. 

Of course for now, this could be a freek year but as the planet keeps on warming and there less sea ice then the PV will take longer to form during Autumn and eventually true winter weather will be a thing of the past especially as winter sea ice starts to get less and less. Its a horrible cycle unfortunately. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine and 15-25c

why is it when ppl talk about NH snow cover no one ever talks about the N.American continent but always get fixated solely on Siberia ?

• Like 1

Posted
30 minutes ago, cheeky_monkey said:

why is it when ppl talk about NH snow cover no one ever talks about the N.American continent but always get fixated solely on Siberia ?

There’s a weak correlation between Eurasian snowcover and the AO.

Posted
39 minutes ago, cheeky_monkey said:

Whilst I'm not a firm believer of advances of snow cover over Siberia can influence what the UK winter may hold, the weather across Siberia has been extreme since last winter for all the wrong reasons(constant well above temperatures) and this look set to continue in September with a lack of snow cover potentially becoming a weather story due to well above average temperatures and lack of sea ice. 

Most of the cold as usual these days has been in Arctic Canada and the continuation of this is interesting but sadly colder spots like this are very much the exception. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow,Thunderstorms mix both for heaven THUNDERSNOW 😜😀🤤🥰

Should see some snow in the Northern part of the Norwegian / Swedish border in the next few days 0EC52538-9DBE-47FE-969D-CC30C0C699DD.thumb.png.e056513d57312fae8b4e29a8589cefa4.png

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, snow, thunderstorms, warm summers not too hot.
13 hours ago, cheeky_monkey said:

Because Siberian weather can have more of an influence on European weather? Just like cold weather enthusiasts in Canada & the States talk more about the snow cover developing over Arctic Canada?

• Like 1

Posted

This mornings Euro tries to build in more sustainable cold uppers into eastern Siberia from day 8 but removes them in Central Russia.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine and 15-25c
2 hours ago, Frost HoIIow said:

Because Siberian weather can have more of an influence on European weather? Just like cold weather enthusiasts in Canada & the States talk more about the snow cover developing over Arctic Canada?

nobody over here when they do there winter outlooks never even mention snow cover over the Canadian arctic ..they focus pretty much on ENSO conditions and the PDO..NAO for those living on the east coast of the states and canada 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, snow, thunderstorms, warm summers not too hot.
6 minutes ago, cheeky_monkey said:

nobody over here when they do there winter outlooks never even mention snow cover over the Canadian arctic ..they focus pretty much on ENSO conditions and the PDO..NAO for those living on the east coast of the states and canada 

I've been on American weather forums in the past and it's garbage to say they don't talk about snow cover to their north because they do, they don't completely ignore it. Given the north is practically the main source of cold for the states as well. Whereas at the right time of year in the UK our coldest is from the east off the continent - sometimes as far as Siberia. Hence why it's talked about on here often and for good reason.

• Like 1