Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

If a month was a song

Posted

Inspired by the post about songs that you remind you of late summer/early autumn, I thought it good to  post  thread on if a month was a song. Here are my suggestions, some are obvious, some because of the sound/feel of the song, some happened to be in the charts during the parent month.

January - 'Winter'  by Tori Amos. A quiet wintry song

February - This is the month I have struggled to think of a song, I've gone for 'Everyday is like Sunday' - Morrissey, a wake me up song, we could all do with waking up in February out of winter slumber when every day feels the same.

March - 'Weather with you' - Crowded House. This was released in late Feb 92. March is renowned for being a mixed tempestuous sort of month, never knowing what it wants to do, a month when you carry the weather with you, fine early spring days make you feel good, cold wet ones fed up!

April - 'You Gotta Be' - Des'Ree, again this was released in April in 1994, also re-released in 1999 same month. It is a gentle upbeat positive song, it has Spring written all over it, a pull yourself together and put on those new shoes type song.

May - 'The only way is up' -Yazz and the Plastic Population, this was released in height of summer 88 - not a good one, however, it has a major positive propelling force behind it, apt for May a month of gusto and positivity.

June - 'Back to Life - However Do you Want Me' - Soul II Soul - released in June 89, it screams long light summer nights

July - 'Summertime' - Jazzy Jeff and the Fresh Prince - a rather obvious choice, a lazy languid sound, echoing the prime summer month

August - 'Summertime Sadness' - Lana Del Ray, out in Aug 13 I think.. an undertow of melancholy set against a wistfulness

September - 'The Way it is' - Bruce Hornsby and the Range - this was released late Aug 86, this has an air of resignation about it, it shouts September, when you feel well what could have been, as you begin to look to the end of the year, and reflect  on the summer just gone

October - 'Golden Brown' - The Stranglers, released in late winter 82, another very melancholic  tune, the words describe the change in colours 

November - 'Black Hole Sun ' Soundgarden - A shout of a song, when you just want to shout out against the impending dark gloom, where has the sun gone

December -  too many to choose, I've gone with 'December will be Magic Again' by Kate Bush, not very christmassy, but has the wonder of winter about it, and the hopes of the festive season. A close second ' Always on Mind' by Pet Shop Boys, an urgent call of a song, driving and pulsating and bittersweet - an antidote to the smaltz and silly christmas songs always here.

Welcome thoughts.

• Like 1

Posted

Damian,you must be one of the younger members as I have heard od none of thse songs. We could have September in the rain (hope not) but I would be pushed to think of any song for October other than Autumn Leaves

Posted
11 minutes ago, Rollo said:

Damian,you must be one of the younger members as I have heard od none of thse songs. We could have September in the rain (hope not) but I would be pushed to think of any song for October other than Autumn Leaves

Mmm wouldn't class myself in the very young category, perhaps somewhere edging towards the  middle (I'm 42).  Indeed most of these songs are from the 80s and 90s, with only one less than 20 years old. I was a young child in the 80s and a teenager in the 90s, hence my suggestions are in this timescale as I have strong associations with some of them at least.

Posted
33 minutes ago, damianslaw said:

Mmm wouldn't class myself in the very young category, perhaps somewhere edging towards the  middle (I'm 42).  Indeed most of these songs are from the 80s and 90s, with only one less than 20 years old. I was a young child in the 80s and a teenager in the 90s, hence my suggestions are in this timescale as I have strong associations with some of them at least.

Same here, 1976 born. My era is definitely 1979 to 2000 or even up until the mid 2000s. 

Here’s mine:

January : Spacer - Sheila B Devotion

Released in late December 1979, but peaked around late January 1980. Has an upbeat vibe, and goes well with those Friday/Saturday nights at the pub during a chilly January. 

Another Brick in the wall part 2  - Pink Floyd. The last number 1 of the 1970s and it was still knocking around in 1980. More fitting as a dark Christmas song, but fits well with the dreary feel of early January. 

February - Ever Changing Moods - Style council 

I didn’t realise this was a song about nuclear war, but quite a few of those songs from 1984 had a nuclear war theme.(remember threads anyone?)

Has a late winter vibe, but also a hint of spring creeping in.

March - Missed Again - Phil Collins. Perfect sound for the arrival of spring and the tail end of those cold winter days.

April - Black Man Ray - China Crisis

Such a cool tune, and has that lazy spring feeling, with a hint of early summer. Perfect on a sunny warm day. Sounded good during the April and May period of 2020 while it was sunny.

May: Geno - Dexys Midnight Runners

Late spring, early summer feel good song. It was around from March of 1980 and hung around until mid june, but the song belongs to May.

June : Funkytown - Lipps inc

A guilty pleasure, and similar to Geno, as it entered the chart around late May 1980, but peaked around June, and was the sound of summer 80. 

July: Everybody’s Gotta Learn Sometimes - The Korgis 

Staying with 80. This is one of my all time favourites, and really fits well with a warm summers day, but could also sound good on a rainy thundery or humid day in the middle of summer.

August: Club Tropicana - Wham

This song sums up the late July and August period. I remember this during the summer holidays of 1983 and probably 1984. Both hot summers and good Augusts. But, unfortunately, I also associate this song with the fading of summer, as August becomes more autumnal towards the close and the end of the year is beckoning.

September : Red Red Wine - UB40

Lots of folk hate this, but always reminds me a those last warm summer days, while adjusting to the colder mornings and evenings. 

October: Video Killed the Radio Star - Buggles. The autumn is in full swing, and people are fully adjusting to having cosy nights in, while others are in the party mood towards Halloween.

November : Everyday Hurts - Sad Cafe.

Not sure if anyone knows this one. This song from October 1979, has that feeling of winter approaching, while also looking ahead to the new decade, with 1980 just around the corner. Quite a melancholy song that sounds good in early autumn, but also fits well with the much darker days of November.

December : Never Can Say Goodbye - The Communards. 

I remember this song getting airplay just after the hurricane of 1987 in October, but the song definitely reminds me of the run up to Christmas and the very mild weather of that December. Really strange how songs stand out.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!
1 hour ago, Rollo said:

July one good, watch them most nights now, in the Fresh Prince of Bel-Air

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Autumn & Mild

October = Massive Attack - Weather Storm

A simple but chilled song that reminds me of Autumn coming in and nights of rain sounding on the window while I’m comfy inside.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine and 15-25c
On 25/08/2020 at 13:20, damianslaw said:

March - 'Weather with you' - Crowded House. This was released in late Feb 92.

This is the worst song ever released GTFO

On 25/08/2020 at 14:13, Sunny76 said:

Another Brick in the wall part 2  - Pink Floyd. The last number 1 of the 1970s and it was still knocking around in 1980. More fitting as a dark Christmas song, but fits well with the dreary feel of early January. 

Always think this song is very apt for the society we live in today

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!
3 hours ago, Weatherman_93 said:

Haha what?! This was a great song

can think of worse! gotye/kimbra, gangnam style, Amy Winehouse Valerie,

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: The Actual Weather ..... not fantasy.

I could do a year from 1966 alone.. my favourite year?. but wont..

January - Spencer davis group "keep on running" 1966 ... pure nostalgia, i loved this at the time, i will allways associate it with January 66 as thats when it reached #1 after the beatles vacated the top spot.

February - Dusty Springfield "little by little" 1966 ... or "michelle" the Overlanders, both 66, both remind me of February, Dustys motownesque track complete with echo backing vocals always makes me think of stormy February skies.

March - Strawberry Switchblade "since yesterday" 1985 , i like the upbeat feel, like spring springing into life, full of hope and promise

April - Love Affair "rainbow valley" 1968 ,     an uplifting melodic song capturing the optimistic mood of April

May - Ralph Vaughan Williams "17 come Sunday" ,     all the energy and again, optimism, that May has to offer in musical form

June - Fee "alright now" 1970,     things can get a bit stormy and theres a mood about this track i think suites.

July - Young Rascals "groovin" 1967 ... summer in a 3 minute track.

August - DJ Sammy "sunlight" 2003 ... Trance is the sound of summer, this Majorcan DJ understood this

September - The Kinks "sunny afternoon" 1966 .. The darker undertones of this splendid track gives it a feel of impending misery of the winter approaching.

October - Three Drives on a Vinyl "Greece 2000" 2000 ... for me captures the essence of summer being over but still remembered like it was yesterday

November - Lee Hazelwood/Nancy Sinatra "Some velvet morning" 1967 ... dark and moody Lee, light and airy Nancy , perfect mix to describe November

December - The Human League "i am the law" (although the whole album "Dare" would count) reminds me inextricably of December 1981 with the pre crimbo blizzards...

• Like 1

Posted
On Tuesday, August 25, 2020 at 20:20, damianslaw said:

Inspired by the post about songs that you remind you of late summer/early autumn, I thought it good to  post  thread on if a month was a song. Here are my suggestions, some are obvious, some because of the sound/feel of the song, some happened to be in the charts during the parent month.

February - This is the month I have struggled to think of a song, I've gone for 'Everyday is like Sunday' - Morrissey, a wake me up song, we could all do with waking up in February out of winter slumber when every day feels the same.

March - 'Weather with you' - Crowded House. This was released in late Feb 92. March is renowned for being a mixed tempestuous sort of month, never knowing what it wants to do, a month when you carry the weather with you, fine early spring days make you feel good, cold wet ones fed up!

April - 'You Gotta Be' - Des'Ree, again this was released in April in 1994, also re-released in 1999 same month. It is a gentle upbeat positive song, it has Spring written all over it, a pull yourself together and put on those new shoes type song.

May - 'The only way is up' -Yazz and the Plastic Population, this was released in height of summer 88 - not a good one, however, it has a major positive propelling force behind it, apt for May a month of gusto and positivity.

June - 'Back to Life - However Do you Want Me' - Soul II Soul - released in June 89, it screams long light summer nights

July - 'Summertime' - Jazzy Jeff and the Fresh Prince - a rather obvious choice, a lazy languid sound, echoing the prime summer month

August - 'Summertime Sadness' - Lana Del Ray, out in Aug 13 I think.. an undertow of melancholy set against a wistfulness

September - 'The Way it is' - Bruce Hornsby and the Range - this was released late Aug 86, this has an air of resignation about it, it shouts September, when you feel well what could have been, as you begin to look to the end of the year, and reflect  on the summer just gone

October - 'Golden Brown' - The Stranglers, released in late winter 82, another very melancholic  tune, the words describe the change in colours 

November - 'Black Hole Sun ' Soundgarden - A shout of a song, when you just want to shout out against the impending dark gloom, where has the sun gone

December -  too many to choose, I've gone with 'December will be Magic Again' by Kate Bush, not very christmassy, but has the wonder of winter about it, and the hopes of the festive season. A close second ' Always on Mind' by Pet Shop Boys, an urgent call of a song, driving and pulsating and bittersweet - an antidote to the smaltz and silly christmas songs always here.

Welcome thoughts.

In the summertime by mungo jerry would have been a much better choice for may, I'm surprised no one has mentioned it.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...

May-June 1970: 

June-July 1971: 

July 1972: 

Edited by General Cluster

Posted
On 27/08/2020 at 15:44, Weatherman_93 said:

Haha what?! This was a great song

Admit it's not my favourite song, but it reminds me of the turn from winter to spring. 

Posted

Just listen to Every Day Hurts by Sad Cafe in the last week of September, and into October. 

This song really does fit the feeling of summer has gone, it’s now Autumn, and winter is on its way.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Misty Autumn Mornings, Thunderstorms and snow

My favourite song of all time is Dionne Warwick Heartbreaker.

It charted in October 1982 getting to Number 2 but boy the lyrics could be about the missed snow events here in Plymouth!

Only to find any dream that I follow is dying.
I'm cryin' in the rain.
I could be searchin' my world for a love everlasting,
Feeling no pain, when will we meet again?

Why do you have to be a heartbreaker?
Is it a lesson that I never knew?
Gotta get out of the spell that I'm under,
My love for you

My love is stronger than the universe.
My soul is cryin' for you,
And that can not be reversed.
You made the rules and you could not see;
You made a life out of hurtin' me.

Out of my mind, I am held by the power of you love.
Tell me when do we try, or should we say goodbye

Edited by philglossop

• 2 weeks later...
Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Proper winter/Proper summer
On 25/08/2020 at 20:20, damianslaw said:

Welcome thoughts.

Incredible choices! I feel like I know you. Tori Amos Winter is not a well known tune but one of my favourites. Brilliant post.

Edited by Northwest NI

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: SNAW

November Rain by Guns and Rose's.. 

Edited by Mair Snaw

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...

Scottish Rain by The Silencers... reminds me of every month of the year!:oldlaugh:

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Continental winters & summers.
On 25/08/2020 at 20:20, damianslaw said:

September - 'The Way it is' - Bruce Hornsby and the Range - this was released late Aug 86, this has an air of resignation about it, it shouts September, when you feel well what could have been, as you begin to look to the end of the year, and reflect  on the summer just gone.

Easy one... surely September by Earth Wind and Fire? 

Posted
13 hours ago, Northwest NI said:

Incredible choices! I feel like I know you. Tori Amos Winter is not a well known tune but one of my favourites. Brilliant post.

Thanks!

Posted

It's been mentioned, but "November Rain" by Guns N Roses is apt for November. Even in duff years, November is always wet. I just think of 2016 where it rained almost every day, and the floods around my 32nd birthday. I would apply the song from Mid-October to be fair. Unwanted memories of October 2014. 

One for winter, especially January / February - "Bright Eyes" by Art Garfunkel. I know it was released in Spring (ironic it was #1 during Easter 1979 ;) ), but it has a winter feel to it. Plus, the song is very sad. Also keeping with a "dark theme" as winter is a dark season with the long nights and short days, "West End Girls" by The Pet Shop Boys. The sinister sounding music and lyrics. 

Spring - In terms of recent events (lockdown), "Blinding Lights" by The Weeknd seems more appropriate probably because it has the lyric "The streets are cold and empty" reflecting those dark three months. Any other year and I know it's a bit of cheesy one as it reminds me of childhood a lot is "Who Do You Think You Are?" by The Spice Girls. I think it's because it's a song that is just kicking and screaming the spring warmth and changes and telling winter to "do one". 

Summertime - I nominate "Carnaval de Paris" by Dario G. It must be the Brazillian feel that adds to the summer charm and the fact it was released during World Cup 1998! Throw in "I Love Your Smile" by Shanice - positive and uplifting, like summer. 

Edited by NeilN

• 2 weeks later...
Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine and 15-25c
On 10/09/2020 at 07:02, MP-R said:

Easy one... surely September by Earth Wind and Fire? 

always reminds me of December..because it was in the charts Dec 1978 into Jan 1979 and coincided with the infamous cold and snowy spell that occurred at that time