Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Not too hot, excitement of snow, a hoolie

At 1 am CDT, Hurricane #Laura has made landfall in southwestern Louisiana near Cameron as a category 4 #hurricane. Maximum sustained winds were 150 mph, with a minimum central pressure of 938 mb. Potentially catastrophic impacts will continue.   @NHC_Atlantic

Houston is 6 hours behind our BST

2708LAURAnearlandfall.png

• Thanks 1

Posted

Some amazing videos already coming out.

Probably enough data to warrant upping the winds to 135kts post season but not enough to get to cat-5 imo.

Laura is now the joint 5th strongest ever landfalling US hurricane, just for some perspective (Behind 1935 labor Day, Camille, Andrew and Michael). I suspect post season it will hold that rank on its own.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot summers, snowy winters and thunderstorms!

I'll be amazed if this doesn't get upgraded to Cat5. The chasers seem scared which tells you something. Just seen a roof ripped off at Lake Charles!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, crisp, calm and sunny
1 hour ago, crimsone said:

Why anybody would be sitting in a car atop a multi-level car park building I don't know... 

... but here he is.

Has he gone offline? I’ve lost him at 140’s are hitting the car park. Ah he’s back

Edited by Soaring Hawk

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Windy, rumbly, flashy or snowy.

He is still there but degraded signal means almost constant buffering. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, crisp, calm and sunny

150-155 gusts downtown Lake Charles now

Posted
6 minutes ago, crimsone said:

New stream from rooftop car guy just started...

/// Edit: Well that didn't last long.

Confirms the reports that the 50(ish) storey Capital One building in Lake Charles has received major damage.

Posted

Well we are seeing a legitimate steady state high end cat-4 here. As I said earlier probably 135kts landfall, just a hair beneath cat-5.

High end cat-4 making landfall in the US are very rare. A storm this strong making landfall anywhere in the Atlantic is rare, one hitting this part of the gulf even more so.

• Like 1

Posted

Got up just Intime to see the chasers in the eye at Lake Charles, winds just started to pick up again on the cameras and you can hear the faintly roar beginning to get louder...

Edited by Ryukai

Posted

Live again.

Can't deny that I think this incredibly brave, and probably quite knowledgeable guy, is nevertheless being a bit daft to bringing us the footage.. but damn it's good.

Edited by crimsone
  • Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: extremes n snow

Transformers blowing up on Jennings cam

Posted
3 minutes ago, crimsone said:

Live again.

Can't deny that I think this incredibly brave, and probably quite knowledgeable guy, is nevertheless being a bit daft to bringing us the footage.. but damn it's good.

Jeff Piotrowski is an absolute legend in this game, recorder of the infamous Blue Shed video from Hurricane Harvey in 2017.

I'd rather be up on top of that parking garage than down below at the risk to storm surge!

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Not too hot, excitement of snow, a hoolie
24 minutes ago, ChezWeather said:

Jeff Piotrowski is an absolute legend in this game, recorder of the infamous Blue Shed video from Hurricane Harvey in 2017.

I'd rather be up on top of that parking garage than down below at the risk to storm surge!

He's heading down the car park

Posted
26 minutes ago, ChezWeather said:

Honestly, I see no sense in being anywhere near this one.... but hey, that's just my opinion.

Posted

Yep, he's just mentioned that the worst winds are now to the North of their location

Reed Timmer was just heading back towards the coast to check on some sort of weather probe I believe, but he's just lost internet signal 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Storms, Extreme Weather

How did they predict the storm surge so wrong? About 4-6ft rather than the 20ft quoted. Do they get a bit exaggerated to get people to leave?

• Like 1

Posted
9 minutes ago, RobR said:

How did they predict the storm surge so wrong? About 4-6ft rather than the 20ft quoted. Do they get a bit exaggerated to get people to leave?

No ones on the coast yet, it's still pitch black over there and they are still in the hurricanes circulation so it's not like anyone can go check.  Also, alot of the tide-gauges aren't sending data, either due to power outage or just being plain broken.  One of those that is still working that was in the direct path of the eye is showing 10 ft, and that's plenty enough to submerge a single story building, so still deadly.

_________

For anyone in the know. One thing I'm wondering about is that some of the gauges show a sudden drop in water level as the hurricane came ashore, up to 2ft below the expected tide level for that time before rapidly coming in even higher (looks more like a small tsunami with how it behaved).  Is this normal??

Edited by Ryukai

Posted
8 minutes ago, RobR said:

The 4-6ft would be coastal, the 20 foot would be up narrow basins, rivers, lakes and dead end creeks.

Posted
2 minutes ago, Ryukai said:

For anyone in the know. One thing I'm wondering about is that some of the gauges show a sudden drop in water level as the hurricane came ashore, up to 2ft below the expected tide level for that time before rapidly coming in even higher (looks more like a small tsunami with how it behaved).  Is this normal??

Yes. 

• Thanks 1