Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Do You Enjoy Winter As Much As You Used To?

Do You Enjoy Winter As Much As You Used To?  

73 members have voted

1. 1. Do You Enjoy Winter As Much These Days?

• I enjoy it more these days. It rocks!
    • I enjoy it the same amount
    • I enjoy it less
    • Ahhhhhh, I hate Winter!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: continental climate

Always enjoy snow almost like when I was young. My early childhood between 1988-1992 was plagued with that pesky +NAO winter regimes. Strangely period between 1990 and 1994 had very cold autumns and disapointing winters,but then came 1995/96 which was magical. I am bit jealous not being a child of 80s as those were amazing winters

Posted
47 minutes ago, jules216 said:

Always enjoy snow almost like when I was young. My early childhood between 1988-1992 was plagued with that pesky +NAO winter regimes. Strangely period between 1990 and 1994 had very cold autumns and disapointing winters,but then came 1995/96 which was magical. I am bit jealous not being a child of 80s as those were amazing winters

Some of them were disappointing also. If you lived in London, we missed the snow in 1979/80, and 80/81 wasn’t much better. Snowless and mild winters for the south. 

1981/82 was cold and snowy everywhere, even London got a covering and it was very cold. 

82/83, a milder winter down south with only snow flurries, same goes for 83/84.

The classics were 1984/85, 85/86 and 86/87. 

Posted
10 hours ago, jules216 said:

My childhood memories pre 9 years old are fairly hazy, I was 6-8 yrs old during the 84/85 - 86/87 winters, and have memories of lots of snowman building and throwing snowballs at school. However, as you say the winters that followed 87/88 through into the early 90s brought little snow. I always think the most formative years are between 9-12 yr old, still a child, but old enough to be able to spend long periods with your friends without needing your parents to watch over you (well back then you could), shame this period of my life coincided with mild wet winters. Winter 90/91 was quite snowy though. Conversely we had a couple of cracking summers in 89 and 90.

• Like 1

Posted
33 minutes ago, damianslaw said:

My childhood memories pre 9 years old are fairly hazy, I was 6-8 yrs old during the 84/85 - 86/87 winters, and have memories of lots of snowman building and throwing snowballs at school. However, as you say the winters that followed 87/88 through into the early 90s brought little snow. I always think the most formative years are between 9-12 yr old, still a child, but old enough to be able to spend long periods with your friends without needing your parents to watch over you (well back then you could), shame this period of my life coincided with mild wet winters. Winter 90/91 was quite snowy though. Conversely we had a couple of cracking summers in 89 and 90.

Aye, winter 90/91 was a classic and the February cold spell was just as good as January 1987. It was very cold for a week or so in February, with blizzard like conditions in places.

Posted

Got to say as  a child of the sixties winters are not the same as then when we seemed to have snow on the ground from New Year until March with some shortlived thaw spells. Thought those days had gone until 2009/10 when we had an old fashioned winter with patches of snow surviving in the woods till mid Mach as in the sixties.              

Just said to young Mr Northernlights today that the neeps were in the same field again as 2010.With a cool NE wind off the Firth this afternoon as we were fencing there it reminded me of this .At the end of another solar minimum maybe we"ll get a cool winter again.

To have had two periods of "Lake Effect" snow off the North Sea within 10 years  ( December 2010 And The Beast From the East  February/March 2018)    I feel makes it possible to happen again

Edited by Northernlights
  • Like 6

Posted
16 minutes ago, Northernlights said:

Got to say as  a child of the sixties winters are not the same as then when we seemed to have snow on the ground from New Year until March with some shortlived thaw spells. Thought those days had gone until 2009/10 when we had an old fashioned winter with patches of snow surviving in the woods till mid Mach as in the sixties.              

Just said to young Mr Northernlights today that the neeps were in the same field again as 2010.With a cool NE wind off the Firth this afternoon as we were fencing there it reminded me of this .At the end of another soalr minimum maybe we"ll get a cool winter again.

To have had two periods of "Lake Effect" snow off the North Sea within 10 years  ( December 2010 And The Beast From the East  February/March 2018)    I feel makes it possible to happen again

There is no doubt in my mind that winter 2020/21 will be one to remember for cold and snow. I think it will be similar to 2010/11, where as the cold will be contained to one month, instead of a three month period like 2009/10, but the cold will be more severe. My prediction is a very cold bitter January, with a average December, and a chilly feb, but with a mild second half. 

Posted
1 hour ago, damianslaw said:

I'm with you on this. I'm younger than you so I don't even remember the 84-87 period. As much as I loved 09/10 and November/December 2010, I so wish I could have experienced something like that growing up in the 90s (95-96 was the only winter I would describe as "memorable" from childhood). 

Posted

Anyone who was about 6 in winter 08/09 suspect will have very happy memories of snowy winters when they look back at there childhood, ending when they were 10 in winter 12/13. So any 18 year old. 

Edited by damianslaw

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Cool & dry, with regular cold, snowy periods.

Yes, 08/09 to 10/11 all had proper 'wintry' weather. Funny that people are mentioning 08/09 as that had snow throughout the 'winter'. I regularly spectated on car rallies, and I distinctly remember three falls of snow:

1; early November in Clocaenog - North Wales; clear for much of the way but once on to the A55/A494, you could see the hills with a white covering.

2; first week of December in mid & south Wales - so much so that most of the first day of RallyGB was cancelled due to the snow/ice on the forest tracks; on the Friday afternoon drive south from Llanidloes to Brecon I stopped in Builth Wells for extra butane/propane gas canisters for my stoves.

3; finally early February of 09 when I was in the Forest of Dean which was covered in a blanket of snow; yet most of the journey down from the North West was clear, it was only from about south of Worcester that the white blanket started.

I personally rate it higher than 17/18, which had a few snow flurries pre-Christmas but never a covering; and the BFTE which wasn't all that great were I live; most of the snow had gone by late afternoon - it was only seeing photos and the news just how much snow had fallen elsewhere. 

I always feel getting our first decent snow covering in mid/late February is too little too late; it's already getting lighter in the morning. For the full effect it's better when it's at the darkest time of the year.

• Like 1

Posted

At my writers club this week we had to write a short story on one of the things that made me happy,this is what I wrote in the 15 minutes allowed.

It was a dark dreary winters morn,Henry opened his curtains,he looked at the clock,8-30 and it was still dark ,he shuffled back to his bed but sleep would not return so he got up dressed,had breakfast and noticed as he gazed out at his flowerless garden that the odd flake of snow was appearing through the drizzle,this always intrigued him how could snow if it fell cover a wet soggy ground.

Outside the world was changing,a thin layer of slush now covered the ground as the sleet turned to snow and slowly the world in his eyes was becoming a more beautiful place, the snow got heavier and heavier and the bushes started to look like marshmallows,he could wait no longer,wellies on and his heavy coat and thick scarf and off he went, it seemed heaven had descended on the earth. There was hardly any traffic and children were coming out of their houses with their sledges,he felt a slight thud on his back,turned round and saw a cheeky young boy had thrown a snowball at him, he scooped up some soft snow and returned the favour and the fight such as it was commenced, other children appeared and soft missiles were appearing everywhere.

Henry felt young again,the weight of his 65 years disappearing from his body,the kids went running off in different directions and quiet descended,he just stood there in the silence breathing in the peace happiness and tranquillity that he felt. He started walking along his road,the storm must have deposited at least 8 inches by now and it still continued to fall ,the occasional car drove slowly  by it a thick white mantle, Henry wanted this day to last forever.

*This is an adapted memory from my youth.

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, Cold & Snowy

I used to love Winters when I was a kid because I didn't have to work/get up at silly times  

In seriousness, I don't enjoy them as much as I used to, but that's only because snow is seemingly becoming less common (despite recent cold spells). I now live in Quinton, Birmingham, one of the highest points in one of the highest cities in the UK and I haven't seen snow (other than some transient winteryness) since I moved here in Oct 2018 - I know that doesn't seem particularly long, but considering that's 6 months of Winter in total and I haven't seen even a minute of solid snowfall...it's quite depressing. 

Edited by PerfectStorm
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, thunder, hail & heavy snow

Must admit, if all our Winters were like the 2008/09 (even if a touch less snowier), it would be a season to get more excited about still. Was enjoyable that Winter, particularly early February 2009 when the white thing invaded here from the East! ❄️

Although I can accept that not everyone loves the snow, personally hope the upcoming Winter will produce something a little more whiter to make up for the low amount of wintriness of the last 2 Winters. In a way, know how PerfectStorm feels. 

54 minutes ago, Rollo said:

At my writers club this week we had to write a short story on one of the things that made me happy,this is what I wrote in the 15 minutes allowed.

It was a dark dreary winters morn,Henry opened his curtains,he looked at the clock,8-30 and it was still dark ,he shuffled back to his bed but sleep would not return so he got up dressed,had breakfast and noticed as he gazed out at his flowerless garden that the odd flake of snow was appearing through the drizzle,this always intrigued him how could snow if it fell cover a wet soggy ground.

Outside the world was changing,a thin layer of slush now covered the ground as the sleet turned to snow and slowly the world in his eyes was becoming a more beautiful place, the snow got heavier and heavier and the bushes started to look like marshmallows,he could wait no longer,wellies on and his heavy coat and thick scarf and off he went, it seemed heaven had descended on the earth. There was hardly any traffic and children were coming out of their houses with their sledges,he felt a slight thud on his back,turned round and saw a cheeky young boy had thrown a snowball at him, he scooped up some soft snow and returned the favour and the fight such as it was commenced, other children appeared and soft missiles were appearing everywhere.

Henry felt young again,the weight of his 65 years disappearing from his body,the kids went running off in different directions and quiet descended,he just stood there in the silence breathing in the peace happiness and tranquillity that he felt. He started walking along his road,the storm must have deposited at least 8 inches by now and it still continued to fall ,the occasional car drove slowly  by it a thick white mantle, Henry wanted this day to last forever.

*This is an adapted memory from my youth.

A lovely image you painted! Great story, thanks for sharing.

Edited by DiagonalRedLine

Posted
11 hours ago, HafrenLMP1 said:

Yes, 08/09 to 10/11 all had proper 'wintry' weather. Funny that people are mentioning 08/09 as that had snow throughout the 'winter'. I regularly spectated on car rallies, and I distinctly remember three falls of snow:

1; early November in Clocaenog - North Wales; clear for much of the way but once on to the A55/A494, you could see the hills with a white covering.

2; first week of December in mid & south Wales - so much so that most of the first day of RallyGB was cancelled due to the snow/ice on the forest tracks; on the Friday afternoon drive south from Llanidloes to Brecon I stopped in Builth Wells for extra butane/propane gas canisters for my stoves.

3; finally early February of 09 when I was in the Forest of Dean which was covered in a blanket of snow; yet most of the journey down from the North West was clear, it was only from about south of Worcester that the white blanket started.

I personally rate it higher than 17/18, which had a few snow flurries pre-Christmas but never a covering; and the BFTE which wasn't all that great were I live; most of the snow had gone by late afternoon - it was only seeing photos and the news just how much snow had fallen elsewhere. 

I always feel getting our first decent snow covering in mid/late February is too little too late; it's already getting lighter in the morning. For the full effect it's better when it's at the darkest time of the year.

Agree, first snowfall mid-late Feb far too late. It's what happened last winter, only decent snow came on 24 Feb, 3 inches which was gone by late afternoon. A heavy snowfall pre Christmas leaves a longer lasting memory . Probably because intertwined with Christmas run in. The 1990 snowfall of 8 Dec being a case in point coming on a Saturday as well. The snowfalls weekend before Christmas in 2009 and 2010 very memorable same reason. Always think second week Jan optimal time for snow and cold, a week when everyone feels like hibernating shaking off the festive excesses. It's a week when most peoples calendar except for work is blank.

Edited by damianslaw
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: 30 Degrees of pure British Celsius

Quite clearly a resounding no from me...even back in the day in my location you had a bit more variation to the weather in winter. Recent winters (since about 2013) other than the easterly and very cold spell/snap at the end of Feb beginning of March 2018 are largely filled with dull days either with rainfall or not and little in the way of frosts or the white stuff and temperatures varying from near normal to very mild.

I've been recording late Autumn/Winter weather since 1983/84 but considering just recording the more notable spells for extreme conditions from now on. God dam Global warming!

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...
18 minutes ago, Froze were the Days said:

Quite clearly a resounding no from me...even back in the day in my location you had a bit more variation to the weather in winter. Recent winters (since about 2013) other than the easterly and very cold spell/snap at the end of Feb beginning of March 2018 are largely filled with dull days either with rainfall or not and little in the way of frosts or the white stuff and temperatures varying from near normal to very mild.

I've been recording late Autumn/Winter weather since 1983/84 but considering just recording the more notable spells for extreme conditions from now on. God dam Global warming!

Ditto!

Being that the one thing that brightens up my winter is snow, I have come to detest it: day after day after day of mild, damp, dank, dreich, dreary misery are not for me... Roll on spring!:oldsad:

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowfall

I still look forward to winter with hope of some cold frosty days and some decent snowfall although Here in south Dorset it’s quite hard to get an extended spell of either. But as a young boy I lived through the legend of 62/63 and most winters in the 60;s seemed to provide at least one decent fall , the seventies started on a pretty poor notebut the we had the sensational blizzard of February 1978 here in the southwest which has never come close to being matched since. And of course the rather snowy winter of 78/79. There were some cracking cold and snowy spells in the Early to mid 80,s. The 90,s were dire here with only 91 and 96 providing anything decent in the way of snow.

The 2000’s strangely have given a bit more to get our teeth into here. The extraordinary thunder snow of jan 2004 and then a run of cold winter 2008- 2010/11. Strangely though 2009/10 was nothing to write home about snow wise here. Nov/Dec 2010 on the other hand was extraordinary, the coldest Dec since modern records began in Dorset (1879) and the first November ice days I have recorded down here in nigh 30 years of recording. Coldest xmas day on record and minus 13c on Boxing Day morning , more days with snow lying than dec1962 many other records set or broken too. 

Since then 2012,2013,2015 ,2018 (the beast) and 2019 have all provided noteworthy snowfall. So yes I still very much look forward to winter but perhaps more in hope than expectation nowadays.

Edited by Broadmayne blizzard

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, T Storms.

Ii prefer winter to summer, it's cooler, the heat wipes me out. In fact today is the first day I haven't sweated all summer. Plus the added benefit of snow. I do get very disappointed with snow less winters. My favourite season is spring though, it can be warm but comfortably so, the thunderstorms can start, but it can also still snow. 

Edited by alexisj9

Posted

I have a feeling, after the winter of 2020/21 is over, we could be looking at this thread in a different way. Something is definitely brewing in the atmosphere. A snowmaggedon is on its way!!!!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!
23 minutes ago, Sunny76 said:

I have a feeling, after the winter of 2020/21 is over, we could be looking at this thread in a different way. Something is definitely brewing in the atmosphere. A snowmaggedon is on its way!!!!

my guess is record mildness/wetness at some point, flood misery as well especially in Feb

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm and sunny

Hate winter just as much as I've always done, hate cold, hate snow, hate frosts, hate dark, hate scraping car windscreen, probably missed a few more things i hate about winter.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Continental winters & summers.
On 28/08/2020 at 23:02, damianslaw said:

Always think second week Jan optimal time for snow and cold, a week when everyone feels like hibernating shaking off the festive excesses. It's a week when most peoples calendar except for work is blank.

That's what I liked about 2010 (would've 2013 if I was living in the country), and 2015. As beautiful as December 2010 was, the fact that winter for the most part stopped before New Year took away from what could've been.

Posted
  • Location: Ashbourne,County Meath,about 6 miles northwest of dublin airport. 74m ASL
  • Weather Preferences: Cold weather - frost or snow
  • Location: Ashbourne,County Meath,about 6 miles northwest of dublin airport. 74m ASL
2 hours ago, CongletonHeat said:

Hate winter just as much as I've always done, hate cold, hate snow, hate frosts, hate dark, hate scraping car windscreen, probably missed a few more things i hate about winter.

The wind and rain lol

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Frosty and fresh

September at last so out of the box i come, hoping for early Autumn frosts and some of the white stuff over winter. so will poss get another damp soggy mess for the next six months. Hope not as it's started to spoil my fav part of the year.

Fingers crossed 

• Like 1

Posted

Not always a soggy mess. The last two winters have been disappointing, but 17/18 was chilly, and parts of 16/17 had some chilly periods.

We haven’t seen a decent run of cold winters since 2012/13, which seems like an age ago.