Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Do You Enjoy Winter As Much As You Used To?

Do You Enjoy Winter As Much As You Used To?  

73 members have voted

1. 1. Do You Enjoy Winter As Much These Days?

• I enjoy it more these days. It rocks!
    • I enjoy it the same amount
    • I enjoy it less
    • Ahhhhhh, I hate Winter!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: T storms, severe gales, heat and sun, cold and snow

Everyone seems to give winter 18/19 a bad press and rightly so  but here in the far south we actually had a couple of snowfalls, 31st January saw a couple of cms even here on the south coast. 

Posted
23 minutes ago, Freeze said:

Everyone seems to give winter 18/19 a bad press and rightly so  but here in the far south we actually had a couple of snowfalls, 31st January saw a couple of cms even here on the south coast. 

It was very cold at times during January and early feb of 2018/2019, but just felt a little disappointing compared to the previous winter. We didn’t have a proper snowfall in London that year. 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: 30 Degrees of pure British Celsius
10 hours ago, Sunny76 said:

Not always a soggy mess. The last two winters have been disappointing, but 17/18 was chilly

No it wasn't (please don't say it felt chilly to you)...but one of the 'colder' winters of the last 5 or 6 which says it all!

Below pic proves it and this is going by 1981-2010 series.

2018_winter_MeanTemp_Anomaly_1981-2010.gif

• Thanks 1

Posted
31 minutes ago, Froze were the Days said:

No it wasn't (please don't say it felt chilly to you)...but one of the 'colder' winters of the last 5 or 6 which says it all!

Below pic proves it and this is going by 1981-2010 series.

2018_winter_MeanTemp_Anomaly_1981-2010.gif

It was chilly, so please don't tell me otherwise.

Posted

So you like arguing against actual facts or are you again referring to how you feel?...I've been recording since 1983/84 and have a Stevenson Screen in my garden and here in the south east, December was a mixed month with temps near normal, January was by far the biggest temp anomaly of the three being mild and February a chilly month by and large due to the last week.

• Like 1

Posted
8 minutes ago, Froze were the Days said:

So you like arguing against actual facts or are you again referring to how you feel?...I've been recording since 1983/84 and have a Stevenson Screen in my garden and here in the south east, December was a mixed month with temps near normal, January was by far the biggest temp anomaly of the three being mild and February a chilly month by and large due to the last week.

You keep saying you've recorded records since 1983/84, like its a badge of honour. 

I felt cold quite a lot of the time during the winter in question. It doesn't have to be below 3c everyday for 3 months to feel cold. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...
45 minutes ago, Froze were the Days said:

I know what you mean @Froze were the Days... apart from the BFTE, winter 2017-18 was nothing exceptional, one way or t'other: one week of lying snow does not a chilly winter make. Indeed, six of the 1960s' winters were colder than that one was!:oldgood:

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, storms and other extremes

December 2010 was the pinnacle of winter for me. Pretty much the perfect winter month and unlikely to ever be beaten IMO.

2nd year of uni, loving life and yet to have the anxiety and depression ravage me. A great time in my life, probably the best. So everything compared to that magical month pales.

Edited by CreweCold
  • Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Bitter Cold in winter and Extreme heat in summer
Just now, CreweCold said:

December 2010 was the pinnacle of winter for me. Pretty much the perfect winter month and unlikely to ever be beaten IMO.

Got to agree mate. I was going out for lunch from work at midday and the temp was -6c. Got a picture of my car showing outside temp of -15c at 630am. And I’m not rural either. 

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, storms and other extremes
1 minute ago, Decemberof2010 said:

Got to agree mate. I was going out for lunch from work at midday and the temp was -6c. Got a picture of my car showing outside temp of -15c at 630am. And I’m not rural either. 

Driving to the pub for Christmas Day lunch....had been minus double digits overnight and everything was still blanketed in a gorgeous layer of glistening snow. It was perfection.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: LP - Horizontal Drizzle - Nice Blizzards

Our Winter excursions have become less and less due to the advancing years -  gone are the Cumbrian 10 and 12 milers - still got ALL the memories if you've a day or two to spare :D

it's really Six Months of cold. Still look forward to relation visits over in Sedbergh and Oxenholme

………and a bit of lamppost watching now and again when logged on here....!

Posted
7 minutes ago, CreweCold said:

Driving to the pub for Christmas Day lunch....had been minus double digits overnight and everything was still blanketed in a gorgeous layer of glistening snow. It was perfection.

Yes - our local in Catforth was rammed packed as usual Christmas Eve - now shut and boarded up

Hard to imagine those days  returning.

Edited by Iceaxecrampon

Posted
13 minutes ago, CreweCold said:

2nd year of uni, loving life and yet to have the anxiety and depression ravage me. A great time in my life, probably the best. So everything compared to that magical month pales.

Definitely (1979 Came close)

Posted

Still got this Gem though - we live on the Fylde of Lancashire.

72685554_EpicLetdown.thumb.png.f3e3e52ed35b7e35065024900a01a741.png

• Like 1

Posted
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.

I actually shed a tear of happiness during the 2010 winter, Here it was days upon days night upon night of snowfall & blizzards where you have a job to breath air in while outside. The single track lanes were full wall to wall with drifts up to the windowsills and the longetivity was so unexpected. Dropped to -22c one night..

• Like 2

Posted
7 hours ago, Freeze said:

December 15th 2019 - and that was it over in Grassington - I really thought we were in business.

Poor.

Posted
12 minutes ago, Polar Maritime said:

I actually shed a tear of happiness during the 2010 winter, Here it was days upon days night upon night of snowfall & blizzards where you have a job to breath air in while outside. The single track lanes were full wall to wall with drifts up to the windowsills and the longetivity was so unexpected. Dropped to -22c one night..

Yes December 2010 was a classic, and probably one of the coldest ever months. Hard to believe it’s nearly 10 years ago.

I remember dropping documents off to the Centre Point tower, which is as central as central London goes, near Tottenham court  road and Oxford Street. 

I was on the 17th floor and could see the power station out towards Ponders End, which is about 15 or so miles away. Could see the steam coming out from miles away, and the surrounding buildings. Think London had daytime highs of 0c and minus 1, but it was also very cold because of the windchill. 

The heavy snow set in around early Saturday morning and we had a continuous fall of snow until Sunday. Also remember the snow lying round for a few days, because it was so cold. 

• Like 1

Posted
14 minutes ago, Iceaxecrampon said:

December 15th 2019 - and that was it over in Grassington - I really thought we were in business.

Poor.

Do you mean December 15th 2018? 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowfall
9 hours ago, Freeze said:

Indeed so Freeze we had a decent snowfall here in south Dorset too on the 31st Jan 2019

0465AE7E-478C-4429-96B0-F7FD788A4D21.jpeg

• Like 1

Posted
10 minutes ago, Broadmayne blizzard said:

Indeed so Freeze we had a decent snowfall here in south Dorset too on the 31st Jan 2019

0465AE7E-478C-4429-96B0-F7FD788A4D21.jpeg

T’was actually more than what we got in feb/March 2018

31st January 2019

34F4B7B8-ECF5-459D-AB1D-508DC5EB659C.jpeg

Edited by Freeze
  • Like 1

Posted
3 hours ago, Sunny76 said:

I felt cold quite a lot of the time during the winter in question. It doesn't have to be below 3c everyday for 3 months to feel cold. 

So most of your posts are regarding how you feel regarding conditions, temperatures?...you should state that rather than saying it was 'cold', 'chilly', 'very warm' etc. as if that was fact. For example your reply to member Freeze you state January 2019 was 'very cold at times'...is this how you felt at the time? (which is usually the case)  or actually anomaly wise?

You seem to have this incredible memory for certain periods/months which date back years stating in posts how it was and what you were wearing and to be honest not always on the money, by the way I do have a badge of honour for my winter records (other than 2008/9) and you need one considering how woeful they're generally becoming.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: warehamwx.co.uk

I've only just managed to wipe the monstrosity of December 2010 out of my mind. 

It was cold, but snowfall was terrible here despite the hype. I actually had more snow on February 3rd 2015.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, snow, thunderstorms, warm summers not too hot.

For me 62/63 is the pinnacle. I remember my dad digging us out, getting the snow away from the front door so we could actually get out. Everything outside completely buried in snow, god knows what it was like in the Pennines! We got hit massively in Oldham in that Winter. But yes as others say November/December 2010 was decent too. As was the previous Winter. Thought we'd never see proper snow again but we did. I'm thinking the same now actually haha. Hopefully the next one will deliver the goods.

Edited by Frost HoIIow
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...
3 minutes ago, Frost HoIIow said:

For me 62/63 is the pinnacle. I remember my dad digging us out, getting the snow away from the front door so we could actually get out. Everything outside completely buried in snow, god knows what it was like in the Pennines! We got hit massively in Oldham in that Winter. But yes as others say November/December 2010 was decent too. As was the previous Winter. Thought we'd never see proper snow and again but we did. I'm thinking the same now actually haha. Hopefully the next one will deliver the goods.

Absolutely it is, @Frost Hollow... I'll never forget waking-up to that peculiar 'rustle' on my bedroom window (Jan 31 1962?) and thinking it might have been raining... But, no, the snow was all the way up to the top of the garden fence!!!!! :yahoo:

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowfall
23 minutes ago, Mapantz said:

I've only just managed to wipe the monstrosity of December 2010 out of my mind. 

It was cold, but snowfall was terrible here despite the hype. I actually had more snow on February 3rd 2015.

You should have come west to Winfrith and beyond Mapantz we had far more than that.

Edited by Broadmayne blizzard