Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Do You Enjoy Winter As Much As You Used To?

Do You Enjoy Winter As Much As You Used To?  

73 members have voted

1. 1. Do You Enjoy Winter As Much These Days?

• I enjoy it more these days. It rocks!
    • I enjoy it the same amount
    • I enjoy it less
    • Ahhhhhh, I hate Winter!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, thunder, hail & heavy snow

Afternoon,

Maybe not the best time of year for this topic, but with some recent comments in the Autumn Chat, Moans and Ramps thread of some people despising the upcoming seasons, it seemed this was worth starting up. 

These days, I don’t have as much excitement about Winter as I used to. I think I’ve just grown to enjoy the longer daylight hours and warmth of Summer so much, that the short daylight hours of Winter just isn’t as appealing anymore. I mean I quite like the run up to Christmas and the magical feeling it brings. But for me, Winter only seems worth it if it’s accompanied by some snow and also a good amount of dry weather. It can also be nice and refreshing going for an early morning walk on a cool, crispy, frosty, morning. Otherwise, I just find halfway through the season or so, I start craving the increased daylight hours of Spring and some of the warmth it starts to bring. 

How about everyone else?

• Like 7

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms and snow

For me I like winter about the same amount as I used too, maybe slightly less. That's mainly because of the same reason, I do prefer the longer daylight hours and warmth in the summer as well, there's just something about it

As a weather enthusiast I'm more of an all rounder, thunderstorms and heat in the Summer will always be my number one favourite, but at the same time I get just as excited for snow and extreme cold events too. Though I find it's a different sort of excitement when it comes to cold and snow for me, thunderstorms and heat I get more adrenaline and pumped up more, where snow and cold I feel the type of excitement like I was kid at Christmas . I do enjoy winter storms too with crazy winds and also the prospect channel showers and thundery activity, especially from September through to around January. Then of coarse February and March are probably the 2 months I've seen my most snow days over my whole life, down here on the island.

Though again my struggles with winter are the long nights, they do start to drag on for me after a while too, and also the odd winters where there is a lot of cloud and murk and not much else going on, last winter and the winter was a bit like that for me, so I didn't really enjoy them last 2 that much, especially last winter.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold snowy winters, warm springs, hot summers, warm then stormy autumn

About the same, my expectations for winter is always a continuation of autumn, albeit a little darker with a higher chance of snow and cold...

Don't mind the windstorms if they are actually interesting (nowadays it seems that low pressure systems that bring 60mph gusts here don't even get named, whilst less windy systems do???)

But I would love at least a few days of snow and/or cold, even if it is dry, frosty and sunny with some very cold nights. Even though I am not expecting weeks on end of blizzards.

Edited by CheesepuffScott

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine and 15-25c

for me i hate winter..its too dark and too cold for far too long..its gone from being my favourite season when i was younger to my least favourite..if i was still in the UK i dont think it would be least favourite because UK winters you can still go out and do stuff..heck just the fact there is no snow shoveling is a blessing in itself.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Csa/Csb

The only good thing about winter is the Christmas/New Year period. Otherwise, I can't wait for until late Feb when things come to life.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, plumes, snow, severe weather

I hate almost everything about winter. It's bloody freezing on most days, overcast/rainy on most, and it gets dark stupidly early.

I do like snow but even that's becoming a rarity these days.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, thunder, hail & heavy snow
32 minutes ago, CheesepuffScott said:

Don't mind the windstorms if they are actually interesting (nowadays it seems that low pressure systems that bring 60mph gusts here don't even get named, whilst less windy systems do???)

I’ve found that to be the case a few times also. Or some of the named windstorms that turn out to be less wild than forecast! 

The odd windstorm or two can be interesting as well as a few odd squally Winter Cold Fronts with drastic drops in temperatures. 

Personally hate to have a repeat of Winter 2019/20. Apart from a few odd bright days, it was like a Winter of nightmare. All that cloudy and wet weather around.

@Zak M The last few years (apart from Winter 2017/2018, especially with the late February Easterly, and the dumping some Southern spots got in Winter 2018/19), certainly feels like snow has become a rarer visitor. Wouldn’t be surprised, however, if next Winter was snowier (I hope, lol).

Edited by DiagonalRedLine
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winter, warm/hot summer with the odd storm thrown in

I still look forward to winter as much as I used to despite the fact I usually end up disappointed afterwards. I don't usually start looking forward to winter until around mid-late September when the last of the summer warmth is fading though. 

Posted

Permanently working from home now, so don't have to worry about commuting, so hoping for an absolute shocker of a winter.

Monster snow drifts, -20c nights - bring it on !!

Posted

I think it's my age, but I really don't like winter anymore. I still get excited by snow, especially "proper" snow, but can't stand the cold. 

Long warm sunny days all the way for me now, if only I could be a bird and fly South for winter!

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heat, sun and thunderstorms in summer. Cold sunny days and snow in winter

Am I the only person who prefers the shorter daylight hours as opposed to longer ones? As more of nocturnal person I find that I can get things done better when it's dark, and it's also a lot more peaceful overall as there's less going on around me. As for winter itself, I am looking forward to it a little less than I used to because of the lack of variety; ie, lack of snow and lack of cold crisp sunny days. There's far too many mild or cool overcast days now.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!

No, loved winter as a bairn, loads of snow and cold, now it's just 6-12 degrees, rain and Atlantic air, not my type of weather

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and dry, thunderstorms, mild temps (13-22°C).

I have never enjoyed winter and I never will do

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, storms and other extremes

I have fond memories of December 2010. Hoar frosted trees throughout the day, everything frozen over, azure blue skys etc. A winter in that ilk is pure magic...shame it's so hard to achieve.

Edited by CreweCold
  • Like 8

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: The Actual Weather ..... not fantasy.

i know im in a minority, but i like misty dull gloomy winters days...

i do like a decent blizard, but dont like cold for the sake of cold... so a proper winters spell is ok for a while, i liked dec 81 and dec 10 , otherwise it can be mild but in saying that i do think we need a cold spell to make spring sweeter.

• Like 2

Posted

I have always disliked winter but in the past few years have developed more of a tolerance for it. I find the lack of bright natural light very challenging. I also don't mind a bit of cold, frosty weather here and there but I find it hard to deal with if it's prolonged.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Continental winters & summers.

I like everything that winter is capable of i.e. frost, ice, snow, blue skies, crisp winter walks etc., but so often what we get landed with isn't even proper winter. As a sun lover, the dullness of our winter really gets to me. I do get a little excited about winter around October, and as others have mentioned, enjoy the winter chase leading up to Christmas/New Year, but if we're still in autumn mode come January, I'm generally more interested in spring by February.

Posted

I still act like a kid at the prospect of snow, especially if a heavy snowfall is forecast. I also love very cold frosty clear blue skies - nearly as much as clear sunny blue skies in summer, something magical about them. Sunshine in the depths of winter is a real tonic and to be welcomed by everyone - we need it!

I like the build up to christmas and the thought this could be the next epic cold snowy winter - it adds to the general christmas frenzy. However, reality often bites hard once the New Year comes, and the rest of the winter can be especially trying when plagued by endless grey wet mild conditions. The same feeling occurs in the early stages of summer, May and June are hopeful months, July reality sets in, August sense of what will be will be, Nov/Dec, Jan and Feb correlate.

Edited by damianslaw
  • Like 3

Posted
13 hours ago, I remember Atlantic 252 said:

No, loved winter as a bairn, loads of snow and cold, now it's just 6-12 degrees, rain and Atlantic air, not my type of weather

A lot of people seem to hate snow, when i bring it up in conversation. 

Snow is much better than rain.

Posted
7 hours ago, damianslaw said:

I still act like a kid at the prospect of snow, especially if a heavy snowfall is forecast. I also love very cold frosty clear blue skies - nearly as much as clear sunny blue skies in summer, something magical about them. Sunshine in the depths of winter is a real tonic and to be welcomed by everyone - we need it!

I like the build up to christmas and the thought this could be the next epic cold snowy winter - it adds to the general christmas frenzy. However, reality often bites hard once the New Year comes, and the rest of the winter can be especially trying when plagued by endless grey wet mild conditions. The same feeling occurs in the early stages of summer, May and June are hopeful months, July reality sets in, August sense of what will be will be, Nov/Dec, Jan and Feb correlate.

Cold sunny crisp days are more welcome than the snow for me, but I do like snow, or cold sunny days after snowfall. 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!
41 minutes ago, Sunny76 said:

A lot of people seem to hate snow, when i bring it up in conversation. 

Snow is much better than rain.

Aye, horrid thing every winter, always raining here and some folk say 'at least it's not snaw'

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in summer, thunderstorms, snow, fog, frost, squall lines

There is beauty and enjoyment to be found in every season but you’d have to look hard for it in an average winter in S England. Hopefully, this coming winter will provide some variety and interesting weather conditions, not just slate grey skies, wind and rain. I still love seeing snow falling and the initial few days of a covered landscape, but it soon gets tiresome and I just don’t like long periods of cold, especially the damp cold the UK gets. Also, by January, the long nights start getting to me. One reason I do my Christmas decorations at the end of November, cheers me up no end lol. I do love December and Christmas especially but January and February are depressing. But by February you know that Spring isn’t that far away

• Like 4

Posted
39 minutes ago, I remember Atlantic 252 said:

Aye, horrid thing every winter, always raining here and some folk say 'at least it's not snaw'

Mostly the youngsters who say it. Sorry to any of you born after 1990, but it does seem to be the case the younger ones can’t handle snow. 

But, I have bumped into people from that generation who love snow, so maybe I’m just over generalising.