Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Storm Ellen - Wednesday and Thursday

Jamie M

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms & Snow

Storm Ellen has been named by Met Eireann with some severe wind gusts expected.

image.thumb.png.c7c014e20306353e61eb44790ad0d5d9.pngimage.thumb.png.6148779db787bf68df3e61d93b20186c.png 

Unprecedented in summer with some models showing a stingjet feature on it.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm dry summers

Storm Ellen has been named by Met Eireann 

The Met office have a yellow warning in place from 8pm tomorrow to 23:59 Thursday in parts of the west

Strong winds are expected to cause some disruption to travel and power supplies on Thursday.

What to expect

• Some delays to road, rail, air and ferry transport are likely
  • Probably some bus and train services affected, with some journeys taking longer
  • Delays for high-sided vehicles on exposed routes and bridges likely
  • Some short term loss of power and other services is possible
  • It’s likely that some coastal routes, sea fronts and coastal communities affected by spray and/or large waves
  • Some damage to trees with debris on roads are possible given the time of year

A spell of strong southerly winds are expected to develop on Wednesday night across southwest England and move north across western parts of Wales, southwest Scotland and all of Northern Ireland during the early hours of Thursday. Although there is some uncertainty in the track of the low, gusts of 65 mph are possible inland, with 70 mph or more possible around coasts and hills. Whilst winds may temporarily ease during Thursday morning, a band of heavy rain is likely to move east during Thursday afternoon and evening accompanied by some locally squally winds.

https://www.metoffice.gov.uk/weather/warnings-and-advice/uk-warnings#?tab=map&map=Warnings&zoom=5&lon=-3.50&lat=55.50&fcTime=1455667200&date=2020-08-19&id=a1b9d673-d3a1-4556-8ec5-542b0634a008&details&date=2020-08-19&id=a1b9d673-d3a1-4556-8ec5-542b0634a008&details

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: storms - of the severe kind

Yes, it's looking serious. This may have the remnants of TS Kyle with it. Watching this develop is going to be fascinating

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Storms, Extreme Weather

Is this the first named storm in Summer?

• Like 2

Posted

Surprised this thread isnt more busy tbh, looks like a serious storm considering its August 

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Love heat & thunderstorms, but hate the cold
3 minutes ago, Dbarb said:

Surprised this thread isnt more busy tbh, looks like a serious storm considering its August 

same, when i woke up I thought it was just another boring overcast day until my mum told me it was raining in maidstone quite a bit. So I went on the radar expecting isolated shower but was not expecting what I actually saw 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Not too hot, excitement of snow, a hoolie
12 minutes ago, Donegal said:

Red wind warning issued for County Cork Ireland. Exceptional for mid August. 

Incredible. https://www.met.ie/warnings  9pm til midnight Weds

aug19meteireaanRED.png

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, T Storms.
50 minutes ago, Dbarb said:

Yep the trees are still in leaf, may not be very pleasant. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winter, warm/hot summer with the odd storm thrown in
1 minute ago, Thunder Snow said:

Could I ask a question, if this is the remains of tropical storm kyle why has it been given another name

I think it's because it's not the same system just the energy from the tropical storm has aided the development of this storm. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Posted
1 minute ago, matt111 said:

I think it's because it's not the same system just the energy from the tropical storm has aided the development of this storm. 

The low/cyclone that was once ex Tropical Storm Kyle is no longer identifable but there is some tropical energy lingering. It often is quite wooly, the whole tropical transistion/ naming situation. there is a bit in here.https://www.netweather.tv/weather-forecasts/news/9102-tropical-cyclones---plain-sub-post-or-extra-a-guide-to-low-pressure-naming-with-ernesto 

• Thanks 4

Posted
4 minutes ago, Thunder Snow said:

Could I ask a question, if this is the remains of tropical storm kyle why has it been given another name

It's not quite the remains. it's the remains linking up with a standard Atlantic low over the next few hours, creating a new low pressure, since that formed in the north Atlantic is gets our naming as an Atlantic Storm. Still a lot to resolve as to it's exact track and intensity, won't really know what it's going to be like until it hits. But as others have said, with Trees in leaf and  Spring Tides all sorts of problems might arise. Remember south Coast of Ireland is full of caravans and camper vans at this time also.

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in summer, thunderstorms, snow, fog, frost, squall lines
40 minutes ago, Thebeastfromtheeast said:

A red warning for wind, in summer! incredible. A sign of things to come this autumn and winter maybe? 

Unfortunately, you might be right. The seas are warm. Hopefully any stronger storms won’t hit until the trees have dropped their leaves. 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: storms - of the severe kind

When you look at Sat, some people are tempted to think, that swirl out west is the storm, it's not. That is another low

Ireland's Storm is going to develop in the flow. So we'll have a rapidly strengthening storm, with the chance of a sting jet.

Developing storms, more dangerous, than mature weakening storms 

• Like 3

Posted
14 minutes ago, stainesbloke said:

Unfortunately, you might be right. The seas are warm. Hopefully any stronger storms won’t hit until the trees have dropped their leaves. 

Lets just hope it isn't as bad as 2013-14! 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot sunny , cold and snowy, thunderstorms
1 hour ago, Thebeastfromtheeast said:

A red warning for wind, in summer! incredible. A sign of things to come this autumn and winter maybe? 

I couldn't think of anything worse that a wet and windy Autumn/Winter. But would imagine, that type of weather will be the form horse for 2020/21 Autumn/Winter 

Posted
2 hours ago, stevofunnelcl said:

When you look at Sat, some people are tempted to think, that swirl out west is the storm, it's not. That is another low

Ireland's Storm is going to develop in the flow. So we'll have a rapidly strengthening storm, with the chance of a sting jet.

Developing storms, more dangerous, than mature weakening storms 

@stevofunnelcl looking at the latest sat image I suspect you can see it forming, would you agree?

image.png.2e60fa0671a0103714591d9a9923b80b.png

Edited by Dorsetbred
  • Like 1

Posted
Posted
  • Weather Preferences: extremes n snow

GFS picked this up 5 days ago.!!

• Like 1