Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Coldest day to include a severe thunderstorm

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Lighting and sunshine

The prospect of a UK heatwave brings along excitement for me because I see high temperatures as a contributory ingredient towards a noteworthy thunderstorm.

Now, given that many additional ingredients are required to aid thunderstorm development, what is the coolest day you've seen a severe thunderstorm crop up in?

And no, thundersnow don't count unless it had severe elements.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, T Storms.

The was a storm in march a few years back, may be 2014/15 was around a while, rain hail snow, and cloud to ground strikes that did some damage. Dover and folkestone area. Not aware of what the temp was now though. 

Found a news article https://www.kentonline.co.uk/deal/news/rail-chaos-after-lightning-strike-14921/

Also was the storm with the loudest strike I've ever heard, and blacked out electric on my road for a few mins, don't know about the rest of Dover. All the car alarms went off too. 

Edited by alexisj9
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, T Storms.
1 hour ago, alexisj9 said:

The was a storm in march a few years back, may be 2014/15 was around a while, rain hail snow, and cloud to ground strikes that did some damage. Dover and folkestone area. Not aware of what the temp was now though. 

Found a news article https://www.kentonline.co.uk/deal/news/rail-chaos-after-lightning-strike-14921/

Also was the storm with the loudest strike I've ever heard, and blacked out electric on my road for a few mins, don't know about the rest of Dover. All the car alarms went off too. 

https://www.itv.com/news/meridian/story/2014-03-27/lightning-strike-causes-rail-chaos-across-kent/

Better link, the lightning that caused the damage hit in folkestone. Not sure if it was that one I heard or, if so, glad I don't live in folkestone, it was loud enough here. 

• Like 1

Posted

I think it depends on the definition between 'thundery showers' and a 'thunderstorm', as in Spring there's been plenty of times here especially down along the Cheshire Gap when temps have only been around 10'c but i've still experienced showers with embedded hail and a constant lightning rate.

• Like 1

Posted

January 2014, not sure of the actual date, but we had a pretty severe squall line cross most of the country i believe 

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Continental winters & summers.
6 hours ago, ChezWeather said:

January 2014, not sure of the actual date, but we had a pretty severe squall line cross most of the country i believe 

That would be Saturday 25th. Indeed very impressive!

• Like 5

Posted

January 28th 2013 after the cold spell. When the milder air pushed in we had a very unexpected thunderstorm that produced deep blue lightning. Wasn’t forecast at all which made it even more special!

Edited by adam93
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Location: Saltdean,Nr Brighton,East Sussex,Hither Green,SE London.
  • Location: Saltdean,Nr Brighton,East Sussex,Hither Green,SE London.

1984?85 or 86..I think around 13th August could be a little either side of this date..fairly sure it was one of those years.

IOW coach trip from Hastings with my Nan and Grandad.

Temperatures pegged at 13c but very hot over in Northern France.

Biblical downpours,hail that cracked the coach window and terrific thunder and lightning en route.

It cleared during the afternoon for a reasonable day trip!

Someone might be able to find a chart for the day in question?

• Like 1