Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Songs that remind you of late summer, moving into autumn?

Sunny76

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: frosty mornings,freezing fog(makes the trees look nice!),snow,summer storms

Save a prayer - Duran Duran.  All of my heart - ABC. Come on Eileen - Dexy's. All around Sept 82. Wonderful stuff.

Posted
14 minutes ago, damianslaw said:

Yes that one definitely so, not a big hit. Came at the very end of summer. I listened to it a few weeks ago first time in ages.

Yeah, late summer 1994, and definitely got quite a bit or airplay back then.

I also remember this was the time when Wet Wet Wet were coming to the end of their 15 week reign at number 1, and Whigfield was knocking about. D:Ream was also a big hit earlier that year. Ah memories lol.

Posted
22 minutes ago, thunderpants said:

Save a prayer - Duran Duran.  All of my heart - ABC. Come on Eileen - Dexy's. All around Sept 82. Wonderful stuff.

I connect Save a prayer by Duran Duran, with having to go back to school in September. A mixed feeling of excitement and dread of the new term, but once you settle in after the first day its like you never left for the summer holidays.

• Like 1

Posted
5 hours ago, thunderpants said:

Two very different (Save a prayer and Come on Eileen) but great songs!

Edited by Don

Posted

I listened to a countdown from late August 82 and both those songs feature. 

I’m not so keen on the Dexy’s from that era. Think their stuff from 1980 was better. Geno was my favourite. 

As for Duran though, I think Save a Prayer is by far their best. So different to the other material they made.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...

Late summer 1973: 

September 1968: 

Edited by General Cluster

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: frosty mornings,freezing fog(makes the trees look nice!),snow,summer storms
12 hours ago, Don said:

Two very different (Save a prayer and Come on Eileen) but great songs!

Music was quite diverse back then but also more memorable than todays tunes, in my opinion.

Posted
2 hours ago, thunderpants said:

Music was quite diverse back then but also more memorable than todays tunes, in my opinion.

Right up until the early to mid 90s, you had more variety of styles in the charts and music in general, but even more so pre 1985. Todays music and especially since 2010 and beyond, all sounds the same. Bland and boring singer/songwriter crap sung by middle class borefests, or terrible RnB or hip hop with auto tune, and no musicians in sight or a musical instrument.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: The Actual Weather ..... not fantasy.
16 hours ago, Sunny76 said:

I’m not so keen on the Dexy’s from that era. Think their stuff from 1980 was better. Geno was my favourite. 

" searching for the young soul rebels" era, fantastic album. Saw DMR in Nottingham in late 80, they refused to play "geno", embarrassed by its success, only to sell out with "come on Eileen" and "Jackie Wilson says".. commercially successful and popular, but not a patch on "geno" , "there there my dear" and my favourite "dance stance".

3 hours ago, thunderpants said:

One of my pet hates.... the way music since the mid 00's has become stale, uninspired, safe, nice, manufactured, drivel.

Im a huge fan of pop music, have followed it since i was a boy in the 60's, i might not have liked all the new styles we produced (i hated glam) but i appreciated them for their originality. Youth culture from the mid 50's until the mid 00's was diverse, every couple of years a new style emerged as the youth of the day created their own new music and fashions. It was very diverse through the period mentioned and possibly peaked in the 80-82 period where there was at least 13 different styles.

I blame waterman, and cowell, along with an education system that stiffled creativity. Manufactured music, tv talent shows,,, and coldplay.... dreary vapid crap made by adults. Its adults and commerce that have killed off creativity and a generation who have been conditioned to be nice, safe, compliant.

Adults should be facilitating the ideas the younger generation were creating, managing them. Instead its all about adults manufacturing the latest boy/girl band or the next x factor style solo artist (which usually lasts an album or so). Just look at whats in the charts now.... manufactured band, corporate whore bands (coldplay, bastile, the 1975 etc) and solo artists...

• Like 1

Posted
23 minutes ago, mushymanrob said:

" searching for the young soul rebels" era, fantastic album. Saw DMR in Nottingham in late 80, they refused to play "geno", embarrassed by its success, only to sell out with "come on Eileen" and "Jackie Wilson says".. commercially successful and popular, but not a patch on "geno" , "there there my dear" and my favourite "dance stance".

One of my pet hates.... the way music since the mid 00's has become stale, uninspired, safe, nice, manufactured, drivel.

Im a huge fan of pop music, have followed it since i was a boy in the 60's, i might not have liked all the new styles we produced (i hated glam) but i appreciated them for their originality. Youth culture from the mid 50's until the mid 00's was diverse, every couple of years a new style emerged as the youth of the day created their own new music and fashions. It was very diverse through the period mentioned and possibly peaked in the 80-82 period where there was at least 13 different styles.

I blame waterman, and cowell, along with an education system that stiffled creativity. Manufactured music, tv talent shows,,, and coldplay.... dreary vapid crap made by adults. Its adults and commerce that have killed off creativity and a generation who have been conditioned to be nice, safe, compliant.

Adults should be facilitating the ideas the younger generation were creating, managing them. Instead its all about adults manufacturing the latest boy/girl band or the next x factor style solo artist (which usually lasts an album or so). Just look at whats in the charts now.... manufactured band, corporate whore bands (coldplay, bastile, the 1975 etc) and solo artists...

Lol that sums it up, and yes agree with your comment on Dexys. I personally didn’t like anything they did post 1981, as they went all folky. Celtic Soul Rebels, and Lets Get it Straight from the Start are decent tunes, but can’t match the quality of Dance Stance or Geno, or There there.

Back to the corporate crap of Coldplay and 1975(who I don’t know anything about, as I avoid radio one like the plague). There seems to be a large number of whiny young singers, men and women. Ellie Goulding is one of them, and it seems to be fashionable over the last few years.

Hopefully the 2020s sees a return to more exciting music, like we had until around 2005.

Posted
7 minutes ago, Sunny76 said:

Hopefully the 2020s sees a return to more exciting music, like we had until around 2005.

I doubt it.  Thank god for the 60's, 70's, 80's and 90's!

• Like 2

Posted
3 minutes ago, Don said:

Agree  However for me it was the mid 90s onwards that the demise began to happen    when Rvae music became comercial 

Posted
4 minutes ago, Don said:

Sad thought. I would include the first few years of the 2000s to be fair, but the golden period was definitely 60s-90s. But 2000-2005 had some gems. That mid 2000s era already seems a long time ago.

40 plus years of decent music to listen to. I just listen to house mixes or jazzy soul stuff from the current time. Pop music is boring from the present day. 

Posted
57 minutes ago, Sunny76 said:

Sad thought. I would include the first few years of the 2000s to be fair, but the golden period was definitely 60s-90s. But 2000-2005 had some gems. That mid 2000s era already seems a long time ago.

40 plus years of decent music to listen to. I just listen to house mixes or jazzy soul stuff from the current time. Pop music is boring from the present day. 

bib

Definitely... in fact personally 2003 was one of the best years ever, beaten only by the mid 60's.. There was a new wave of rock and indie which proved that old styles could be still used and made fresh. Queens of the stoneage, auf der maur, foo fighters, hives,, white stripes, rasmus, HIM, and more made guitar based music great again. You still had decent original dance/trance before it went EDM. Even boybands were classier... blue for eg, they composed their own music so were more then just puppets. Black music was good too, some cracking R n B tracks Blu cantrel, Ashanti, Eve, even guitar pop was exciting - busted, mc fly, avril lavigne, youngsters bashing instruments playing their own music and having fun... thats what pop should be about.. imho..

Personally, i have no complaints about the first half of the 00's. But from 06 onwards it became bland, trite, unoriginal, although there were some good tracks now and again..

The opinions i hold on this are shared by many of my pop music loving friends, those of us who have followed the scene and been part of it, for decades.

Posted
5 hours ago, mushymanrob said:

Remeber Dexy's on top of the pops with "Jackie Wilson says" and a picture of Jockey Wilson in the background.. Oh and i agree with a lot of what you say. I think micky most was a sort of early simon cowel back in the day and don't get me started on stock aitken and waterman. 

Posted

Remeber Dexy's on top of the pops with "Jackie Wilson says" and a picture of Jockey Wilson in the background.. Oh and i agree with a lot of what you say. I think micky most was a sort of early simon cowel back in the day and don't get me started on stock aitken and waterman. 

One could argue Dead or Alive is where the creativity came to an end with You Spin me Round. 1985 had a lot of duff middle of the road type songs, whereas 1979-84 had a great mix of British new wave, tail end of disco and transition to jazz funk and electro funk, 2 Tone ska, Hi NRG etc. But, 1985 brought us Live Aid and blandness central.

Posted

How about Divine in 1985 with "you think you're a man " my god what was that all about. please don't you tube it you won't sleep tonight.  

Posted
27 minutes ago, thunderpants said:

How about Divine in 1985 with "you think you're a man " my god what was that all about. please don't you tube it you won't sleep tonight.  

Divine... ate fresh dog pooh in that film pink flamingos... 

Posted
1 hour ago, thunderpants said:

the difference was that most allowed his young acts a degree of creative activity. 

Watermans lot brought nothing to the product other then their name once pwl got going.

Waterman pre pwl produced dead or alives you spin me round... 

But we have no creative young groups like the kinks, stones, who, jam, smiths, madness, etc. 

Posted
6 minutes ago, mushymanrob said:

the difference was that most allowed his young acts a degree of creative activity. 

Watermans lot brought nothing to the product other then their name once pwl got going.

But we have no creative young groups like the kinks, stones, who, jam, smiths, madness, etc. 

Totally agree.

Posted
2 hours ago, thunderpants said:

I think Divine came out around 1984. His music is terrible and the bad side of camp 80s.

Posted
1 hour ago, mushymanrob said:

There isn’t any decent british sounding British groups now. It’s all about drill music, or boring musicians from east London who speak multicultural London english.