Storms and Convective discussion- 15th August onwards

Just had an almighty clap of thunder! :clap:

... Well if it wasn’t thunder then something very bad has just happened on the A55! :unsure2:

Edit: Confirmed thunder. :oldgood:

51726F86-F759-4800-818B-014B2958D4D6.png

Edited by Dangerous55019
Add screen shot
  • Like 3
  • Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Didn’t know we was expecting an avalanche today 🤔

Stonking day for storms. Had two cells with continuous thunder [but mostly no visible lightning again]. Here's some pictures of one storm that I tracked as it progressed up the M11 which produced some

Am enjoying a weekend away 60 miles S of Prague in the pretty town of Písek, the storm front that came in this evening was dramatic! 

Posted Images

39 minutes ago, NorthantsSnow said:

A bit of thunder and lightning around Northants in the past 10 minutes. Soon brightening back up again, as the rain continues to fall.

Typical, just as I come up to Blackpool!!!

Anyhow, can see interesting clouds out NW in the Irish Sea, a layer with a distinct lower layer (dead centre in pic), just where the white is on the radar.

20200924_125954.jpg

Screenshot_20200924-125821_Chrome.jpg

• Like 4

There's been some nice cb's moving over in a NNE direction,  some gaining height but become stunted and the tops fragmenting.  Nice little cluster in this pic, east of Macclesfield.

IMG_20200924_144418.jpg

• Like 2

Just had a crackle of thunder here. Been plenty of clouds with top hats when I was looking at them this afternoon so I'm not surprised!

20200924_155430.jpg

• Like 2

Lightning and very loud thunder near Leeds, did not expect this today, better than the storms we had in summer! 

Edited by Summer18
  • Like 2

Torrential almost downburst in Blackpool an hour ago, got soaked.

15.40 on the radar, lost its punch almost as soon as it had hit the prom.

Edited by matty40s
  • Like 2

I have never seen anything like that before, when the sky turned green I knew something was coming but didn’t expect that! Multiple CG’s and the ground is white over with hail, temperature has is also dropped to just 4C. Absolutely insane! 

• Like 9

I suggest that’s a mini supercell near Leeds. It’s been at 10 strikes/min for two hours now. When I was nearby, the wind was drawing strongly towards a clearly rotating core roughly 200yds wide.

Am open to other hypotheses also, could just be a long-lived pulse storm with coincidental rotation..

• Like 2
1 minute ago, Pat Butcher said:

I suggest that’s a mini supercell near Leeds. It’s been at 10 strikes/min for two hours now. When I was nearby, the wind was drawing strongly towards a clearly rotating core roughly 200yds wide.

Am open to other hypotheses also, could just be a long-lived pulse storm with coincidental rotation..

I did notice the rotation in the storm also, can still hear the thunder now. It was actually scary driving through it because I thought the windscreen was about to smash! It’s the closest I have seen to a supercell for many years anyhow.

• Like 4