Cold?
Local
Radar
Snow?

Storms and Convective discussion- 15th August onwards

4 minutes ago, Sentinel said:

Strange weather here in Southend.

The radar shows heavy rain over Southend yet in my part of the town - Southend - Shoebury, there isn't any rain falling at all. I wonder if the stiff easterly wind is keeping it away.

We’ve got very heavy rain here in Benfleet and last time I checked the clouds overhead were moving due North...

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Stonking day for storms. Had two cells with continuous thunder [but mostly no visible lightning again]. Here's some pictures of one storm that I tracked as it progressed up the M11 which produced some

Didn’t know we was expecting an avalanche today 🤔

Am enjoying a weekend away 60 miles S of Prague in the pretty town of Písek, the storm front that came in this evening was dramatic! 

Posted Images

Our backgarden is flooded in Southend. Just had to go out in it to move the poor rabbit up on to the grass. Soaked through in about 15 seconds. Never seen anything like it.

It's given the guttering a good clean, mind.

• Like 4

Me and my big mouth!

Just had a massive battering off the storm as it came through and wind direction and cloud direction all changed within a matter of minutes. When it all calms down I'm going to have a walk on the seafront to see what it looks like.

• Like 4
29 minutes ago, Paul Sherman said:

Yh as above just had 45 minutes of some of the most torrential rain I have seen here in 20 years. Garden is under water but again zero thunder or lightning 

Better than the near 12 hours of Dull Grey Murky Drizzle we've had up here all day. 😛 

______

Anybody want to swap 🤪

Edited by Ryukai
  • Like 2

It's awesome outside at the moment! It's starry, but Cumulus is bubbling up, and the moon is shining from behind it. Love nights like this..

• Like 5
39 minutes ago, Ryukai said:

Better than the near 12 hours of Dull Grey Murky Drizzle we've had up here all day. 😛 

______

Anybody want to swap 🤪

nothing here today either, pants, but been good summer for lightning/thunder

• Like 1

sure it was only last weekend we had thunderstorms about 2am, all the heat had been gone for a couple of days by then.. wonder if the early hours beckons to be a repeat of that ,
showers already developing and intensifying throughout South Wales, and something more torrential heading into Bristol. 

Showers look like the spots on my face during a hot day in my early 20s! hehe

• Like 2
41 minutes ago, alexisj9 said:

Where? 

In the English channel most likely.

This is an extract from Dan's forecast:

"Overnight, rain and showers will likely affect many areas, with particular focus over the English Channel for deeper convection where showers are likely to become increasingly numerous in a pattern more akin to autumn. Here there could be a few lightning strikes, more especially towards the end of the night, close to some adjacent coasts. A low-end SLGT has been issued to cater for this risk. The odd funnel cloud or waterspout may be possible almost anywhere close to southern and western coasts."

• Like 1
16 minutes ago, Zak M said:

In the English channel most likely.

This is an extract from Dan's forecast:

"Overnight, rain and showers will likely affect many areas, with particular focus over the English Channel for deeper convection where showers are likely to become increasingly numerous in a pattern more akin to autumn. Here there could be a few lightning strikes, more especially towards the end of the night, close to some adjacent coasts. A low-end SLGT has been issued to cater for this risk. The odd funnel cloud or waterspout may be possible almost anywhere close to southern and western coasts."

Shame the wind direction seems wrong for them to push on land. Will look out for flashes. 

• Like 1
3 hours ago, Spikey M said:

Our backgarden is flooded in Southend. Just had to go out in it to move the poor rabbit up on to the grass. Soaked through in about 15 seconds. Never seen anything like it.

It's given the guttering a good clean, mind.

image.thumb.png.13385ddb0087050e2db5317f3801985d.pngimage.thumb.png.7f97ac0a20f9465aa2ad2ecefd184bb1.pngimage.thumb.png.d053c3addd2c58df1c087bc84e619f4e.png image.thumb.png.91098fad82cef839e0e5cdb375de3c2f.png

It looks like some convergence from that deepening surface low helped strengthen that phenomenal bit of rain affecting Southend & Shoeburyness.

Shoeburyness measuring 22.6 mm within the latter half of the hour.

image.thumb.png.74df53cf0c3d95df1370332415badfc3.png

I certainly dodged a bullet here, would be the highest rain rates I'd have seen for a good many years.

image.thumb.png.ff87a05413eb3099395b5738fc2c6da6.pngimage.thumb.png.1d53d68575ccb08c83facdc317895700.png

Wind direction also appears to have change during the brunt of it, according to an automatic PWS & the Met Office station at Shoeburyness.

Edited by Jamiee
  • Like 4