Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Storms and Convective discussion- 15th August onwards

Supacell

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, snow, and wind storms

Hey everyone! I know it's a little bit early to be looking towards the convective season already haha, but I just wanted to recommend this radar for when we inevitably do our watching towards France and the Channel.

I like the fact that it updates so fast, has 500m resolution, and has a very large scale, going up to 650mm/h. I also really appreciate the archive feature, will be handy when reminiscing over past events!

WWW.METEOCIEL.FR

Meteociel propose le radar français de Méteo-France sous forme de cartes avec zoom dynamique.

• Like 3

Posted

Example of the save GIF function and archive, showing a line of isolated storms that produced visible lightning from my area on this night.

WWW.METEOCIEL.FR

Meteociel propose le radar français de Méteo-France sous forme de cartes avec zoom dynamique.

anim_jgp3.gif

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Posted

Last one from me, honest! I also really like the ability to highlight an area of precipitation and see it's estimated mm/hr rainfall rate.

Can't wait until this thread becomes busy again in the coming months. Good luck to everyone this season, I have an unusually good gut feeling about this one!!  

Screenshot (38).png

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, plumes, snow, severe weather
10 minutes ago, LightningLover said:

I have an unusually good gut feeling about this one!!  

Glad I'm not the only person!

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winter, warm/hot summer with the odd storm thrown in

Well so far this winter has proved I'm in one of the worst places for snow, hopefully this year won't show the same in regards to storms (as last winter tried it's best to).

• Like 1

Posted
1 hour ago, matt111 said:

Well so far this winter has proved I'm in one of the worst places for snow, hopefully this year won't show the same in regards to storms (as last winter tried it's best to).

Not "I'm" Matt, "WE"...

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Spanish plumes & stormy winters. Facebook @ Lance's Lightning Shots

Good find with the radar @LightningLover! I'll have to see how well that works on mobile for any potential chases later in the year.

I can't say I share you guys' optimism after the last few pathetic storm seasons! 2020 didn't even bother to squeeze out a classic plume event!

• Thanks 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winter, warm/hot summer with the odd storm thrown in
1 hour ago, matt111 said:

Don't know why I wrote last winter, I meant last summer, or maybe I should've just said last year for that matter as the whole year awful for storms here. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm dry summers

Day 1 Convective Outlook

VALID 06:00 UTC Tue 16 Feb 2021 - 05:59 UTC Wed 17 Feb 2021

ISSUED 07:43 UTC Tue 16 Feb 2021

ISSUED BY: Dan

The main focus will be associated with a shortwave migrating northeastwards across England and Wales on Tuesday afternoon and evening. Clusters of heavy showers are likely, which may be capable of producing a few sporadic lightning strikes - with a particular area of interest highlighted by the low-end SLGT (25-30% chance) in parts of the West Country / South Midlands as enhanced low-level wind convergence develops near the Bristol Channel and may aid convective development to produce a few lightning strikes. Given 30-40kts DLS and a few hundred J/kg CAPE, some cells may become organised at times with perhaps a low-topped supercell. Hail is likely in several showers.

http://www.convectiveweather.co.uk/forecast.php?date=2021-02-16

• Like 5

Posted
  • Location: Caterham-on-the-hill, Surrey, 190m asl (home), Heathrow (work)
  • Location: Caterham-on-the-hill, Surrey, 190m asl (home), Heathrow (work)

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - snow, Irish sea convection. Summer - thunderstorms, hot sunny days

WRF 06 Z has quite a bit of CAPE for my location in the next few hours. Just had a short lived shower. Let’s see what happens.

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: severe storms,snow wind and ice

First sferic's SW of Wells.

WWW.BLITZORTUNG.ORG

Blitzortung.org provides lightning and thunderstorm information in real time on maps for USA, United Kingdom, Australia, new Zealand, Europa, Africa, Asia and other Countries.

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms. Warm weather. Not hot or cold weather.

Thunder North of here. 

• Like 6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storm, drizzle

I see thunder is back, storms on the menu for today although probably not for me but it's nice that I can come out from my hole.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms & Snow

image.thumb.png.55896e105f393af205ad3619eba1c49f.pngimage.thumb.png.decc4f66f4474ce7c48f150b5d6a127d.png

Lovely to see the storms back.

Edited by Jamie M
  • Like 6

• 2 weeks later...
Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Spanish plumes & stormy winters. Facebook @ Lance's Lightning Shots

Too early in the year for fireworks, but that little low coming up from Biscay midweek breaks out some showers on the models.

• Like 6

Posted
WWW.CONVECTIVEWEATHER.CO.UK

Forecasting thunderstorms and severe convective weather across the British Isles and Ireland for up to the next 5 days.

b.thumb.png.3487b6008dbff150d8fb385e0a6ee606.png

First tiny scraps of elevated storm potential of the year!

Edited by LightningLover
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms & Snow

image.thumb.png.7ebd9cc70336b954808e84629befd64a.png

Day 1 Convective Outlook

VALID 06:00 UTC Wed 03 Mar 2021 - 05:59 UTC Thu 04 Mar 2021

ISSUED 07:26 UTC Wed 03 Mar 2021

ISSUED BY: Dan

An upper low, initially over the western English Channel on Wednesday morning, will drift slowly northeastwards then east-northeastwards to become centred near west London by midnight Wednesday night, then east-southeastwards over the Strait of Dover by 06z Thursday. The associated cold pool will aid in some steepening of the mid-level lapse rates, yielding some weak elevated CAPE - but increasing to a few hundred J/kg CAPE in response to SSTs and any diurnal heating inland. Showery outbreaks of rain will likely slide across parts of central and southern Britain through Wednesday and Wednesday night, although the risk of lightning with this is considered rather low (5% chance). Nonetheless, the slow movement - especially on Wednesday night over parts of East Anglia and/or the East Midlands - could result in some locally large rainfall accumulations.

Rather extensive cloud will likely limit insolation, however some support for breaks in the cloud to develop in south and more especially southwest England which would allow greater surface heating to occur. Here, given the slack surface pattern and a small low centre in the vicinity, low-level convergence coupled with orographic forcing may aid forced ascent to generate a few heavy showers. Forecast profiles are rather saturated with weak shear and limited CAPE, and so the risk of lightning is considered quite low (10% chance) but a few isolated lightning strikes might be possible. The main area of interest is primarily southern counties of England, perhaps as far north as Gloucestershire and encompassing part of south Wales depending on sufficient cloud breaks. The moist boundary layer (low cloud bases) and convergence may allow a few funnel clouds to occur.

• Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Columus Bigus Convectivus

Not really expecting anything for here in the midlands....but its always good to hear our local weatherpersons talk of potential thunder shower in their summary

Interesting radar already....awaiting the grey stuff to burn off to see what's occurring...

Edited by Arnie Pie

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, T Storms.
3 hours ago, Andy Bown said:

Lovely mid level clouds through the mist this morning. Certainly hints at interest today.

8E8A2448-2D3D-48B9-B9ED-6DD799F8853B.jpeg

Still have fog here.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, T Storms.
1 hour ago, Eagle Eye said:

Still mist and cloud here, hasn't cleared yet. 

Still foggy here, tried to look like clearing at around one, then rebuilt again. Looking west on radar lot's of rain. They can keep it, if no thunder in it lol.