Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Storms and Convective discussion- 15th August onwards

Supacell

Posted

Too early yet but latest GFS run showing signs of a heatwave sometime in the first week of September, could be the next chance for possible storms. Though of course it's still a good two weeks or so

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Plumes and streamers
5 hours ago, TJS1998Tom said:

Too early yet but latest GFS run showing signs of a heatwave sometime in the first week of September, could be the next chance for possible storms. Though of course it's still a good two weeks or so

Literally not believing anything until the day it happens.

2020 has teased all the fun out me at this stage. Will keep an eye on developments, but the odds of a storm here in the south east is vanishingly slight. We would need a miracle

Edited by Flash bang flash bang etc
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in summer, thunderstorms, snow, fog, frost, squall lines

Thunderstorm warnings here in the Czech Republic today, chances of severe thunderstorms, hail, torrential rain, wind gusts up to 90kph (60mph) and they mention the possibility of supercells. It’s definitely windy and I can see tops of storms towards the W

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Lighting and sunshine
12 hours ago, Weather-history said:

So what triggered off the storms over the North Sea?

It was night, so no diurnal convection.  It is not like winter with a deep cold airmass over a "warm"  North Sea. It wasn't topography.

I heard it was something to do with the plume interacting with the edge of storm Ellen, plus was elevated when over the sea so not reliant on surface heating.

The elevated storm I saw in June seemed to lose its intensity over land and pick up again over the north sea.

---------------------------------------------------------------------

I'm calling it. I think today will provide some nice surprises....

http://www.convectiveweather.co.uk/forecast.php?date=2020-08-22

Edited by Chris Lea-Alex
  • Thanks 2

Posted
49 minutes ago, stainesbloke said:

Thunderstorm warnings here in the Czech Republic today, chances of severe thunderstorms, hail, torrential rain, wind gusts up to 90kph (60mph) and they mention the possibility of supercells. It’s definitely windy and I can see tops of storms towards the W

What bit are you in? Would be interesting to see how things develop via radar.

• Like 1

Posted
1 minute ago, Xanderp009 said:

Probably

There’s a curious feature moving SEwards from wales that day, but CAPE is meagre, so you’ll probably just see some heavy showers developing by evening.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, T Storms.
51 minutes ago, Chris Lea-Alex said:

I heard it was something to do with the plume interacting with the edge of storm Ellen, plus was elevated when over the sea so not reliant on surface heating.

The elevated storm I saw in June seemed to lose its intensity over land and pick up again over the north sea.

---------------------------------------------------------------------

I'm calling it. I think today will provide some nice surprises....

http://www.convectiveweather.co.uk/forecast.php?date=2020-08-22

Not for me yet again lol. Everything is north or east this year. Still can't win them all. 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storm, drizzle
7 minutes ago, Flash bang flash bang etc said:

There’s a curious feature moving SEwards from wales that day, but CAPE is meagre, so you’ll probably just see some heavy showers developing by evening.

It's from Wales what's the problem

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in summer, thunderstorms, snow, fog, frost, squall lines
1 hour ago, Flash bang flash bang etc said:

What bit are you in? Would be interesting to see how things develop via radar.

In Prague. The sky is starting to look quite threatening 

image.jpg

• Like 2

Posted
1 hour ago, Xanderp009 said:

It's from Wales what's the problem

The land track it takes is favourable, but even if it were to initiate in wales as a decent storm it needs the right conditions to stay organised, and plenty of energy, which at this point is highly unlikely. Ironically this is exactly what we needed the other week directionwise, but still it’s better than nothing.

Probably at least two weeks now before anything of any convective interest pops up again

Posted
5 minutes ago, Flash bang flash bang etc said:

When are you changing your name to Praguebloke?

I’ll do it today lol Staines lives on in my heart 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Stormy autumn, hot and sunny summer and thunderstorms all year round.

We had a bit more lightning here on Thursday night along with probably the most heaviest rain I have ever seen.

I could tell something was up that night as there was faint heat lightning going on at 10:00 to 12:00PM. And then later some brighter fairly close sheet lightning occurred with distant rumbles.

There was a lull in the lightning but then a massive downpour happened and by the end of it there was a very large and deep puddle of water outside our back door which thankfully slowly seeped down our soak away to the bottom of the garden. And as the rain moved away an intra-cloud strike occurred as the light was on in the kitchen which I saw light up the ground outside the window above the house which produced a closer rumble of thunder.

Then there were a few more distant strikes around the area with distant rumbles until the lightning and heavy rain moved away leaving the winds to arrive and normal showers. 

• Like 2

Posted
16 hours ago, Weather-history said:

So what triggered off the storms over the North Sea?

It was night, so no diurnal convection.  It is not like winter with a deep cold airmass over a "warm"  North Sea. It wasn't topography.

It was essentially the edge of a plume being drawn northwards from western Europe across the North Sea towards Scandinavia, becoming engaged by a pronounced shortwave swinging northwards (that also aided the increase in lightning activity near Wales/SW England too). The models had been playing with the idea of elevated thunderstorms erupting close to the East Anglia coast as early as Monday from memory, so not bad for a Day 4 forecast.

• Thanks 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms/Clear and Frosty/Snow Showers

Thunder just north of Derby.Two good cracks and a very heavy shower.

• Like 4

Posted

Weather warning from Met Office for basically the entirety of the UK south of Manchester on Tuesday and Wednesday.  Gusts of up to 50mph+, 60mph+ in exposed/costal areas.

https://www.metoffice.gov.uk/weather/warnings-and-advice/uk-warnings#?date=2020-08-25&id=11b08d93-9a9f-42d5-ab25-62f4a79c0e92&details 

Guessing it's for this thing, look how almost perfectly circular those isobars are, almost looks like a hurricane like that 

airpressure.png

Edited by Ryukai
  • Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, plumes, snow, severe weather

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3

Posted

Have been getting a constant rumbling for the last hour or so, that sounds like elevated thunder.  The radar is clear,  no visible convection.  Wondered if it really could be an elevated storm?

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, plumes, snow, severe weather
1 minute ago, Frosty hollows said:

Have been getting a constant rumbling for the last hour or so, that sounds like elevated thunder.  The radar is clear,  no visible convection.  Wondered if it really could be an elevated storm?

I think you might need something to eat. 

• Like 1

Posted
45 minutes ago, Zak M said:

I think you might need something to eat. 

Well, apparently it's a firework competition 15miles away. 6 hours worth. How boring!

Edited by Frosty hollows
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Lighting and sunshine
47 minutes ago, Frosty hollows said:

I think it's strong winds.  I think that's what I can hear in Newbury where I temporarily am