Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Storms and Convective discussion- 15th August onwards

Supacell

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot and Thundery, Cold and Snowy

A few beefy looking cells firing up round London. Got my eye on these as they track N. A classic convective day in the making 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and a cracking thunderstorm

Some lovely loud and 'deep' rolling rumbles from that Swindon cell that's recently appeared from nowhere on the radar. Lovely way to start the morning. Gimme more!  

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms

I can see the robust N London convection but sadly too far to hear the thunder. Looks like I’m in the cruddy zone AGAIN where convection is firing about 5-10 miles to the north

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Plumes and streamers
4 minutes ago, Harry said:

I can see the robust N London convection but sadly too far to hear the thunder. Looks like I’m in the cruddy zone AGAIN where convection is firing about 5-10 miles to the north

And realistically we aren’t getting a 2nd round. The air is probably spent

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storm, drizzle

Ifthat London storm can just stay for another 3 5 hours please maybe

Edited by Xanderp009

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, T Storms.
50 minutes ago, StormLoser said:

With the talk a page back on CG+ strikes, the most memorable CG+ strike I experienced was back in the 1970s in Durham. We'd had a day of thunderstorms and as 8pm came around everything had passed and settled to steady rain.

I decided to take a bath. And mid-bath I noticed everything had gone weirdly silent and the rain increased. The most intense single blue-white flash shone through the bathroom window, causing the lights to brown-out. After 3-4 seconds followed the loudest crash of thunder I've ever heard - and I've had strikes land 100 feet from me.

This thunder shook the bath water and I honestly thought the ceiling would come down. It was that intense.  Everything was vibrating and shaking.

The single strike landed about a mile away in some houses, and the fire station staff on seeing it dispatched a couple of fire engines and were able to put out a roof fire. Fortunately no casualties apart from a lad lightly shocked from wearing headphones for his music.

Newspaper next day sported the headline "Thunderbolt rocks Framwellgate Moor".   I only wish I had been able to witness the flash directly. it must have been one hell of a CG+!

Yep it's what happened here in 2014 a huge flash, and about four seconds later, it was like a bomb exploded, lights went out and there was more than one fire. It hit some railway related, and there was a fire in five different places along the route, plus the channel tunnel was effected. 

Posted

Yep! Storm rolling in West London from the best loads of thunder no visible lightning as yet....I seem to have a problem lately seeing lightning

• Like 2

Posted

convective downpour in Andover. No thunder or lightning observed though. Feels very much an April-showers type day.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storm, drizzle

Storm near Leicester (not driving) maybe

IMG_20200817_121816.jpg

IMG_20200817_122426.jpg

IMG_20200817_122429.jpg

IMG_20200817_122403.jpg

IMG_20200817_122426.jpgmaybe

Edited by Xanderp009
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, snow, strong winds

Woah big crackle out of the cell south of London. Just electrified

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and Cold

Fairly intense shower there with one clap of thunder.  Suprisingly lacking in lightning activity in comparison to the other two cells over London despite the whites and purples on the radar.

• Like 1