Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Storms and Convective discussion- 15th August onwards

Supacell

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms

Went on a lovely morning walk this morning under blue skies and warming temperatures. Already signs of convection starting to build

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Plumes and streamers
5 minutes ago, Harry said:

Went on a lovely morning walk this morning under blue skies and warming temperatures. Already signs of convection starting to build

Bodes well

Posted
39 minutes ago, Azazel said:

I thought I heard a rumble of thunder when getting ready for work about 7am.

A couple of strikes near to Beacon and Ladle Hill around 0700

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Spanish plumes & stormy winters. Facebook @ Lance's Lightning Shots

Some heavy, thundery showers around Hants this morning. The ones in M27 area are creeping my way so I'll keep an eye on them. Wouldn't usually bat an eyelid at some showers, but it's been that bad a year.

• Like 2

Posted
1 minute ago, Lance M said:

Some heavy, thundery showers around Hants this morning. The ones in M27 area are creeping my way so I'll keep an eye on them. Wouldn't usually bat an eyelid at some showers, but it's been that bad a year.

I'm with you on that one. Local station has received 18mm from the thundery rain this morning. 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, snow, strong winds

Big towers going up to my west (first pic) and south (second pic)

D001677B-24A1-444C-A8C3-05905BDAC9C5.jpeg

2963488B-E23E-4619-A57C-8911DA7A2B1B.jpeg

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Continental. Dry air, storms and snow.

Didn’t check radar, heavy shower suddenly appeared to SW, more heavy rain. No fireworks though, again. 

Posted

Even with a NNE steering flow looks like the same old areas gunna get the spoils again this is looking towards NE London something about to go bang there soon

IMG_20200817_102548.jpg

• Like 8

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Most(see in interests section.)
15 hours ago, Paul Sherman said:

Drive home was interesting clear Convergence line running up the M11 and A11 with massive Cbs to the west and stratiform grey to the east and south east. The boundary was so marked and dipped into temps of 79f near Diss then back down to 69f near Colchester. So took the scenic route back west along the A14 then South on the A11 through Thetford. Lovely skies and Cgs. 

Arrived back to dead slate grey skies in SE Essex and temps of 64f.

It really is pitiful living anywhere within 10 miles of the coasts this year with these NW or WNW moving Storms. And the real power resides in area through the heart of the country this year. 

I agree with your comments , however , I'd like to extend the mileage of living from coast from 10 to 45 miles from the coast as there's been nothing here despite thunderstorms

forecast for eight days in a row including sever red warnings but nowt happened.  

Just don't think bbc meto whoever will ever able to forecast thunderstorms accurately and snow ! 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Wake me up when the storms arrive

With the talk a page back on CG+ strikes, the most memorable CG+ strike I experienced was back in the 1970s in Durham. We'd had a day of thunderstorms and as 8pm came around everything had passed and settled to steady rain.

I decided to take a bath. And mid-bath I noticed everything had gone weirdly silent and the rain increased. The most intense single blue-white flash shone through the bathroom window, causing the lights to brown-out. After 3-4 seconds followed the loudest crash of thunder I've ever heard - and I've had strikes land 100 feet from me.

This thunder shook the bath water and I honestly thought the ceiling would come down. It was that intense.  Everything was vibrating and shaking.

The single strike landed about a mile away in some houses, and the fire station staff on seeing it dispatched a couple of fire engines and were able to put out a roof fire. Fortunately no casualties apart from a lad lightly shocked from wearing headphones for his music.

Newspaper next day sported the headline "Thunderbolt rocks Framwellgate Moor".   I only wish I had been able to witness the flash directly. it must have been one hell of a CG+!

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Wake me up when the storms arrive

Whole string of showers going up in Sussex and Surrey!  Watching with interest. We had good towering cumulus from the get-go.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Plumes and streamers

The storms picked a day when I’m glued to the computer doing admin stuff

To be honest it’s drizzling right now despite being ‘in a thunderstorm’ according to all weather apps

Posted
2 minutes ago, Team Squirrel said:

It's almost unfathomable out there, a chill E breeze, lower clouds going SW to NE, towers heading north, shocking humidity...it's a right old mess!

View: S/SW.

IMG_2308.JPG

IMG_2311.JPG

It’s been like this since this morning seems I’m stuck in the middle clouds building around West London with no action