Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Storms and Convective discussion- 15th August onwards

Supacell

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, T Storms.
21 minutes ago, Mitch the motorbike storm said:

That cell in the ocean was giving me so many flashes , why was that one flqsh so bright

No idea, but I expect its one of the ones I could hear. Had quit a few deep rumbles from it here. But couldn't hear thunder after every flash. Probably had a few positive strikes or something. 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: severe storms,snow wind and ice
Just now, alexisj9 said:

No idea, but I expect its one of the ones I could hear. Had quit a few deep rumbles from it here. But couldn't hear thunder after every flash. Probably had a few positive strikes or something

Yes that looks that way,if you have a positive strike it tends to be louder

it's the same if you have positive IC the thunder would be louder

the storm i had the other morning was mostly elevated with a few rumbles and i suspect that they where mostly -IC but boy i did here a few big booms to my south and you just know that they where +CG's with big bright repeated flashes,you just know when the big daddies strike.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, storms and other extremes
22 minutes ago, Allseasons-si said:

Yes that looks that way,if you have a positive strike it tends to be louder

it's the same if you have positive IC the thunder would be louder

the storm i had the other morning was mostly elevated with a few rumbles and i suspect that they where mostly -IC but boy i did here a few big booms to my south and you just know that they where +CG's with big bright repeated flashes,you just know when the big daddies strike.

Yep you sure know about it when a +CG comes along. We had one close to here last Tuesday night and it sounded like an explosion...I was at the window and you could feel the glass vibrate.

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and a cracking thunderstorm
15 minutes ago, CreweCold said:

Yep you sure know about it when a +CG comes along. We had one close to here last Tuesday night and it sounded like an explosion...I was at the window and you could feel the glass vibrate.

+CG's are the ones I absolutely love - I enjoy them because of their sound, but also because (especially when it's at night) The Mother absolutely craps herself, it's so so funny. She's fine with them during the day, but during the hours-of-darkness she doesn't like them.

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: severe storms,snow wind and ice
44 minutes ago, CreweCold said:

I remember that 2008 storm some 12 years ago when i was with my brother and there was an almighty bang or two that it shuck the floor,the sound doesn't do it justice on this clip prob due to s**t tech back in the day,but this would of sounded awesome if it was recorded by today's standards.

i don't know if it was a +cg out of the camera view back then but there was a flicker of IC in there.

Edit:just running that clip again and my brother said that it was running down the side and presumably down the right hand side as there was a big flash before the IC in the clouds,it would make sense that there was a +cg there out of the cam.

Edited by Allseasons-si
  • Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, plumes, snow, severe weather

Yep, +CGs are my absolute favourite as well. You witness at least one within almost every single storm if you go to Florida.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: warehamwx.co.uk
1 hour ago, Allseasons-si said:

you just know that they where +CG's with big bright repeated flashes

+CG's rarely flash, that's how you can tell the difference between + and - CG lightning.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winter, warm/hot summer with the odd storm thrown in

Something appearing in the channel near the IOW?

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Plumes and streamers

Managed to lock myself out. Slept in the van for a few hours, and it was actually cold!

Anyway long story short I’ve just managed to get indoors, and after all that it decides to thunder again!

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot and Thundery, Cold and Snowy
3 hours ago, Zak M said:

Yep, +CGs are my absolute favourite as well. You witness at least one within almost every single storm if you go to Florida.

Last heard and saw one of them in Majorca a few years back. The flash was followed by about 5 or 6 unmistakeable sonic booms all within about 3-4 seconds and then an ambient roar for over one minute! You know when one of them has hit that’s for sure. Tends to set the alarms off everywhere for fun! 

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Plumes and streamers
7 minutes ago, East_England_Stormchaser91 said:

Last heard and saw one of them in Majorca a few years back. The flash was followed by about 5 or 6 unmistakeable sonic booms all within about 3-4 seconds and then an ambient roar for over one minute! You know when one of them has hit that’s for sure. Tends to set the alarms off everywhere for fun! 

I think it may have been a positive strike that struck the tree the other day near me. There was a blinding flash and then a huge bang a split second later. I was half a mile away at the time. It had set the ground on fire around the tree itself.

I’m sure I got a momentary warning beforehand: a piece of paper on the dashboard lifted up onto the windscreen for  a couple of seconds and I remember thinking “could that be...” and then the lightning struck.

Edited by Flash bang flash bang etc
  • Like 6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - snow, Irish sea convection. Summer - thunderstorms, hot sunny days

Had quite a few  +CGs on Monday night and had quite a few in June as well. We actually tend to get a lot around here for some reason. A lot of them seem to be either when a storm hits land after being in the river or because we often get decaying storms which tend to produce more positives strikes at the end of their life. Maybe something to do with Liverpool as well I don’t know but I heard there may be a correlation with pollution.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms

Positive strikes are my favourite too - that unmistakable blinding (and often solitary) flash followed by the booming shockwaves and cracks that sound like a backfiring motorbike. I often hear them on approaching/departing mature storms or alternatively, as has already been said, storms that are just forming or decaying - presumably because you have the charge build up still there but decreasing cloud volume to discharge in the form of IC bolts (?).

Hoping today proves another exciting one and that many areas get the benefit of them. Estofex for those who have not yet seen it going for a 50% risk area and Level 1 across most of England and Wales - Estofex are often precise enough to exclude the SE corner when necessary but see today they’ve elected to include it, so hopefully a widespread bumper day of storms on offer. 

Edited by Harry
  • Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Dull And Uninteresting Weather

spacer.png

Day 1 Convective Outlook

VALID 06:00 UTC Mon 17 Aug 2020 - 05:59 UTC Tue 18 Aug 2020

ISSUED 06:27 UTC Mon 17 Aug 2020

ISSUED BY: Dan

Upper trough will migrate northwards across Britain and Ireland on Monday, the cold pool aloft serving to increase instability and steepen mid-level lapse rates. Remnants of convective rainfall from Sunday are likely to be affecting parts of southern Scotland, Ireland and perhaps SW Wales / SW England on Monday morning, and while a few isolated lightning strikes are possible the risk is considered rather low. Through the day, diurnal heating of the residual warm, moist low-level airmass with temperatures in the low 20s Celsius and dewpoints in the mid-high teens Celsius will yield 500-1,000 J/kg CAPE. Scattered showers and a few thunderstorms are likely to develop across many parts of England and Wales, particularly aided by orographic forcing and low-level convergence zones (such as peninsula convergence). Steering flow will move showers/storms towards the N or NNE initially, but this will veer to the NE by evening.

PWAT is lower than previous days, but still 25-30mm, and hence the risk of localised flooding is possible where showers train over similar areas, but overall the impressively high local rainfall totals of the weekend are not expected to be repeated. Shear will be rather weak and so showers/storms will tend to pulse, with daughter cells developing from outflow - the strongest cells could produce gusts 35-40mph and perhaps hail up to 2.0cm in diameter locally. Low cloud bases, enhanced low-level vorticity near convergence boundaries and this magnitude of CAPE suggests that a few funnel clouds or a weak tornado may be possible. Showers/storms are expected to slowly weaken through the evening hours, although may persist close to some southern and western coasts overnight.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - snow, Irish sea convection. Summer - thunderstorms, hot sunny days

I am a bit worried about the flow direction. A bit too much of a westerly component later which is bad news for my location. This is one day when I wish I was already in Huyton.

Posted
2 hours ago, Flash bang flash bang etc said:

I think it may have been a positive strike that struck the tree the other day near me. There was a blinding flash and then a huge bang a split second later. I was half a mile away at the time. It had set the ground on fire around the tree itself.

I’m sure I got a momentary warning beforehand: a piece of paper on the dashboard lifted up onto the windscreen for  a couple of seconds and I remember thinking “could that be...” and then the lightning struck.

If you’re lucky/unlucky enough to witness a strike close by in a quiet place then you actually hear the crackle in the air just before it happens which seems odd given that light moves so much faster than sound but that’s what i remember from 20 odd years ago ....

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...
4 minutes ago, bluearmy said:

If you’re lucky/unlucky enough to witness a strike close by in a quiet place then you actually hear the crackle in the air just before it happens which seems odd given that light moves so much faster than sound but that’s what i remember from 20 odd years ago ....

The local release of static-electricity would do that, especially if one's hair was involved...? :unsure2:

Posted
7 minutes ago, General Cluster said:

The local release of static-electricity would do that, especially if one's hair was involved...? :unsure2:

Yes indeed although that last bit wouldn’t  be an issue for me, even twenty odd years ago ! 

• Like 1