Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Storms and Convective discussion- 15th August onwards

Supacell

Posted

Can see the cell in the channel flashing from my location shame it’s not heading this way just terrible for this area for storms over the last year 

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, thunder, hail & heavy snow
7 hours ago, ancientsolar said:

Anyone know why the storm over Gloucester seems to have not moved much at all,. is it back building ? 

Thought the same too. That storm, along with the one to the West of Warwick earlier today were stationary. Was wondering whether the radar had gave some false returns and that those thunderstorms were faulty. That is until I read through all the reports on here to confirm they were real!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Continental. Dry air, storms and snow.

Oh. Not checked radar for a few hours, saw a few towers to the SW, thought it was still a NW direction, now it’s coming from the SW! Just heavy rain so far.....

Posted
4 minutes ago, jake44 said:

will the one in the channal get stronger you think ?

Seems to be fading on its western flank and stalling, can’t see it delivering for us unfortunately. Still cannot fathom how we’ve gone through one of the hottest sets of days on record, with humidity high enough to rival a rainforest and not a single storm here!

• Like 3

Posted

Still torrential here, not a whiff of anything electrical though. Just as a guide for any other hopefuls!

Posted

Finally had a storm here in South London between 8:30 and 9:15. Followed it up to London Bridge. Incredible rain, some fork lightning right above the Shard, ankle deep water.

Makes the wait worth it. Phone camera fogged up and kept missing the lightning but you can see how much surface water at London Bridge below.

IMG_8242.jpg

Edited by elpy
  • Like 9

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Wake me up when the storms arrive

Looks like some of you saw some storms!  I was hopeful this afternoon as the squalls arrived at Reigate from the south.

And I could barely believe my eyes as the squall line parted around Reigate and gave us 5 minutes of rain while to the east and west it carried on as normal.

I often joke about the Reigate Local High Pressure Zone. Today I witnessed its awesome power.

Are we up for anything tomorrow south of London?  I looked at Estofex, but it looks like it forecasts a similar picture to today.

Edited by StormLoser

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, T Storms.
1 hour ago, Flash bang flash bang etc said:

Saw that channel flash from Farncombe in Surrey

I'm hearing deep rumbles in Dover from time to time. It's not here yet. 

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Wake me up when the storms arrive

Looking at the rather grey Dymchurch webcam and see lightning in the channel! One good solid strike so far. https://theromneymarsh.net/beachcam 

Well, after a few flashes and one really big forked lightning, the storm appears to have expired. Too much effort for it.

Edited by StormLoser
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, thunder, hail & heavy snow
20 minutes ago, elpy said:

Phone camera fogged up and kept missing the lightning but you can see how much surface water at London Bridge below.

IMG_8242.jpg

To be fair, that shot has a really artistic look to it!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Spanish plumes & stormy winters. Facebook @ Lance's Lightning Shots

Seems like that channel storm likes the look of Calais, constantly looking to build itself eastward.

Edited by Lance M

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms

Bright flashing off to my SE - and a red star like object that looks suspiciously like Mars

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Spanish plumes & stormy winters. Facebook @ Lance's Lightning Shots
9 minutes ago, StormLoser said:

Looking at the rather grey Dymchurch webcam and see lightning in the channel! One good solid strike so far. https://theromneymarsh.net/beachcam 

I think I killed off all activity by tuning in. It went from lightning every 10 secs, to 30, to two mins, and then nothing!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Dull And Uninteresting Weather
28 minutes ago, StormLoser said:

Looks like some of you saw some storms!  I was hopeful this afternoon as the squalls arrived at Reigate from the south.

And I could barely believe my eyes as the squall line parted around Reigate and gave us 5 minutes of rain while to the east and west it carried on as normal.

I often joke about the Reigate Local High Pressure Zone. Today I witnessed its awesome power.

Are we up for anything tomorrow south of London?  I looked at Estofex, but it looks like it forecasts a similar picture to today.

wouldn't pay any attention to that forecast they slept through today and lump in Southern UK with northern Netherlands through Germany into northern Italy, Bosnia, Serbia, Poland and Ukraine , as Paul Sherman said the other day they make no effort to discern any possible differences between mainland Europe and the UK and have a 1 size fits all policy besides they had a level 2 the other day which came to absolutely nothing , take with a very substantial pinch of salt

Edited by Gordon Webb

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms & Snow

Flashing away on Dover cam.

7E66CBDA-667D-4F5F-A211-49B0F97B898F.thumb.jpeg.e6e757e82a4724c0afb725d7f239f670.jpeg
64DB6CB7-0CE7-4066-BED8-D82AEC89E55F.thumb.jpeg.e71f507603069429e06a5ca8c6b882aa.jpeg

• Like 3

Posted
22 minutes ago, Lance M said:

Seems like that channel storm likes the look of Calais, constantly looking to build itself eastward.

Worked near Calais as a campsite courier in 95. Can confirm the area is amazing for thunderstorms

Posted
7 minutes ago, Jamiee said:

Flashing away on Dover cam.

7E66CBDA-667D-4F5F-A211-49B0F97B898F.thumb.jpeg.e6e757e82a4724c0afb725d7f239f670.jpeg
64DB6CB7-0CE7-4066-BED8-D82AEC89E55F.thumb.jpeg.e71f507603069429e06a5ca8c6b882aa.jpeg

Was goner say, the rain of the storm isn't here, but the cloud has now rolled in, and the lightning is in it, thunder slightly louder. 

Posted

And it's died, I think. Not seen anything for five minutes or so anyway. 

Edited by alexisj9

Posted
4 minutes ago, alexisj9 said:

And it's died, I think. Not seen anything for five minutes or so anyway. 

That cell in the ocean was giving me so many flashes , why was that one flqsh so bright

Edited by Mitch the motorbike storm

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: MCC/MCS Thunderstorms
1 hour ago, elpy said:

Finally had a storm here in South London between 8:30 and 9:15. Followed it up to London Bridge. Incredible rain, some fork lightning right above the Shard, ankle deep water.

Makes the wait worth it. Phone camera fogged up and kept missing the lightning but you can see how much surface water at London Bridge below.

IMG_8242.jpg

Not sure what it is, but that road was terrible in 2018 (May Storms) and the drains can never take the water.