Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Storms and Convective discussion- 15th August onwards

Supacell

Posted
1 hour ago, Flash bang flash bang etc said:

Literally everything has downgraded for the week. Temps, thunderstorm chances, sun. It’s like someone pressed the ‘make it all go to s**t’ button

What 4 or 5 days of 30c+ temps on the bounce with some places getting a couple of days of storms? Is that not what they forecast, they didnt forecast the storm armageddon that many on here claim

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Plumes and streamers

I’d post the footage from my attempts to chase storms this week but it would probably be more dramatic just to watch a tired snail slowly read a long book

Hoping this evening will be a change of fortunes...

Edited by Flash bang flash bang etc

Posted
26 minutes ago, Cableguy said:

What 4 or 5 days of 30c+ temps on the bounce with some places getting a couple of days of storms? Is that not what they forecast, they didnt forecast the storm armageddon that many on here claim

No just looking at how 1 or 2 days out there is talk of thunderstorms for 12hrs+ and then it just turns to nothing on the day.

Wasnt expecting the whole shebang, but to go from that to just showery rain shows that the forecasts for this area probably weren’t worth making. If it’s not reliable it’s kind of pointless.

There was a storm Armageddon spoken about very broadly, and as a result a lot of people did expect a very thundery breakdown but what we have instead is just pathetic really. I couldn’t have ever predicted it would be as drab and uneventful as it has turned out.

• Like 1

Posted
1 hour ago, Supacell said:

Apologies for the length of these videos, it was hard to edit them down any further. These are both from the night of the 11/12th August. First one I chase a storm from Stoke into Cheshire and eventually capture it in the town of Holmes Chapel. In the second video I leave behind this storm to intercept storms moving north through the western Peak District and come across a strong storm near to Leek. I then find further residual storms across Derbyshire as I head back home.

First Video, 9:47, you have that written down as Tunstall, it's definitely not Tunstall  That's Porthill and it's in Newcastle Under Lyme, not Stoke on Trent  Prepare for more corrections of place names as I watch it  14:28 No idea if you've done a 180 in-between this part and the previous but taking a right at that turning meant you were heading to Alsager in Stoke on Trent there, not Audley (which is in Staffordshire by the way not Staffords, there no such county  )

Edited by Ryukai
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Lightning, lightning and erm thunder

Can’t believe how seriously muggy and warm it still is. It’s been 23 today, currently 21 but it’s still Sweaty and horrible. Can’t breathe properly.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extreme
28 minutes ago, Electricmumma said:

Can’t believe how seriously muggy and warm it still is. It’s been 23 today, currently 21 but it’s still Sweaty and horrible. Can’t breathe properly.

May be you have corona?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms & Snow

Whitstable cell got to cloud tops of -48°C (24,000ft) before it weakened and collapsed on itself.

Peak rain rate looks to have been on the A249 near Kemsley with rates well over 250mm/hr

image.thumb.png.9bc458fefca1cf6323cb320a6b5e67a1.pngxx_sat-en-330-0_2020_08_15_13_45_5137_126.thumb.png.76a124f5d39535f12020d24785d37460.png image.thumb.png.311ec4fb2a0fff63a817c62151e70947.png

Chelmsford cell currently has a cloud top of -55°C (27,500 ft) & rain rate of 60mm/hr 

xx_sat-en-330-0_2020_08_15_15_45_5129_126.thumb.png.0ad076730808e85fe6c6479fc6a90dfa.png image.thumb.png.a693f441c92b841824a55167f0b7e4ac.png

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms
43 minutes ago, Ryukai said:

First Video, 9:47, you have that written down as Tunstall, it's definitely not Tunstall  That's Porthill and it's in Newcastle Under Lyme, not Stoke on Trent  Prepare for more corrections of place names as I watch it  14:28 No idea if you've done a 180 in-between this part and the previous but taking a right at that turning meant you were heading to Alsager in Stoke on Trent there, not Audley (which is in Staffordshire by the way not Staffords, there no such county  )

I take the point on the Tunstall/Porthill. I must have been slightly lost . I never put though that it was in Stoke. I put Tunstall, Staffordshire.

Regarding the Audley one. I tend to put down the town or village closest to my position. Audley was 1 or 2 miles behind me where Alsager was about 3 miles in front. And so geographically I was closer to Audley than Alsager. I don't know where you saw Staffords, it looks like Staffordshire to me

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and breezy with a bit of cloud, about 20C

Very heavy rain up in Chelmsford currently, just seen a video of one of the main shopping centres flooding. And yet here, about 12 miles away, we’ve had barely any rain today, so it’s all very localised

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Supercells
2 hours ago, Paul Sherman said:

Waterspout in the Estuary obviously couldn't make it up you guys need me to go away more. My USA Jaunt which usually sees me away in May and June usually yields great Storms but not this year. 

Am sure somebody down there will have eyes on if something happens

Literally every year when I go to the U.S to chase it's the same, we get storms here!
Probably why nothings really kicked off in the SE this year! 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Wake me up when the storms arrive

As I come back from my siesta - a habit gained in the last week, senors/senoritas -  image.png.c735a4f79643abf3b9d1047946dace4d.png

I notice a moisture line forming a little north of the south coast.

Could this do something for my area?  Watching with interest.

Edited by StormLoser
  • Like 1

Posted

image.thumb.png.82cc06903bea01400b93fffe73ca6a1b.png

51.6% of Sittingbourne's monthly average rainfall fell in one hour (based off closest climate station at Faversham) in just one hour with the environmental gauge recording 41.2 mm overall which is 80.4% of August's monthly rainfall average. 

Storm truly packed a punch.

Edited by Jamiee
  • Like 2

Posted
41 minutes ago, Mark Parsons said:

May be you have corona?

no beer in this house, cider please

• Like 1

Posted
27 minutes ago, Supacell said:

I take the point on the Tunstall/Porthill. I must have been slightly lost . I never put though that it was in Stoke. I put Tunstall, Staffordshire.

Regarding the Audley one. I tend to put down the town or village closest to my position. Audley was 1 or 2 miles behind me where Alsager was about 3 miles in front. And so geographically I was closer to Audley than Alsager. I don't know where you saw Staffords, it looks like Staffordshire to me

Folk always get the whole Stoke on Trent/Staffordshire thing mixed up.  Officially this area is called 'The City of Stoke-on-Trent'  and despite being surrounded by Staffordshire we are actually independent of them and even have our own MEP's.  

And to keep ontopic  We got up to a nice 22C earlier but it's on it's way slowly down now (so I currently feel like I'm freezing, even though I'm not... stupid partial heatwave acclimatisation...  )   Also I see drizzle heading my way 

Edited by Ryukai

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Dull And Uninteresting Weather
23 minutes ago, Thunderstruck said:

Very heavy rain up in Chelmsford currently, just seen a video of one of the main shopping centres flooding. And yet here, about 12 miles away, we’ve had barely any rain today, so it’s all very localised

well they aren't going very far very fast

Posted
5 minutes ago, StormLoser said:

As I come back from my siesta - a habit gained in the last week, senors/senoritas - (he says, with a flourish on his Spanish guitar), I notice a moisture line forming a little north of the south coast.

Could this do something for my area?  Watching with interest.

Sorry that was me melting into the atmosphere.. 

I’m watching too, but to be honest all I’m seeing every time I look at the radar is this guess it would help if i understood things a lot better. 

time to find an online course in ‘weather’

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snowy or sunny but not too hot!
30 minutes ago, Thunderstruck said:

I can testify to that. As my 91 year old uncle is unwell I popped over to Writtle to see him. I left about 4 O'clock and had difficulty leaving his house down the footpath to my car. I then drove the 4 miles to my house in North Springfield which took over 30 minutes. All the local roads and main roads were flooded and meant crawling through the deep water. It was particularly bad at the start of the Chelmer Valley route at the junction with Rectory Road and is not helped by the roadworks currently in place.

The intensity of the rain resulted in the worst flash flooding for a number of years.

It has now stopped.

At least I won't have to water my allotment this evening.

It still feels oppressingly humid.

Edited by claret047

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms
12 minutes ago, Ryukai said:

Folk always get the whole Stoke on Trent/Staffordshire thing mixed up.  Officially this area is called 'The City of Stoke-on-Trent'  and despite being surrounded by Staffordshire we are actually independent of them and even have our own MEP's.  

And to keep ontopic  We got up to a nice 22C earlier but it's on it's way slowly down now (so I currently feel like I'm freezing, even though I'm not... stupid partial heatwave acclimatisation...  )   Also I see drizzle heading my way 

Do you know, i have lived in Derbyshire for many years, Staffordshire is the neighbouring county to the west and I never knew that. I've learnt something new there

• Like 1

Posted
12 minutes ago, Electricmumma said:

Sorry that was me melting into the atmosphere.. 

I’m watching too, but to be honest all I’m seeing every time I look at the radar is this guess it would help if i understood things a lot better. 

time to find an online course in ‘weather’

Throws an Open University Course at you

http://www.open.ac.uk/courses/short-courses/sg089

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow

Fantastic to wave goodbye to this weeks heat, a lot of fun earlier in the week when everything was set up nicely for storms. Areas away from the south deserved the thunder this week, the shoe is ALWAYS on the other foot.

Feels distinctly autumnal today out there and it’s an absolute breathe of fresh air. Especially with it being completely dark prior to 9pm the last couple of nights.

Chance to eek a few more storms out, more especially tomorrow I would say. 

It’s been quite a thundery summer overall, which is relief as it’s the only positive of temperatures above 25c. Relatively happy with that.

Tick tock time on summer is catching up now though...dark nights, Atlantic named storms and Autumn are in the headlights! 

Very exciting.

• Like 1

Posted

image.thumb.png.2d85003591cd6c00ae4086ae5e312688.png

Met Office Station at Writtle has picked up 39.8 mm in just an hour with a total of 53 mm currently today.

• Like 2

Posted

Thunderstorms have just been removed from the forecast for our area today. I’m gonna say that’s it for us until May for any potent storms. We didn’t do well at all this year - 2 brief thundery showers.

• Like 1