Jump to content

Recommended Posts

As Many pupils  studying for A levels  get there results today   and the obvious backlash that the government are getting in regard to the grading system  is there really a large divide between more affluent area  then deprived?    Various statistics/reports  will tell you there is.  But is this just down to  education standards  or is it something else?.   Parents?.  Lifestyle?.  etc    The reason being  that i can understand a difference between the public and private  sector    but the difference in the state sector is huge  between areas     any ideas?

Link to post
Share on other sites

Well I know of one teacher who had severe problems with pupils coming into her class at below standard. There previous teacher was marking them up so that they wouldn't get into trouble for making the school look bad.

I don't know whether schools are marking there own students if so there will be pressure to mark the results up to make the school look good. The results should be decided by different schools. However in the time period this would be unpracticable. I would suggest a better way would the taking the results of the course work over the year.  This would help copiers unfortunately but also help people who nose dive in exams like myself.

When I started my degree as a mature student I struggled with maths as I hadn't done any since my school days. However the shocking thing I found was that students who just left school with a level maths couldn't do the maths either.

Later when I started as an IT technician I overheard two tutors at discussing results and that an Student with A would have been lucky to a get C in their day as they struggled with the basics

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, weirpig said:

As Many pupils  studying for A levels  get there results today   and the obvious backlash that the government are getting in regard to the grading system  is there really a large divide between more affluent area  then deprived?    Various statistics/reports  will tell you there is.  But is this just down to  education standards  or is it something else?.   Parents?.  Lifestyle?.  etc    The reason being  that i can understand a difference between the public and private  sector    but the difference in the state sector is huge  between areas     any ideas?

Hasn't this always been the case? when i was at comp in the 80s it was well known some schools were better than others..point in fact when my children were pre-schoolers we moved to a village on the other side of Exeter because the local schools on our side of the city were pants in comparison..i do know that our local school did cheat on their SAT scores back then when they reached year 6? prior to going to high school..my son was a level 4? on the SAT test theoretically but when he got to high school they assessed him as a level 3

Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, cheeky_monkey said:

Hasn't this always been the case? when i was at comp in the 80s it was well known some schools were better than others..point in fact when my children were pre-schoolers we moved to a village on the other side of Exeter because the local schools on our side of the city were pants in comparison..i do know that our local school did cheat on their SAT scores back then when they reached year 6? prior to going to high school..my son was a level 4? on the SAT test theoretically but when he got to high school they assessed him as a level 3

Yes it has always been the case.     My point being though  how and why is there such a difference with schooling  even in the state sector     from  affluent  to poorer areas.    A lot is made of the difference  between Private and state      but very little people highlight the differences in the state  sector.     The difference between here  in my area  and the average  is huge  at not in a good way    why is this ?

Link to post
Share on other sites

One of the problems with the way grades were calculated is a pupil's mark was reduced if the school they attended had poor results the previous year. I know from the time my three sons went through comprehensive school, ability of children, willingness to learn quality of teachers varied greatly year on year. My middle son's year was particularly bad with several ending up in prison in later life. It was all capped off when the police had a drugs swoop on the school during an open day for potential pupils parents' . Several children were found to be in possession, The final straw was when 2 teachers on a night out were prosecuted for being drunk & disorderly, assaulting a police officer and urinating in a public place. They had to serve a custodial sentence. Whilst my oldest son & youngest attended the situation was no where near as bad.

The point I am attempting to get across is there might be particularly bright pupil(s) this year at what was last year a poor performing school and they have been marked down from what they achieved in their mocks because of this, not on their ability. Totally unfair.

One school in Southend in a poor area of the town had all their pupils grades marked down. 

It seems to have occurred more frequently in the state sector than in the Independent schools thus increasing the social divide further.

A reduction from an A to a B for example can scupper the chance of someone wishing to pursue a particular specialism such as medicine.

One thing that I was unaware of which a former head of a 6th form College stated on radio yesterday evening was that potential employers when looking at the CV's of job applicants look at the A level grades and only pick those for interview with the very best of grades. Although with a depressed grade this year the student does very well at Uni an incorrect grade can have a long lasting impact. That hardly seems fair either.

Kind Regards

Dave

 

 

Edited by claret047
Link to post
Share on other sites

Employers won't take any notice of school results if the student obtains a good degree at University. Employers know that there has been so much Government interface over the years that one set of results cannot be really compared from one year to another and that standards are questionable.

Anyway back to this years farce well I not surprised what's going on considering we have the most incompetent PM ever leading the most incompetent Government ever.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 14/08/2020 at 09:20, weirpig said:

Yes it has always been the case.     My point being though  how and why is there such a difference with schooling  even in the state sector     from  affluent  to poorer areas.    A lot is made of the difference  between Private and state      but very little people highlight the differences in the state  sector.     The difference between here  in my area  and the average  is huge  at not in a good way    why is this ?

One of the reason is still wealth. Parents will try anything including moving home to be in the catchment area of a successful comprehensive school. A good school attracts good teachers and so we have house prices in these areas at a premium. Only those who can afford to move into these areas will be fortunate to have their children attend. Some parents are even desperate enough to tell porkies as to their address in order to have their children attend. Meanwhile schools in deprived areas don't have rich parents to buy extra's for the schools and they fail to attract the best teachers.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Well the Government back tracked amid the normal confusion with anything that involves the present incumbents. After all the fuss though it seems that it hasn't made much difference to the grades.

Good news those for those who are struggling the government has lifted the cap on the number of students.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...