Storms and Convective discussion- 7th August onwards

Frequent flashes now.,getting closer.No thunder yet.  To my South. Now v faint thunder..

Edited by alijoy60
  • Like 2
  • Replies 6.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

A beautiful altocumulus castellanus sunrise this morning. 

Oo she's a beauty 

My first attempt at storm shots 🤷‍♂️ (Please don't judge 🤣) The cells are impressive tonight! 

Posted Images

39 minutes ago, Lance M said:

Lightning activity waning on the storm over the channel, looks like it's had it.

New developments around Kent could be interesting for those of you down there.

Beats me how storms can't limp over the channel, but give them the N Sea and they go completely bonkers....

• Like 4

Right off to bed. Have fun you folk who get the storms.

ps is anyone following the derecho that’s just gone through Chicago? Puts our stuff to shame 

• Like 1
2 minutes ago, davehsug said:

Think they must be false, but there are an awful lot of random strikes showing at the moment

Something of them probably as a result of anvil crawlers.

• Like 2

There's an insane frequency of sheet lightning to my SSW/SW now, several flashes a second.  I can't work out whether it's just reflections in the cloud cover from the Wales stuff which is now 50+ miles to my NW (the wrong direction) or whether there's other stuff kicking off further south now.  Nothing on radar or lightning maps but it must be highly elevated.  Anyone further S/W who can confirm?

• Like 1

Sitting in the garden now, constantly lit up with strobe lightning. It’s so humid it’s like sitting in a pressure cooker. Not a breath of wind nor a sound of thunder. Eerie. 

• Like 3

The West has sure kicked into life, was even thinking of walking to the shore but I think now I'll give that a miss lol

image.png

Edited by TJS1998Tom
6 minutes ago, Electricmumma said:

Right I’m giving in staring at a blank sky over the sea and going home to bed, Roll on more pointless melting tomorrow 🥵🤪

Chin up, I’m sure we’ll get our fix soon 🙂 

• Like 1

The line of scratty precipitation stretching from Chester to Birmingham seems to be beefing itself up a bit *fingers, toes, arms and legs are all crossed 😛 )  Also beginning to get the odd pulse of a breeze through the blinds.

Edited by Ryukai
5 minutes ago, SarahWxm said:

Sitting in the garden now, constantly lit up with strobe lightning. It’s so humid it’s like sitting in a pressure cooker. Not a breath of wind nor a sound of thunder. Eerie. 

Seen a couple of bolts overhead just and had a rumble of thunder. 

• Like 1
Just now, Ryukai said:

The line of scratty precipitation stretching from Chester to Birmingham seems to be beefing itself up a bit *fingers, toes, arms and legs are all crossed 😛 )

Certainly is. My peaceful sitting in the garden was interrupted with a humongous flash of lightning and a massive rumble of thunder. New pants needed 😂😂😂

• Like 2

Omg massive storm with constant thunder approaching thought I was getting false notifications as it appeared out of nowhere but no it’s real.

• Like 2
1 minute ago, Summerstorm said:

Seen a couple of bolts overhead just and had a rumble of thunder. 

This must be what I just had. Jumped out of my skin lol