Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Storms and Convective discussion- 7th August onwards

Supacell

Posted
17 minutes ago, General Cluster said:

I know how you feel, Gordon... even though, these days I tend to open all the windows and enjoy a good thunderstorm, I still wake-up in a cold sweat, whenever thunder, lightning or torrential rain disturbs my sleep... I guess there's a bit of the brontophobe in all of us?

I long to stand at my door, smelling the rain, and enjoying the sights and sounds. I love it. It's my happy place. But at the same time, it was only 2015/16 when we had what can only be described as an explosion over head, that set fire to a house 2 roads away. It had me scrambling to unplug every electrical appliance in the house.

It's a fine line between fear and enjoyment!

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, high teens to low 20's,sunny and convective
2 minutes ago, DIS1970 said:

Even this far inland the sun just can't burn this rubbish off.

Its trying here but seems to be struggling at mo

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Lighting and sunshine
30 minutes ago, Flash bang flash bang etc said:

See we are already looking at today being a downgrade on earlier days, and we’re losing the top end of the heat - relying once again on the next few days to provide that all-elusive convective ‘event’.

Reading Dan’s writeup I’m not massively confident about the chances for southern counties. The all-night storms we were seeing forecasted keep disappearing, and now we are seeing increased cloud each day whereas we had fine conditions for the best part of a week.

This is precisely why it bothers me when the first opportunity busts in a situation where it’s several days of predicted severe weather. You then clutch straws for a second and invariably that fails and after that you’re desperate for anything.

I have a bad feeling that come Monday we will just have had visiting thundery showers and the odd sporadic storm, then for the south we will be looking at settled conditions for the next 6 months.

REALLY REALLY hope I’m wrong

I know.  After two attempts to chase that both got aborted around west London I feel that opportunities are starting to slip away.  I'm up for some motorway miles but Wales and Birmingham will test my family's patience!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Continental. Dry air, storms and snow.

As usual just steady rain with no thunder. Died a death as it hit the M1. Dull. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Convective, Snow
1 minute ago, Chris Lea-Alex said:

I know.  After two attempts to chase that both got aborted around west London I feel that opportunities are starting to slip away.  I'm up for some motorway miles but Wales and Birmingham will test my family's patience!

Come join us up here in Brum 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine. And storms
11 minutes ago, sparky1972 said:

And boom, there it is, gone, heat been replaced overnight with low cloud, northerly wind and a much cooler feel, not a storm or drop of rain.

Not much of a boom though, was there?

Pathetic. 

Posted
2 minutes ago, Ndc Ozzie said:

Its trying here but seems to be struggling at mo

The sun is out in South East Essex. We'll keep producing for the rest of you. 

• Like 2

Posted
Just now, Karl83 said:

Morning all - I posted some of these yesterday but captured more soon after. Taken from Birdlip and Minchinhampton Common. Such awesome cloudscapes.

20200812_180347.jpg

20200812_181726.jpg

20200812_181851.jpg

20200812_185108.jpg

20200812_185159.jpg

20200812_185230.jpg

20200812_191535.jpg

20200812_191542.jpg

20200812_191749.jpg

20200812_192018.jpg

20200812_192044.jpg

20200812_192054.jpg

20200812_192109.jpg

20200812_192938.jpg

Some stunning pictures right there! 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Still some mega juicy air running along the south coast this morning dp's up at 19-21C, could rise even further and its going to feel mega humid. Could see reading of 27/23C before long. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, high teens to low 20's,sunny and convective
2 minutes ago, Spikey M said:

The sun is out in South East Essex. We'll keep producing for the rest of you. 

I be happy just to have one storm come overhead,had nothing here,just keep skirting by as if I got some sort of barrier round me lol.

Posted
Just now, Ndc Ozzie said:

I be happy just to have one storm come overhead,had nothing here,just keep skirting by as if I got some sort of barrier round me lol.

They're all forming about 30 miles away from here. We've had a brief shower this morning. Nothing else at all.

Posted

Quite a lot of convection rolling up from France at the moment, could stint the risks for the SE if there is enough cloud cover associated with then. Looking pretty weak as well. One upshot maybe any outflow boundaries from the decaying cells may trigger something else.

Meanwhile a great looking line to the north of London!

Edited by kold weather

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms
1 minute ago, Alderc said:

Still some mega juicy air running along the south coast this morning dp's up at 19-21C, could rise even further and its going to feel mega humid. Could see reading of 27/23C before long. 

There’s a stream of much fresher air here at the moment, was very surprised when I stepped outside a short while ago.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, plumes, snow, severe weather

Large raindrops falling now. My lightning detector is going off every 20 seconds.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: storms lightning thunder
4 minutes ago, Alderc said:

same for southampton muggy suns out some nice breeze high dp's 18_20c

Posted
3 minutes ago, Spikey M said:

They're all forming about 30 miles away from here. We've had a brief shower this morning. Nothing else at all.

Looking at radar,think I will miss them again as they go west and go nw as they pass my area.

Posted

My lightning detector is going off every 10 seconds now 

Edited by Zak M
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms

Is that a trough visible on radar moving into Kent/Sussex currently which could become a focus for thunderstorm development? 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - snow, Irish sea convection. Summer - thunderstorms, hot sunny days

Boring now here until Sunday. Today is going to be the hottest day of the week though here.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Thunderstorms

Last night was amazing. The lightning was constant over Ilfracombe and Minehead. I could see it from where I live. Not a hint of thunder just constant flashes. Only the 2nd time I've ever seen this.

Once again, my chance for storms today has been decreased from 77% to 29%, so I'm really not expecting anything spectacular, but I remain hopeful.

• Like 3

Posted

Lovely deep rumble just then!

• Like 3