Storms and Convective discussion- 7th August onwards

1 minute ago, TJS1998Tom said:

Lightning being picked up in Manchester now

image.thumb.png.f9b552d522ccba1976b6a860aa2be9ff.png

Precipitation seems to look heavier 

image.thumb.png.f423ba265345927d90fe0d2ccc54440f.png

Is this around Oldham?

18 minutes ago, Robbie Garrett said:

Fellow Pilot of mine had this going off wild today on the aircraft we fly.  Looks fun. At least I know it works for when I fly...

image.thumb.png.ca45393225bc7db3e69fb2a51462f7b7.png

It’s fun checking this, the rain radar and plane finder at the same time. Seeing planes attempting landings and seeing their unusual flight paths avoiding the storms 😉

Sat in Fishguard, Pembrokeshire on a camping holiday and watching silent strobe lightning a long way away to my S/SW. Must be that storm west of Cornwall. 1/2 flashes per second. Must be huge. 

We were watching 2 others earlier aswell, one NE at Aberaeron and one WE towards Swansea. No thunder heard. 

A few shooting stars too. 

A good night around the campfire!

• Like 5

Posted (edited)

Technical question if anyone in the know has any idea...

Why does the Netweather ATD perform so differently scenario to scenario? 

First images are last nights storms over the NW Midlands, these were very active but as you can see, barely anything has been detected by the ATD. 

image.thumb.png.41c6ffbd1dfe616e566f7bf1af95e115.png  image.thumb.png.409f80b1cfed11e1ad5a7677fe2f464c.png

Second image is todays storms further SW, similar activity according to reports, but way more strikes detected by the ATD.

image.thumb.png.b6a1747672a6e864da3ea5a0ee4e1797.png     image.png

Edited by ChezWeather
  • Like 2

Torrential fog here in Northumberland as the DP is basically the the same as air temp. 😂

• Like 3

A bit of lightning heading into Manchester from Disley/Poynton direction at the moment, I can see it flashing away at a rate of one or two sferics per minute. Nothing like last night's event but it's still something.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Buzzard said:

It’s fun checking this, the rain radar and plane finder at the same time. Seeing planes attempting landings and seeing their unusual flight paths avoiding the storms 😉

Looks like an early '80s arcade game 😄

• Like 2

Posted (edited)
38 minutes ago, Blake Allen said:

Died down in Hastings now, maybe more in a few hours. Will nap and set alarm!

What's died down in Hastings ?  I'm 2 miles inland and apart from some ocassional lightning flashes this has been a non event as far as I can see.

Edited by SenlacJack

guys south east looks like its in for a noisy night finally

• Like 1

Still flashing away occasionally in the distance here. Can see them coming from all directions, generally one every few mins or so.

• Like 4

1 minute ago, kumquat said:

Looks like an early '80s arcade game 😄

Battleships 🤔

1 minute ago, Mitch perrott said:

When? Earliest I see is 7am

tonight that storm is huge and powerfull

Posted (edited)
2 minutes ago, jake44 said:

tonight that storm is huge and powerfull

It’s gone. It’s turned into a wet mess. Don’t think the new one in France is coming over either and if it did it would die in the channel again. Would rather now all this cloud goes right away so all the convection can be unhindered tomorrow.

Edited by oliverek7
  • Like 2

Posted (edited)

Can see a fair bit of elevated lightning here

This will explain the warning for Isle of Man... bet its going to be too far out at sea 

Edited by TJS1998Tom
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, Buzzard said:

Bet the Fedex pilots are getting a great view flying directly over it 😛 Wonder if they'll see any sprites.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, SenlacJack said:

What's died down in Hastings ?  I'm 2 miles inland and apart from some ocassional lightning flashes this has been a non event as far as I can see.

Lightning storm at sea. We had over 30 flashes a min visible from the channel.

• Like 1

Just now, Electricmumma said:

Lightning storm at sea. We had over 30 flashes a min visible from the channel.

Another cell has formed pushing intonthe channel too further east

Evening all! 

Went for a mini storm chase earlier after those cells exploded across the South Downs, Surrey Hills and London area....

Left the house in south Bucks about 4:30 with Ivinghoe destination. It's a great lookout point in all directions about 230m up. Unfortunately by the time I got there, just after 5 the storms had moved a little too far to the NW of there, but it was a toss up between drive a huge distance on the M40 or M4 or do a 40 mile round trip to a known good hill spot. I opted with the latter as I recently bought my first place and I'm eternally skint at present. 

I didn't miss everything though! Just after half 4 Wendover way in the Chilterns I drove through the most intense rain and largest drops ever, pea-marble sized hail (thank God my windscreen is Ok, perhaps a few tiny chips) and some VERY close strikes, to which the thunder was deafening, so it wasn't a bad early evening. 

Looking at the radar, Hatfield really took a pummelling earlier from that cell. 

Fingers crossed for more for the SE tomorrow! 

• Like 4

Quite interesting the way that Western UK storm continues to back build a bit on its Eastern flank. Particularly that line of stuff over Derby and some of that stuff over the Northern Cotsworlds.

• Like 3