Storms and Convective discussion- 7th August onwards

• Replies 6.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Oo she's a beauty 

A beautiful altocumulus castellanus sunrise this morning. 

My first attempt at storm shots 🤷‍♂️ (Please don't judge 🤣) The cells are impressive tonight! 

Posted Images

No wonder it's so severe in Wales and the SW Midlands. This is a snapshot of surface winds over the UK

Untitled.thumb.jpg.99796cae7276bf3d71abb6ecbaf05397.jpg

Look at all those various wind directions. Northerlies over Wales, Southerlies over SW England and easterlies over the rest of England. Also there appears to be an independent rotational feature showing up too, maybe due to supercell action.

• Like 1
2 minutes ago, Azazel said:

Even the tiniest hint of mammatus here on the back edge.

7F526A10-B813-4A6B-8785-3064CFEDB408.jpeg

Been watching your storm as it developed a few miles away from me and heard a good few rumbles as it moved off. Looked like a decent one.

Looks like the Solihull storm has largely passed. No shotgun thunder from that but some impressive lightning and continued rumbles.

• Like 1
3 minutes ago, SenlacJack said:

Great photos, is that right now ?

It’s moving in rapidly, just got hit by the wind, so of course the seagull are going mad. Poor guy behind me struggled to tie his sail

A114286E-3ABF-4607-8AE9-2200E5EE9C53.jpeg

18FF9D08-0473-48F7-989B-9D4E0E06F84F.jpeg

• Like 6
4 minutes ago, SqueakheartLW said:

No wonder it's so severe in Wales and the SW Midlands. This is a snapshot of surface winds over the UK

Untitled.thumb.jpg.99796cae7276bf3d71abb6ecbaf05397.jpg

Look at all those various wind directions. Northerlies over Wales, Southerlies over SW England and easterlies over the rest of England. Also there appears to be an independent rotational feature showing up too, maybe due to supercell action.

that centre of rotation is about 10 miles to my East 😮

• Like 1

Looking east from winscombe west mendip ,it seems stationary .Not sure where that load of action in the English channel is heading , any guesses gang ,my way perhaps ,cheers .

15972599787507268519856824107284.jpg

• Like 3
25 minutes ago, Harry said:

Brum can shove it!!! #jokes 😂 well jel as they say across the river!

So worth the wait, been so long since i saw storms like this 😆

1 minute ago, T4Toby said:

Problem with the storm in the channel is that most of the lightening is staying to the french coastline 

Doesn't lightning get attracted to high objects most of the time and since the channel is basically all the same height and as far away as you can get from the base of the storm. It may be a good thing for you if the energy builds then unleashes again on our side of the channel.