Storms and Convective discussion- 7th August onwards

• Replies 6.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

A beautiful altocumulus castellanus sunrise this morning. 

Oo she's a beauty 

My first attempt at storm shots 🤷‍♂️ (Please don't judge 🤣) The cells are impressive tonight! 

Posted Images

Glimpsed a flash of lightning, followed by a good rumble of thunder just as I got home about 15 minutes ago from that storm to the SW, but I'm too exhausted after working in 30+ heat all day and the two mile walk home to go back outside!

Can't hear anything over the aircon!

Pic of the Oxford Cell just 10 mins ago before the sun went down, there were 2 more cells that were building at a rapid rate to the West of it but once the sun went down I couldnt see them anymore.

IMG_4341.jpg

• Like 4
2 minutes ago, Flash bang flash bang etc said:

Where is Oxon?

Oxfordshire :oldgood:Shortened version of the county a bit like Hants for Hampshire

Edited by Summerstorm
  • Thanks 2
2 minutes ago, Ryukai said:

Can see the small cells coming in on the S Coast between Lyme Regis and Weymouth on this cam, lots of Virga visible.

uk-weymouth02.jpg
WWW.WEBCAMTAXI.COM

See Weymouth Beach live high-definition webcam in Weymouth Bay (Dorset).

Nice sunset

Untitled.thumb.png.48d5ef67e8e63938a529b25d6db42ae5.png

showers look to be coming in from the left of the cam.

• Like 3
1 minute ago, Flash bang flash bang etc said:

Where is Oxon?

Oxon is the shortened form of Oxford/Oxfordshire - comes from the old term for the University of Oxford being (Academia) Oxoniensis.

Similarly, Southampton is Soton. 😊

• Like 2
3 minutes ago, Azazel said:

Played around with Bristolstormchaser’s photo from twitter on my phone. That thing is an absolute specimen. 

C8805169-E6C4-40D5-B42A-E4E93C539B9F.jpeg

Is that the Oxford cell mate?

• Like 3
2 minutes ago, Flash bang flash bang etc said:

Maps wouldn’t show me where

Bit highlighted in red just a quick grab from Google Maps. A bit like Hants for Hampshire or Notts for Nottinghamshire to add a couple more examples.

Anyway moving back to the topic still awaiting to see where this Wales cell heads seems to be moving at the speed of a snail. 

Annotation 2020-08-11 210819.png

Edited by Summerstorm

Very Muggy hear in Stoke-On-Trent, i'm watching the Birmingham storm on radar and lightning maps,  hoping it'll continue heading north, there is a bit of a cool breeze here but the atmosphere still feels very heavy with a bit of cloud around probably from the Wales storm the cloud tops reaching 10km still on that according to satellite . I witnessed some towers going up earlier but they hit the strong cap and just flattened out, they did rebuild slightly higher but then flattened again and fizzled out, there was much disappointment to be had. I Hope the Brum storm is long lasting.

5 minutes ago, Azazel said:

Played around with Bristolstormchaser’s photo from twitter on my phone. That thing is an absolute specimen. 

C8805169-E6C4-40D5-B42A-E4E93C539B9F.jpeg

One word...

WOW.

• Like 2
1 minute ago, Allseasons-si said:

Nice sunset

Untitled.thumb.png.48d5ef67e8e63938a529b25d6db42ae5.png

showers look to be coming in from the left of the cam.

It's pointing to the NW.  Over the triangle tip of the land towards Lyme Regis direction.