Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Storms and Convective discussion- 7th August onwards

Supacell

Posted

Looks like low pressure is going to dominate early next week, moving up from the south. Whether it'll be of any interest is another question, although in the latest Met Office video they loosely used the term heavy and possibly thundery downpours. 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Continental winters & summers.
7 minutes ago, Alderc said:

Absolute clag-fest today. Complete bust, same down in the south tomorrow I suspect. 

If we can't have storms, let's at least have some sunshine! Then... we may even get some storms lol.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and storms
7 minutes ago, Alderc said:

Absolute clag-fest today. Complete bust, same down in the south tomorrow I suspect. 

To be fair today was always going to be quiet, tomorrow is a different matter 

Posted

Well the storm shield in my part of N London finally buckled last night at around 2300 - the rain was monsoon like for about 15 mins with repeated fork & sheet lightning

visible for over an hour. The rain then lessened in intensity before fading out completely by 0030hrs.

It was well worth the wait - hope for some more over the coming days.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Thunderstorms, Heat, Ice, Freezing Fog. Etc

Quick question for the knowledgable...the showers I’ve had in Stroud, Glos, have come all the way from Norfolk and bit south of there today, and whilst no thunder have been sharp and heavy. The CAPE values over there are pretty high now, and others have mentioned the sun making an appearance in that part of the world. If it kicks off some actual storms through the evening I’d it possible they’d ‘survive’ the journey to me? Or just lose the storm element and be just heavy rain again, as it’s overcast here. Thanks! 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms
19 minutes ago, Frostbite1980 said:

Tomorrow not looking particularly great 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything extreme!

Woah! 

Think we are about to get some proper rain...

For the first time since April!! 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extreme Weather, Tornado's, Heavy snowfall, Thunderstorms

Some mid-level cloud starting to roll in here now, temp reached 23.6C, may well be it for the sun soon today.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: frosty mornings,freezing fog(makes the trees look nice!),snow,summer storms

Impressive storm here 24 hours ago, watched it build from Ivinghoe Beacon, on the way back to Boxmoor the heavens opened leading to flooding, lots of lightning which went on and off into the early hours.

• Like 2

Posted
4 minutes ago, DIS1970 said:

Some mid-level cloud starting to roll in here now, temp reached 23.6C, may well be it for the sun soon today.

Its just a small patch if you check out the sat pics, it'll pass over soon

http://meteocentre.com/satellite/imagery.php?map=_vis&anim=0&refresh=0&area=uk&lang=fr

• Thanks 1

Posted

Plymouth area might get something soon as clouds on sat24 seem to be growing 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in summer, thunderstorms, snow, fog, frost, squall lines

Nice late afternoon storms here in Prague today, after a hot and sunny day. Saw 2 CG strikes hit the hill 500m from me, with some very loud shotgun thunder and deep booms. 15 minutes of torrential rain and some wild wind gusts. Very nice ?? 

12B4993D-F3EE-4DD0-BE8B-08F81AAC6A2E.jpeg

9E5E5DBC-5A41-4B2C-AFBA-3A248108D066.jpeg

8594210C-F2CC-4029-925A-C6D8D5595A8C.jpeg

3B40C52C-5673-4321-9F2C-CF88A2D446C5.jpeg

Edited by stainesbloke
  • Like 7

Posted

For anyone that's interested, you can see the big storm that's developing by Plymouth here (it's pointing directly at it  for a change  )

https://www.mba.ac.uk/about/webcam

EDIT, think I just saw a flash on it, difficult to tell due to the low FPS, but it had that distinctive line tear going horizontally across the screen for a split sec due to the electrical interference.

Edited by Ryukai

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Plumes and streamers

Still can’t believe that cloud is now the issue with developing storms in the south.

Can someone please explain to me what additional factor would come into play and inhibit storms if by some miracle we didn’t have any cloud today? I just fail to believe that we’re it not for the cloud we would be enjoying prolific lightning, we’ve had the heat, the insolation, the short waves, the CZs, UHIs and that small heat low the other day, and the only storms (with the exception of the ones that ended up in the fog last night, were strange in that that were too high to be of any use to anyone. I certaintly wouldn’t consider them heavy, dangerous thunderstorms, to the contrary rather forgettable with only about 6 visible lightning strikes throughout.

What is it with this heatwave that has completely decimated decent storm chances in the south? By now by rights we should have had at least one classic plume breakdown across a wide area of the SE but nothing. Nothing at all.

Everything from today onwards also being downplayed too... I’ve literally lost hope of seeing anything before this summer is over. Can’t go abroad to see anything. Kinda f****d storm wise in every way since the year started.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Most(see in interests section.)
59 minutes ago, Frostbite1980 said:

Hi Frostbite ,  Why will Saturday be a different matter ?  Doesn't seem any heat or energy left really ? 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Lighting and sunshine
14 minutes ago, Flash bang flash bang etc said:

Still can’t believe that cloud is now the issue with developing storms in the south.

Can someone please explain to me what additional factor would come into play and inhibit storms if by some miracle we didn’t have any cloud today? I just fail to believe that we’re it not for the cloud we would be enjoying prolific lightning, we’ve had the heat, the insolation, the short waves, the CZs, UHIs and that small heat low the other day, and the only storms (with the exception of the ones that ended up in the fog last night, were strange in that that were too high to be of any use to anyone. I certaintly wouldn’t consider them heavy, dangerous thunderstorms, to the contrary rather forgettable with only about 6 visible lightning strikes throughout.

What is it with this heatwave that has completely decimated decent storm chances in the south? By now by rights we should have had at least one classic plume breakdown across a wide area of the SE but nothing. Nothing at all.

Everything from today onwards also being downplayed too... I’ve literally lost hope of seeing anything before this summer is over. Can’t go abroad to see anything. Kinda f****d storm wise in every way since the year started.

I have the whole day free today as well.  I just need a sign!  But not even the cloud has gone.   

I keep looking at east Anglia but I think I'm just seeing what I want to see

Edited by Chris Lea-Alex
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Love heat & thunderstorms, but hate the cold
2 hours ago, Ryukai said:

That cell near Sudbury is really growing tall!

Sudcell.png.162b63de1d9a600fb9e6ba4e565fde27.png

tenor5.gif

• Like 5

Posted
21 minutes ago, Chris Lea-Alex said:

I have the whole day free today as well.  I just need a sign!  But not even the cloud has gone

Could always take a 4 hour journey up to Stoke , plenty of Sun up here almost completely clear blue skies with the few little AcCas and contrail pieces floating around.  Warmer than yesterday too a nice 26C (feels like a sticky 28C) and still rising despite it being 5pm  

Edited by Ryukai
  • Like 1

Posted
6 minutes ago, Atmogenic said:

tenor5.gif

That's as big as it gets unfortunately  , it's from here

http://meteocentre.com/satellite/imagery.php?map=_vis&anim=0&refresh=0&area=uk&lang=fr

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Plumes and streamers

Im just north of Bishops Stortford, and I saw blue sky!!!!! Then I realised my battery had gone flat, nearly fell sideways into a ditch and had to get a bump start ??‍♂️

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Lightning, lightning and erm thunder

Still melting down here in East Sussex. Managed a 23 briefly but now a 22 but boy is it humid and sticky. breathe and you sweat.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything extreme!
1 hour ago, Mark said:

Woah! 

Think we are about to get some proper rain...

For the first time since April!! 

Ok, 'proper' was a strong word

... hose pipe ban

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms

Very peculiar day today, air temperature must be flirting with the dew point somewhat as at certain times it feels cool then suddenly I burst into a sweat - and no I’m not old enough to be having flushes of any kind

• Like 3