Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Storms and Convective discussion- 7th August onwards

Supacell

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, high teens to low 20's,sunny and convective
1 minute ago, Flash bang flash bang etc said:

Wow, 15 storms isn’t enough? Try 0.5 storms. Mind you apparently lightning struck the mast right behind our flat yesterday at about 13:30 . I wasn’t there but OH says it was simultaneous flash and bang, then she said she could smell burning in the air

Blimey,I be happy with just one decent overnight storm. but no they either died when got here or just skirted by..been really disappointing here,even during they day it been a struggle with just the odd flash and rumble.nothing  overhead really.just had to settle with distant or decaying storm..

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - snow, Irish sea convection. Summer - thunderstorms, hot sunny days
6 minutes ago, Flash bang flash bang etc said:

Only 5 storms? I’m looking for a wind instrument to play you a note on, but it’s so infinitesimally small that I can’t find it

Okay never mind I give up. I’ll go and play in Gordons flower shop instead.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Summer, Snowy winter and thunderstorms all year round!

Heatwave & storms vs the TIT....the TIT wipes out all-comers (Thunderless In Tyne& Wear)

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything even slightly exciting & less Vanilla.

Although it's been a poor year, so far in Kent .. didn't get anything yesterday I wouldn't swap living here for anywhere else.

Just being able to drive down to the Channel and have an unobstructed view of an MCS leaving the French coast and trundling towards the UK is something I'd miss if I moved away.

Have to say I'm really pleased the heat has gone for the time being as without a storm at the end the're seems little enjoyment in sweating profusely day in day out.

Happy for those of you that got a good storm out of this spell and for those who didn't there's still time. (My profile pic was from an evening in October!)

Edited by TN26
  • Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, T Storms.
4 minutes ago, Paul Sherman said:

What you have to take into account is the average UK Thunderstorm lasts 35 minutes and generally gains a height of 17,000 to 20,000ft. They work off around 250jkg to 750jkg of Cape and so rarely get to severe levels. Some of the Storms earlier in the week were working off 2000 to 3000 MU Cape and gained heights of 35,000 to 40,000ft and hence lasted longer gained more height were visible from 100 miles away and had continuous flashing with thousands of strikes. The SE were Unlucky with the Quality of Storms we got plain and simple. 

I would rate the breakdown in my back yard as a 1 out of 10 compared to previous years but some 20 miles south in Maidstone would rate it probably closer to 7.

Its luck of the draw at the end of the day unless you go after and chase these things. The one I got on between Chelmsford and Brentwood last night I would rate a 4 just for the fun factor and nearly getting frazzled twice but then I am quite hardcore and won't think twice about core punching baseball sized hail in the States its a rental don't be gentle is the saying. 

Chin up everyone 

So far I rate it as 0 lol, rain couldn't even reach the ground yesterday. A bit of rain the day before that had an electrified part about 15 miles or so off shore in the north sea. 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms

Has anyone got any clearing skies? Still merky and meh here and not humid feeling at all - maybe I’ve just acclimatised to it after the past week  

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, T Storms.
3 minutes ago, TN26 said:

Although it's been a poor year, so far in Kent .. didn't get anything yesterday I wouldn't swap living here for anywhere else.

Just being able to drive down to the Channel and have an unobstructed view of an MCS leaving the French coast and trundling towards the UK is something I'd miss if I moved away.

Have to say I'm really pleased the heat has gone for the time being as without a storm at the end the're seems little enjoyment in sweating profusely day in day out.

Happy for those of you that got a good storm out of this spell and for those who didn't there's still time. (My profile pic was from an evening in October!)

I'm still sweating, it might be cooler, but it's still so heavy and humid. 

Posted
11 minutes ago, alexisj9 said:

So far I rate it as 0 lol, rain couldn't even reach the ground yesterday. A bit of rain the day before that had an electrified part about 15 miles or so off shore in the north sea. 

For me it's an 11/10  this is a once in a century type thing going on up here.   Though well 'pay' for it by being 'storm starved' for another 10+ years, like the precious 10+ years or so  (Which is generally the norm for us up here, we usually have to watch everyone on the South and East having all the 'fun'  )

Edited by Ryukai
  • Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms!
5 minutes ago, Harry said:

Has anyone got any clearing skies? Still merky and meh here and not humid feeling at all - maybe I’ve just acclimatised to it after the past week  

Grey, miserable and dark but noticeably fresher down here in Torquay; not showing any signs of clearing yet, with the radar showing some drizzle coming in from the NE. 

• Like 1

Posted
5 minutes ago, Harry said:

Come to Stoke on Trent, Cloud is now beginning to burn off rapidly, Sun poking out more and more, and it's forecast to be another hot day and sticky day (currently 22C/16C/70% temp/DP/Hum) and temps are going up, even faster when the sun does poke out

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms
3 minutes ago, Ryukai said:

For me it's an 11/10  this is a once in a century type thing going on up here.   Though well 'pay' for it by being 'storm starved' for another 10+ years, like the precious 10+ years or so  (Which is generally the norm for us up here  )

I’m genuinely chuffed for those areas that have had round after round for cracking storms. I think it was 2018 I had four consecutive days of cracking storms and I’ve got to see some great storms every year for the past several - this year has so far been a huge disappointment but there’ll be more. 

Today could be promising for my area, starting this afternoon and perhaps through the night reading some forecasts so there is still time. 

• Like 1

Posted
1 hour ago, Alderc said:

Another heatwave passes and another pathetic end convectively speaking down here. Don't seem to be able to buy more than weakening storm that staggers towards Bournemouth and then falls apart irrespective of which direction is comes from, south, east, north or west always the same results.

Its a very IMBY post obviously and appreciate many have filled their boots this week, not to mention they were also the same locations that generally had multiple rounds TS activity in June. In fact drawing a line up from Central London to Liverpool and 50 miles either side it looks like it been borderline a terrific summer for storms.

It would be good to see the observed lightning maps for the summer months. We're also in a similar boat here near the dreaded M4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Spanish plumes & stormy winters. Facebook @ Lance's Lightning Shots
32 minutes ago, alexisj9 said:

It's almost like the weather's getting political. Kent votes for Brexit and then sees far fewer imported storms from Europe!

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extreme Weather, Tornado's, Heavy snowfall, Thunderstorms

Storm warning finally been removed from the West Mids. Oh, and err, have a few patches of yellow cloud now. Temp 19C.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine. And storms
23 minutes ago, Ryukai said:

For me it's an 11/10  this is a once in a century type thing going on up here.   Though well 'pay' for it by being 'storm starved' for another 10+ years, like the precious 10+ years or so  (Which is generally the norm for us up here, we usually have to watch everyone on the South and East having all the 'fun'  )

I'd have to reach back a good 20 years to come up with more than one 24hr period with storms, I can recall only one period which stands out and that was in the mid 90s which had storms (on a par with this week's offerings elsewhere) on 2 consecutive days. 

Posted
3 minutes ago, DIS1970 said:

Storm warning finally been removed from the West Mids. Oh, and err, have a few patches of yellow cloud now. Temp 19C.

For today anyway.

Still some good chances to come over the weekend.

We're not out of this yet, don't worry!

Posted
5 minutes ago, Gord said:

For today anyway.

Still some good chances to come over the weekend.

We're not out of this yet, don't worry!

and least i might beable to sit  outside at the meadow lark  without bolting for indoors    warmish outside aswell      a welcome relief.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms & Snow

Convergence is setup nicely in a neat little line across CS England. Cloud looking to start to break ever so slightly so something might go pop in the coming hours if cloud clears more!

2003005881_Screenshot_20200814-120401_NetweatherRadarExtra.thumb.jpg.340cc51e1840b2d7fac0841f61565474.jpg

1039005794_Screenshot_20200814-120516_SamsungInternet.thumb.jpg.7cd3099fbda4b0781086d46b2db1899e.jpg

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Continental. Dry air, storms and snow.

That looks about that for now. Never really had a hum dinger here in LB, always just to the south of us. But ok with the fresher air now. 

just months of Atlantic crud to get through before snow talk

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms in summer, cold/snow in winter
40 minutes ago, Lance M said:

It's almost like the weather's getting political. Kent votes for Brexit and then sees far fewer imported storms from Europe!

I see what you did there but would just like to point out that not all Kent residents voted that way. I'm happy to receive more storms as well as our fair share of migrants  

• Like 2