Storms and Convective discussion- 7th August onwards

Supacell

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms!
6 minutes ago, PurpleLED said:

Anyone know the steering flow? 

Appears to be directly West, so that big Reading storm is going South of us

Posted

Cells now N W and S of me    AGAIN  you cant make this up abc85727698_ScreenShot08-13-20at11_34PM.thumb.JPG.71a4d94cd634ba516a4aaab160a6d22d.JPG

Edited by Nath

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: storms lightning thunder
1 minute ago, thunderhead 2005 said:

is this going to turn into a massive MCS? more cells popping up farnborough basingstoke.

if it does will that spread out possibly toward me aswell?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms and Snowstorms
3 minutes ago, thunderhead 2005 said:

is this going to turn into a massive MCS? more cells popping up farnborough basingstoke.

Unfortunately no, for an MCS to develop you need decent wind shear to help organise and prolong any storms that develop. Tonight wind shear is virtually non-existent and any clumps of storms that form are just "daughter cells" that have been spawned nearby.

ALSO: Tomorrow looking very good for N London in a line SW towards Reading, Salisbury & towards Weymouth based upon AROME 18z.

N London looks best in particular.

Edited by Ben Sainsbury
  • Like 2

Posted

Footage, anything from that Berkshire/Buckinghamshire cell. I've been watching it for the past 45 mins here in Surrey. Consistent, bright lightening. 

Posted
1 minute ago, Ben Sainsbury said:

Unfortunately no, for an MCS to develop you need decent wind shear to help organise and prolong any storms that develop. Tonight wind shear is virtually non-existent and any clumps of storms that form are just "daughter cells" that have been spawned nearby.

Thanks never knew that

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: You can always put a jumper on.
Just now, Superstormuk said:

Footage, anything from that Berkshire/Buckinghamshire cell. I've been watching it for the past 45 mins here in Surrey. Consistent, bright lightening. 

No, too late now, but would ask (new to this site) if you have to use an image / video hosting site or can you directly upload here?

4 minutes ago, Nath said:

Cells now N W and S of me    AGAIN  you cant make this up abc85727698_ScreenShot08-13-20at11_34PM.thumb.JPG.71a4d94cd634ba516a4aaab160a6d22d.JPG

You should have an excellent view! Call me crazy but I'd prefer your location - none of the rain and still close lightning ⚡

Posted
Just now, Colin_P said:

No, too late now, but would ask (new to this site) if you have to use an image / video hosting site or can you directly upload here?

Sorry, bad wording by me. I meant does anyone have any footage etc from that cell? It only passed me, so I didn't see much other than distant lightening. 

• Like 1

Posted
1 minute ago, Steel City Skies said:

You should have an excellent view! Call me crazy but I'd prefer your location - none of the rain and still close lightning ⚡

Yeah i could watch that all night with a beer

• Like 1

Posted
Just now, Steel City Skies said:

All im getting is constant distant flashes, with no thunder.  Just getting more and more jealous lol!! 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Lighting and sunshine
5 minutes ago, Ben Sainsbury said:

ALSO: Tomorrow looking very good for N London in a line SW towards Reading, Salisbury & towards Weymouth based upon AROME 18z.

Much thanks for that second bit.  I'll get some zeds in methinks!

Posted

Holy heck, this storm!! Trying to sleep though it as busy tomorrow but the strikes are within a mile so it's impossible. I counted the number of separate flashes in one minute and it was 31. 

Reminds me of the storm in May of last year whereby it's just strobe lighting.

Very heavy rain.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: You can always put a jumper on.
1 minute ago, Superstormuk said:

Sorry, bad wording by me. I meant does anyone have any footage etc from that cell? It only passed me, so I didn't see much other than distant lightening. 

Your wording was fine.

I could have taken some footage but being new to the site don't know to post it.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Spanish plumes & stormy winters. Facebook @ Lance's Lightning Shots
6 minutes ago, Ben Sainsbury said:

Does tomorrow night look any good Ben? The current MetO graphics show a similar set-up to right now, but they're usually a few hours behind the latest UKV run.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Supercells n snow

OMG.....WOW!!!!! Just drove through the most insane rainfall and lightning I have ever seen.....NASTY!!!! Currently near Marlow and Henley in Berks/Bucks.....many roads starting to flood in Henley and A404 was mad!!!! Got much iPhone footage of strikes (hopefully) within phone slot and a lot of swearing.....MANIC!!! No way was the strike rate 10ish per min as it was saying, it was every second or two!!!!

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Sun, Heat, Cold,T/storms via Spanish plumes *rare*

Well, well, well a bit dissapointed about earlier, thought that we could’ve got some spectacular convective storms for the evening/afternoon especially given the forecast but it looks like these thunderstorms are saving the day from a complete bust! It was action like this I was expecting for the evening! Will be interning to see how sustained this becomes...

EF3D69AB-C1A3-4344-994F-661BFBA51559.png