Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Storms and Convective discussion- 7th August onwards

Supacell

3 minutes ago, Mapantz said:

Latest UKV showing the aforementioned decay..

1279084549_viewimage(4).thumb.png.3eca30e31765618f6d07399b9340b25f.png viewimage.thumb.png.1e61cf411139f07e19ab0959112f9bb3.png

Are you saying that rather unsurprisingly its removed the large batch of storms moving into the central south this evening. 

To be honest its had an absolute shocker down several time this year now.  

Also nothing like AROME - that's not say either will be right. 

Edited by Guest

Posted
Just now, IanieKetchup said:

I enjoy watching storms and I enjoy the often cooler period they bring, goodness for the garden etc but do people really like the risk of having property damage from strikes, wind, golf ball damage to cars or flooding? I like watching from a safe distance but when an intense storm is overhead for hours it's a bit much I find. Possibly only me who feels this way! 

I agree, also this evening i'm responsible for at least 15-20 dinghies on the water so not overly keen on this storm setup, 

• Like 1

Posted

Phew... Finally caught up with the thread    Already Warmer here that yesterday at the same time (Last nights storms seem to have cleared most of the milky haze away so not surprising rally) already around 30C getting up to 31C, Dewpoint/humidity is a nice sticky 22C/65% giving a nice 'Feels like' temp of about 33/34C urgh....  

Oh and there's one solitary struggling little AcCas in the sky (poor thing), which is now becoming hazy/milky thanks to all the contrails again.

Gonna go sort out the footage I took last night now.

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Supercells n snow

Given I have my car back from it's annual service and a new-found RAC membership (after the events of Monday night!) I am half tempted to chase today. 

Am I right in saying that again, the best place appears to be the west mids into Wales? 

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heat, Snow, Thunder

One of the cells that popped up briefly on the pennines west of Bradford as seen from Cleckheaton about half an hour ago. Closest I've been to anything so far this week! 20200812_123621.thumb.jpg.3fbbb7e0bcd2b8f75f5609788db17ef3.jpg

• Like 2

Looking at radar and satellite the atmosphere being advected into the South has already been turned over. The French cloud shield is already bringing in high cloud from the south tonights just going to be another fail its becoming more obvious by the minute.  

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Cold & Snowy, Summer: Just not hot
9 minutes ago, IanieKetchup said:

I enjoy watching storms and I enjoy the often cooler period they bring, goodness for the garden etc but do people really like the risk of having property damage from strikes, wind, golf ball damage to cars or flooding? I like watching from a safe distance but when an intense storm is overhead for hours it's a bit much I find. Possibly only me who feels this way! 

Considering most UK storms have the intensity of a wet fart, I don't think there's much risk!

Besides, whatever we hope for, the weather will do what it wants.

• Like 6

Posted

Well that was quite a night in Scotland. After all of the excitement of the storm heading into Fife which I could see from west of Livi, I settled down and at about 4 am a storm formed right over the top of me. I had constant lightning from around 1 am until 4.30 am, well above 60 flashes a minute. Never seen anything like it in my life. And the rain that last one threw on me was incredible. I opened the front door and the porch was an inch deep in water within about a minute just from the gutters and the splashing from monstrous drops. I fell asleep aroud 4.30 am.

I've just been ouside and it's so hot and humid. No idea of the temp and, quite frankly, don't care. It's so sticky. I got a video of the last one, but not checked it yet. If it's any good I'll upload later.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Dull And Uninteresting Weather
4 minutes ago, IanieKetchup said:

I don't like storms at all and 1 rumble is too many for me but I'm confident nobody here sets out to see homes or property destroyed it's probably the power of the storms that excites them and as for damage by strikes or hail or flooding it's something not really in their control

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: action weather

Hi gang, think we are all at Boiling point, like the Atmosphere today .please beleive me from experience, any predictions from any model whether European British or Jo blogs will be struggling today to get any precise track of storms correct, rainfall and all the fireworks etc that go with it ,but certainly looking like an interesting eventful night and days to come .I think many of you will get to experience your wishes but please stay safe ,there are many thousands of our population scared of violent storms my partner included, she had her chimney badly damaged years ago  and TV was melted to a Ball .It will certainly be a Radar evening and night, cells i think popping up , well gang don't forget to take out your Tv Aerial, and do  not climb up on your roof for a better view !! .Sausage baps and brown sauce on me ,take care all ,Mother Nature The Stage is set ,cheers. 

• Like 9

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...
7 minutes ago, Nick L said:

Considering most UK storms have the intensity of a wet fart, I don't think there's much risk!

Besides, whatever we hope for, the weather will do what it wants.

Though there might be a few people, especially those involved in the Scottish train-derailment, who'd disagree with you?

Edited by General Cluster
  • Like 1

Posted

For what its worth  Hirlam going  for some potent storm  breaking out in the far North west of England  in the next few hours    then the main action is again in Wales and the midlands     and towards the south west 

Edited by weirpig
  • Like 1

Posted

Honestly cant remember the last time my area was hit directly by a thunderstorm, I really hope that changes today

Posted

UKV has been appalling this week with its predictions and Arome has shat all over it so am guessing we have that to cling to today 

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Cold & Snowy, Summer: Just not hot
Just now, Paul Sherman said:

UKV has been appalling this week with its predictions and Arome has shat all over it so am guessing we have that to cling to today 

Yep, it's been dreadful. EC generally much better. 

UKV has been very poor with convection all summer. Earlier in the season it was going totally overboard with any event, even being wrong at T+0!

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, gales, all extreme weather really!
5 hours ago, Oliver Wyndham-lewis said:

What is it with this year?? this could be the worst year I’ve ever seen for storms here in the southeast. The best storm I’ve seen all year was the squall line that went right through London in early June from the north and that was with temperatures at only 14C yet during a mega heatwave we get nothing. Stupid cap!

Definitely the worst for me and I'm 41 now, every year starts with the hope which gradually gets eroded with each let down but in fairness at least I've seen more than a single paltry bolt in prior years. Move to France or North? 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...
4 minutes ago, Nick L said:

Let's not speculate on an event where we have no idea what has caused it eh?

Regardless, most UK storms are tame and do no harm, so I stand by my point.

Well, of course they are... it's the same everywhere. But, sometimes (Lynmouth and Boscastle) storms can cause real problems...

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow/thunderstorms
41 minutes ago, A.J said:

I think it's fair to say when it's all been said and done that the only area this week that wasn't effected by thundery weather was the NE of England....which begs the question, why did I agree to move up here ?... 

Really ?

South coast has been a no go too

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, snow, strong winds
11 minutes ago, Nick L said:

Yep, it's been dreadful. EC generally much better. 

UKV has been very poor with convection all summer. Earlier in the season it was going totally overboard with any event, even being wrong at T+0!

How has EC done over the last couple of days with storms??? Because if it’s been good then there’s a lot of opportunity yet for the southeast

Edited by Oliver Wyndham-lewis

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Dull And Uninteresting Weather
16 minutes ago, Nick L said:

Let's not speculate on an event where we have no idea what has caused it eh?

Regardless, most UK storms are tame and do no harm, so I stand by my point.

suspected cause was a landslip but there not confirming a link with the weather and 1 death believe to be driver and fears of another

Edited by Gordon Webb

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, snow, strong winds

Gone out for a walk in the oven and seeing towers going up ??

D6CC5DFE-2F36-4606-AC6F-6C79E805FDCF.jpeg

• Like 9