Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Storms and Convective discussion- 7th August onwards

Supacell

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny warmth, thunderstorms, frost
27 minutes ago, seabreeze86 said:

Not everywhere in the north we have had nothing here not really been hot either, struggling to break 20c with all the cloud around over the next few days 

I don't recall back to back summers as quiet as this up here. We need to complain more like those from the storm starved South East to ensure a distinction is made on here between the NE and NW of England.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, snow, strong winds
4 minutes ago, Captain Thunderpants said:

I seem to remember years ago that storms fairly regularly used to make their way up from the continent over Dorset and Somerset. Never seems to happen now. Always East, West, or North of us. Seem to have a storm shield. Fingers crossed that something gets through later.... 

Forgotten about last year 23rd of July????? Whole south coast got hit pretty much

• Like 1

Posted
Just now, Captain Thunderpants said:

Actually I had forgotten that one

It still managed to miss me in south London though, was lightning to my east, west and north. Kind of bent around me

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, high teens to low 20's,sunny and convective
3 minutes ago, Gordon Webb said:

yep seems about right , only got them yesterday because they tracked NE but today back to tracking NW then WNW

So frustrating, I thought the Oxfordshire storm was gonna be the one but died as soon as it arrived and as that one was dying I could see the cell over cov way getting active but as soon as that intensified it was moving away.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms!

Some severe weather expected by @UKWX_ !

Looks like another day of everything starting to happen after 7pm

20200812_090408.jpg

• Like 2

Posted
5 minutes ago, Oliver Wyndham-lewis said:

Forgotten about last year 23rd of July????? Whole south coast got hit pretty much

Yeah that was an absolute banger and conversely the only storm I've seen in my location over the past 2.5 years.

Posted
Just now, Vestan said:

20200812_090408.jpg

At least some sites have some confidence for the SE  

• Like 2

Posted
5 minutes ago, Oliver Wyndham-lewis said:

At least some sites have some confidence for the SE  

Best hope for SE is very strong surface heating to 15z so when all the convective inhibition disappears for a couple hours storms can form rapidly. If it's not done by 18z, then homegrown storm chances are virtually nil, and we're off to the French, cap-in-hand (pun intended) for whatever we can get.

Edited by VillagePlank
  • Like 1

Posted
5 minutes ago, Vestan said:

20200812_090408.jpg

goods news for the south east !

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms!
4 minutes ago, viking_smb said:

what site is that from?

UK Weather Updates on Twitter @UKWX_

Just an weather enthusiast, although he does have 14k followers

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Plumes and streamers
6 minutes ago, Captain Thunderpants said:

Actually very unusual that one. Constant wall to wall lightning for just 30ish minutes. All in the clouds and a constant low rumble bit like a distant jet passing over. No rain though. 

Some of the scariest moments for me in that storm. It looked to be a Large collection of pulsing elevated cells that would fire up die back and fire up again. There was also some surface cells mixed in I think. The rain was horrible, but I think the speed of the storms freaked me out. Also I was in unfamiliar territory

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms and Tornadoes
10 hours ago, davehsug said:

Please stop calling it the Stoke storm, its definitely not over us! Sticking very much West and now North.

Oh it did abit later on before finally moving away NE around 1am, never seen such intense and close lightning in the UK since my teenage years going back to the 90's.  I'll admit the earlier were more photo/Video genic with clouds lightning up and cloud to air strikes, the 2nd wave was far too intense and close.

Edited by Hambo-Kun
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - snow, Irish sea convection. Summer - thunderstorms, hot sunny days

I will take as much as I can get here I will not feel sorry for making the most of it as we just had 15 years up here with hardly anything at all so if it is our turn then I am extremely happy about it. The analogy of the reds winning the Premier League after 30 years fits well. What a year.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow, heat, thunderstorms
1 hour ago, seabreeze86 said:

Not everywhere in the north we have had nothing here not really been hot either, struggling to break 20c with all the cloud around over the next few days 

Nothing here either. 2020 is turning into a very poor year for storms in Leeds. I really don’t understand why NW England is hogging all the thunderstorm activity this year.

And don’t even get me started on Scotland getting all these amazing storms even though they haven’t had any of the heat.

Edited by cheese

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything unusual

Officially declaring a bust at 09.35bst for the Sussex coastal areas. 

r̶e̶v̶e̶r̶s̶e̶ ̶p̶s̶y̶c̶h̶o̶l̶o̶g̶y̶ ̶o̶f̶ ̶c̶o̶u̶rs̶e̶ ̶

;) 

• Like 2

Posted
12 minutes ago, cheese said:

Nothing here either. 2020 is turning into a very poor year for storms in Leeds. I really don’t understand why NW England is hogging all the thunderstorm activity this year.

and getting them at the right time of day, 10pm onwards, not too late. I'll take a daytime storm, but it's at night you get the buzz..

Posted
Just now, Mitch perrott said:

dont trust met office lmao

certainly dont trust them, they have here down for a storm at 10am, not a chance, lol