Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Storms and Convective discussion- 7th August onwards

Supacell

18 minutes ago, ChezWeather said:

This is actually scary now, I've never seen such constant lightning

Great isn't it! I'm at a new vantage point in N Sheffield with excellent views to the SW and W ⚡

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Lightning, lightning and erm thunder

And with a grainy picture of the little flash in the channel I’m off to bed. wish it was clearer so you could see the whole shape. Was fab to watch. Night all

F1BFC508-CDC7-4B00-879F-4929C1FECEE0.jpeg

• Like 8

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Lighting and sunshine
1 minute ago, Kirkcaldy Weather said:

... can confidently say these are supercells here...

Maybe that's why Scotland got the amber warning and shrop/stafford/che-shire got yellowed.  Seems like the Edinburgh system is not done yet either

• Like 3

Posted

fab show tonight, lighting the whole valley, can even see green fields over 1 mile away when theres multiple flashes.

constant light show with thunder rumbles and constant growling haha sounds very menacing

• Like 3

Posted
8 minutes ago, Kirkcaldy Weather said:

Absolute madness can confidently say these are supercells here, it takes a lot to scare me but these storms are doing the job had big hail the lightning is never ending  

I'm in the central belt, I've just been out in the field watching the lightning from your weather and I've never seen anything like it in my life! The lightning detector is missing so much! At one point there must have been about 30 flashes per minute. Heard very little in the way of thunder, but what I could make out of the clouds during flashes, that thing is a monster! and at one point

Edited to add - my son was out with me, he's 20. First he lit my way to the field, then offered me his jacket, he was so solicitious, taking care of mummy... and after about 2 minutes of non-stop lightning he bravely suggested what he called a tactical retreat "Please, mum, I don't like it!" 

Edited by Fiona Robertson
To tell tales on my son
  • Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot and Thundery, Cold and Snowy

The Cheshire storm is now veering NE. May even clip Sheffield/Doncaster/Leeds areas. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, Snow, Fog, Frost, Storms and Rain if it rains like it means it.
13 minutes ago, Mitch perrott said:

Would you say the cells in the channel are worth staying up for? wish I saw a shooting star 

Go outside and lie back and watch the sky for a while - either tonight, tomorrow night or Thursday night - I bet you see a bunch of shooting stars as it's Perseid meteor shower peak.  I was out for about 30 mins and saw 12! And amazingly, I could also see the sky flickering in the NW from the distant storm activity: folk up there must be having a stonking show!!

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, snow, strong winds

Is the SE in any sort of risk for tomorrow? Things are starting to once again shy away from activity further east and showing storms across the north and west, again . And those french imports aren’t looking good for tomorrow night either now especially with UKV and AROME. If this heatwave doesn’t go out with a bang for us in the SE then it’s time for Winter to arrive  and 2020 to be over with, a year where everything has been turned upside down.

Edited by Oliver Wyndham-lewis

Posted
1 minute ago, Oliver Wyndham-lewis said:

Is the SE in any sort of risk for tomorrow? Things are starting to once again shy away from activity further east and showing storms across the north and west, again . And those french imports aren’t looking good for tomorrow night either now especially with UKV and AROME. 

We can dream

Posted
  • Location: Leeds/Bradford border, 185 metres above sea level, around 600 feet
  • Location: Leeds/Bradford border, 185 metres above sea level, around 600 feet

It's getting uplift against the Peak District which is why it's looking like it's veering north east, in reality it's just the eastern side seeing more energy.

2 minutes ago, East_England_Stormchaser91 said:

The Cheshire storm is now veering NE. May even clip Sheffield/Doncaster/Leeds areas. 

It's brushing by southern and western parts of Sheffield now

Posted
2 minutes ago, East_England_Stormchaser91 said:

Nowt forecast IMBY (Harrogate, North of Leeds) but I’m going to stay up anyway and hope I get lucky

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow!

Still flashing here, but haven't heard thunder in about 20 mins

Posted
2 minutes ago, summer blizzard said:

It's getting uplift against the Peak District which is why it's looking like it's veering north east, in reality it's just the eastern side seeing more energy.

thats good Im on the eastern edge, watching this storm

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine. And storms
10 minutes ago, Mizzle said:

Go outside and lie back and watch the sky for a while - either tonight, tomorrow night or Thursday night - I bet you see a bunch of shooting stars as it's Perseid meteor shower peak.  I was out for about 30 mins and saw 12! And amazingly, I could also see the sky flickering in the NW from the distant storm activity: folk up there must be having a stonking show!!

One solitary meteor, which equals my total storm total for the year. 

Meh. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine. And storms
11 minutes ago, Oliver Wyndham-lewis said:

Is the SE in any sort of risk for tomorrow? Things are starting to once again shy away from activity further east and showing storms across the north and west, again . And those french imports aren’t looking good for tomorrow night either now especially with UKV and AROME. If this heatwave doesn’t go out with a bang for us in the SE then it’s time for Winter to arrive  and 2020 to be over with, a year where everything has been turned upside down.

Short answer - no. Not in eleventy billion years. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, snow, strong winds
1 minute ago, Mitch perrott said:

Welp... Imma sleep before I get depression from watching the radar, night

Same here mate. I’m going to say a few prayers to the weather gods and try and brave this AWFUL humidity  

• Like 1

Posted

well...after moaning that we had no action all summer....WHAT A STORM! 2 hours of constant lightning, CGs, anvil crawlers and brilliant IC'S of purple and orange and continuous thunder...still raging on as it heads NE..but that was fantastic. 

• Like 7

Posted

Can see the odd flash to my ESE from the cell over Cheshire/Manchester, half tempted to drive somewhere hilly to film it but I think too much cloud cover here to see any decent cell structure that far away and it's probably too late anyway, hopefully tomorrow will produce

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow!

At the southern end, it looks to be looping around Ripley (north of Derby) so the southern tip will go to Mansfield or Worksop

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, snow, and wind storms
Just now, Azuremoon2 said:

well...after moaning that we had no action all summer....WHAT A STORM! 2 hours of constant lightning, CGs, anvil crawlers and brilliant IC'S of purple and orange and continuous thunder...still raging on as it heads NE..but that was fantastic. 

Hope I’ll be able to say words to that effect before this spell of heat is over haha 

• Like 1