Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Storms and Convective discussion- 7th August onwards

Supacell

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winter, warm/hot summer with the odd storm thrown in

Meanwhile away from the main areas of storms further north this has just appeared near Exeter

image.thumb.png.0116654954694e6b8fe990f381930aad.png

• Like 3

Posted

I'm in East Lancs and can see the faintest of flashes in the sky... Just how it began last night. Looking at the lightning map, the nearest lightning is South of Manchester so it's amazing to be able to see the lightning from this distance! It's so calm and warm outside too... Not a breath of air!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sun, Snow and Storms
3 minutes ago, Bishop Brennan said:

Seems like it is finally starting to slowly move away to the north - what a fantastic last hour or so, awe-inspiring stuff.

The Edinburgh and Stoke-on-Trent storms look even more insane than this one, judging by the radar 

Bish

A bit odd Bish

My lightning Tracker has only picked up 5 hits in the Solihull area in the last half hour, yet I reckon I have seen about 3000 quite bright flashes during that time.

It looks as if it only is picking up on CG strikes and those in the cloud tops are so high they are not being counted. 

The thunder is almost non-existent ( a dull ongoing background roar), but the strobe lightning is amazing.

My garden is still very dry, as i missed 90% of last nights rain. But tonights will go down as one to remember.

MIA

• Like 2

Posted

Had a cracking view of the Midlands storm from Stroud. Good hour or so of near continuous lightning, just tailing off now. As much as I love an overhead storm I think I like this set up just as much! Sat out on a warm evening, bbq and a glass of red wine whilst watching lightning flickering in the distance

• Like 2

Posted
14 minutes ago, kev f said:

Currently sat in the garden under clear sky and can see stars directly overhead but it’s so surreal it’s like the blitz to my south and west it’s even lighting the clear sky up

Same here

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heatwaves, thunderstorms, cold/snowy spells.

Looks like the line has finally connected through the Midlands . What a evening this turned into!!!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, high teens to low 20's,sunny and convective

Well talk about being on the edge of two systems,one seem to die and the other moved away so ended up with Nada,just having the sky light up and distant rumbles.was hoping we got a direct hit.oh well try again tomorrow.

Posted

Fantastic hour of pure enjoyment for me and many more folk of Shropshire. It's still rumbling on as it leaves Shrewsbury. Best show in years and the deep constant rumbling was great. Must have been good as all the kids rang me and partner sat up to watch it too. 

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sun, snow, warmth, and thunder.

It's actually shocking how Stratford (and areas S/SW of here) has not actually encountered a single thunderstorm when areas only slightly further north such as Warwick have had major storms both yesterday and today. It seems that they form over this area and move northwards, whilst areas to the south are not producing any convective activity. Very disappointing, but then again tomorrow seems much more likely to deliver.

MyBlitzortungStrikeMap.png

Edited by xSnow

We've had almost constant lightning (a few close hits too... VERY loud thunder) here in Market Drayton (Shropshire) for over half an hour now and it's still going strong. We had hail here earlier too and a few crazy gusts of wind. Not seen a storm like this for about 15 years!!! 

My wife lived in Colorado for a few years as a child and she says she hasn't experienced a storm like this since she lived in the States. Crazy

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms & Snow.

I can see flashes here im in South Wales. Clear skies but i see constant flickering here in swansea. Is this even possible!?

• Like 2

Posted

I hope all this footage I'm taking comes out with even a miniscule amount of 'okay'ness.  Cus this is just Bonkers There's Lightning that looks like it's jumping between Anvils o_O stretching all the way from the clouds north of me off into the distance to the south!!!!!!!

Edited by Ryukai

Posted

After our 5 hour extravaganza last night it’s all quiet here.

but I can see frequent, very elevated distant flashes to the East. Presume from Leigh/Manchester way?

Edited by alijoy60

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extreme Weather, Tornado's, Heavy snowfall, Thunderstorms

Quietened down briefly but looking just to the north of Bromsgrove, it's looks like it has woken from it's nap.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, snow, and wind storms

Flashes in the channel!!

• Like 3

Posted

Rinse and Repeat tomorrow Folks

SE Bakes

Oxford to Welsh Marches and later NW England again to get battered

I said on Saturday well done to Wales and the West Midlands and NW England and for the life of me could not see why the Meto could not be a*sed to actually cover individual areas and putting the blanket warnings out is pure lazyness

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, Snow, Floods...
1 minute ago, Marcus_surfer said:

I can see flashes here im in South Wales. Clear skies but i see constant flickering here in swansea. Is this even possible!?

Yes. My uncle in pontypool sent me a vid as the storm was over us of what he could see and it was the top of the storm with flashing and visible still lightening. Which is mad really as it’s about 50 miles south. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Supercells, snow, thunder snow, tornadoes

Jeez never seen an amber thunderstorm risk

Screenshot_20200811-233024_Met Office.jpg

Edited by Charlie Harnett
  • Like 3

Posted
3 minutes ago, Marcus_surfer said:

Yes absolutely, I have seen it too. 
For you, look to the SE and SW, there are "cells" that have formed which may have some high level lightning too.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms & Snow.

Im in swansea and I can see those flashes from those storms in the Midlands.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, storms and other extremes

This thing deserved a flash amber warning. And to think just a few hours ago they said isolated storms dying out.

• Like 2