Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Storms and Convective discussion- 7th August onwards

Supacell

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Summer, Snowy winter and thunderstorms all year round!
1 hour ago, GeordieX9v said:

Feels absolutely scorching here in Newcastle compared to recent days. No crud from the north sea!

20200811_124747.jpg

currently 22c in newcastle and here in sunderland, compared with further south, that's bone-chillingly cold....nothing expected in the NE at all today, a few elevated showers loitering around the northern pennines & scottish borders but that's it, we're completely out of the game this week

• Like 1

Posted

Looking at the line of clouds on the Weymouth cam, they seem to be leaning towards the south, towards the storm that's moving towards them in a Northwards direction... inflow?????

Also it's gonna be fun watching all those people scatter when this hits  (if it makes it to shore)

Edited by Ryukai
  • Like 3

7 minutes ago, Lance M said:

Yep, it's legitimate precip. It was just the way it appeared out of nowhere without showing light rain at least first that screamed anaprop for one frame.

Shows there's clearing still a big cap in place though. For an intense echo to show like but then not develop it probably exploded from about the 900mb layer and hit a cap further about 600-700mb...

Posted
4 minutes ago, A.J said:

currently 22c in newcastle and here in sunderland, compared with further south, that's bone-chillingly cold....nothing expected in the NE at all today, a few elevated showers loitering around the northern pennines & scottish borders but that's it, we're completely out of the game this week

Probably just becake acclimatised to the cold easterly I am thinking of heading a bit further west as I live in Northumberland. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Ryukai said:

Looking at the line of clouds on the Weymouth cam, they seem to be moving south, towards the storm that's moving towards them in a Northwards direction... inflow?????

Also it's gonna be fun watching all those people scatter when this hits  (if it makes it to shore)

No, just the the surface flow with you still must be north-ish while the plume steering flow is opposite to that.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Convective, Snow
2 minutes ago, Ryukai said:

Looking at the line of clouds on the Weymouth cam, they seem to be moving south, towards the storm that's moving towards them in a Northwards direction... inflow?????

Look at the Sat, im not quite sure whats happening to the south right now, but it looks as if clouds are flying in lots of different directions

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Convective, Snow

Patch of instability to the south of London seems to be growing now too.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot and Thundery, Cold and Snowy

Anybody know which way the general trajectory of these storms will be once they form? Will they follow the same direction as the elevated lot, or be more influenced with lower steering winds? As far as I was aware, storms in general tend to follow the 500hpa flow. Am I correct? 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Spanish plumes & stormy winters. Facebook @ Lance's Lightning Shots
1 minute ago, East_England_Stormchaser91 said:

Anybody know which way the general trajectory of these storms will be once they form? Will they follow the same direction as the elevated lot, or be more influenced with lower steering winds? As far as I was aware, storms in general tend to follow the 500hpa flow. Am I correct? 

The London/M4 ones, if/when they form, are modeled to be NNW turning to N travelling

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Posted

I am pretty sure these are going to form on a line of convergence caused by an easterly sea breeze coming in from the estuary and then backbuild or give the look that they will back build and hence not make much progress to the North or North North West. This event and sounding is very similar to the 1975 Hampstead event in which one of the worst flash flooding events in recent history occured

• Like 8

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Lightning, lightning and erm thunder
15 minutes ago, LightningLover said:

Bubbling cumulus to my North

23E05190-8230-4EBC-924F-1E8E203E2BD2.jpeg

You beat me to it 

A76ABC62-894B-4765-A5C7-E4A3F86468B8.jpeg

• Like 6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms and Snowstorms
5 minutes ago, East_England_Stormchaser91 said:

Yeah roughly at 500hpa ~ 5.5km.

500hpa.thumb.png.2472911b13c72140b5d00a0157ada93c.png9pm.thumb.png.6603ff4c09d7227db1adb41340398e81.png

Edited by Ben Sainsbury
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, high teens to low 20's,sunny and convective

Don't often see that here.temp 30c and dp of 21 

01d.png
WWW.WEATHERHQ.CO.UK

Current observations from weather station Church Lawford.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, storms and other extremes
25 minutes ago, PolarWarsaw said:

All the forecasts are showing a much less stormy week than the what had been built up on this website and social media outlets. 

Strike out for the vast majority of the country yesterday, poor elevated scattered storms around today. It’s ripe out there. I was honestly expecting a memorable week, with most of us taking a hammering, repeated bands of heavy storms.

Reality is, there 3/4 main potential days this week, arguably a main 3. We are half way through the second day and so far it’s been hideously disappointing.

Storms are the only thing that makes this vile sticky heat acceptable. For right now, bring on the Atlantic.

Trouble is these days there always seems to be a cap involved or no mechanism to trigger the storms off.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot and thundery or Cold and snowy.

Hot hot hot

Forecasts have shows storms for here for days now. But as we get closer the forecasts change.

The heat we have at the moment should be creating insane storms. Just hope this cap breaks.

Camon baby!!!!!

Just clear skies currently

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Summer, Snowy winter and thunderstorms all year round!
23 minutes ago, GeordieX9v said:

Probably just becake acclimatised to the cold easterly I am thinking of heading a bit further west as I live in Northumberland. 

Lol...I recently moved up here from the south, was thinking about getting my long John's out,  you guys are hard as nails on seaburn beach wearing skimpy trunks lol

• Like 1

Posted

20200811_142228.thumb.jpg.953959b694e5f6d3fbf43f004a5efeef.jpg

I think this is what the radar is showing on netweather the Swanage side one right of Weymouth. I have a good view from my balcony here.

Edited by Rapodo
  • Like 3

Posted

Currently in Ferndown, Dorset working. Been sat in the car about 20 mins and this has appeared during that time. This looking E towards Poole. 

20200811_142246.jpg

• Like 2

Posted
10 minutes ago, A.J said:

Lol...I recently moved up here from the south, was thinking about getting my long John's out,  you guys are hard as nails on seaburn beach wearing skimpy trunks lol

I was watching the lightning from those storms in the North West last night. It was visible from Newcastle. Hopefully I'll be able to get a bit closer to the action later. We'll see how it all plays out.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms

As I prophesied earlier there are tentative signs of convection appearing over London and to my North. Crystal clear and except a fern like cirrus overhead - and goes without saying, roasting hot - currently 34C

AC97CA03-BC89-4EAC-8F5C-8DA12F3E66C0.jpeg

Edited by Harry
  • Like 2