Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Storms and Convective discussion- 7th August onwards

Supacell

Posted
1 minute ago, viking_smb said:

ah ok, as concerned with tomorrow night and weds night, (i'm back in work thurs) and I was up till 2:30am watching the radar

2 30 could be stoems here tonight

• Like 2

Posted
1 minute ago, SalopWatcher said:

Can see forks of red lightening right up at the top of this distant storm. Crazy looking. 

That's exactly what I though whilst shooting it, odd colour to the sky this evening!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, T Storms.
13 minutes ago, Jamiee said:

image.thumb.png.8a6ea0dacf94de790f6e4d3c74cee7f5.png

If anyone's nearby that shower I'd keep an eye out.

It's starting to peep up & might produce a flash or two.

Outside in case but not seen anything yet. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Lightning, lightning and erm thunder

I’m stood by the sea in Bexhill and can’t see a thing either direction, it’s still darn muggy

• Like 1

Posted

I was up at Bowstones round the back of Lyme Park around 7pm hoping to intercept the would-have-been Birmingham storm as it approached the Peak District but alas it fizzled into nothing. through the haze and murk there was some AcCas towers still around but visibility was limited and I called it quits at 9:30pm when it became clear that neither overhead storm or distant lightning was going to be seen. At least the sunset was good and I managed to get a hour's driving done in the new car.

DSC_0683.thumb.JPG.30f5265dd400c206167705d1a5fb276c.JPGDSC_0699.thumb.JPG.955c211b66f8aa105b4cf27c439ed0a1.JPG

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer: warm, humid, thundery. Winter: mild, stormy, some snow.

Im seeing the lightning from the Wales storm now.. that storm is huge. It's not coming this way but plenty of lightning coming from it.

• Like 1

Posted
6 minutes ago, viking_smb said:

@staplehurst What are your thoughts on the next 2 days mate? please

Stay in bed 

Apart from Scotland, tomorrow is very much a 'where will the cap break' type day. Similar requirements to today - need to find a convergence zone (should be a few about), or a decent hill/mountain and hope it breaks the cap during the late afternoon / evening hours. Large hail and flash flooding the primary threat, shear is weaker tomorrow so cells may struggle to organise as much as they did today. Temperatures near 29-30C for Wales / W Mids to 32-33C for SE England required ideally. If any cells fire near NW Eng then these may benefit from a shortwave running in from the Irish Sea during the evening to grow upscale across northern England and then Scotland overnight, but some uncertainty about that. Models having a tough old time, with all sorts of strange convective feedback issues / random areas of southwards-moving precip which doesn't really help.

Edited by staplehurst
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms & Snow

-61°C Cloud Tops on Wales Storm

xx_sat-en-330-0_2020_08_10_21_30_4858_121.thumb.png.0044c087029c406bb8be8bc31ff0f000.png xx_sat-en-330-0_2020_08_10_21_30_5231_121.thumb.png.a050b2869ce76bb7135b847960107f83.png

• Like 3

Posted

I imagine a fair few cells in the West will develop as the night goes on, just hoping the storm in Wales doesn't do what the storm in Birmingham did 

Posted
1 minute ago, staplehurst said:

Stay in bed 

Apart from Scotland, tomorrow is very much a 'where will the cap break' type day. Similar requirements to today - need to find a convergence zone (should be a few about), or a decent hill/mountain and hope it breaks the cap during the late afternoon / evening hours. Large hail and flash flooding the primary threat, shear is weaker tomorrow so cells may struggle to organise as much as they did today. Temperatures near 29-30C for Wales / W Mids to 32-33C for SE England required ideally. If any cells fire near NW Eng then these may benefit from a shortwave running in from the Irish Sea during the evening to grow upscale across northern England and then Scotland overnight, but some uncertainty about that. Models have a tough old time, with all sorts of strange convective feedback issues which doesn't really help.

Thanks pal much appreciated  

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Severe storms and heavy snow
1 minute ago, Mitch perrott said:

Any point watching this?...

Screenshot_20200810-223658_NW Storm Radar.jpg

Not for a few hours. Everything seems to be happening painfully slow with this set up. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms

Precip across far NE France much more impressive and that’s not producing lightning. Therefore not banking on anything from the discreet showers running through Kent. Off to sleep soon me thinks 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Lightning, lightning and erm thunder
Just now, John90 said:

Not for a few hours. Everything seems to be happening painfully slow with this set up. 

I’ll be going back home for a nap then

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, T Storms.
2 minutes ago, staplehurst said:

Stay in bed 

Apart from Scotland, tomorrow is very much a 'where will the cap break' type day. Similar requirements to today - need to find a convergence zone (should be a few about), or a decent hill/mountain and hope it breaks the cap during the late afternoon / evening hours. Large hail and flash flooding the primary threat, shear is weaker tomorrow so cells may struggle to organise as much as they did today. Temperatures near 29-30C for Wales / W Mids to 32-33C for SE England required ideally. If any cells fire near NW Eng then these may benefit from a shortwave running in from the Irish Sea during the evening to grow upscale across northern England and then Scotland overnight, but some uncertainty about that. Models having a tough old time, with all sorts of strange convective feedback issues / random areas of southwards-moving precip which doesn't really help.

Dover has hit 33 or more since Friday, every day apart from Sunday. I guess this time it'll be cloudy. 

Posted

This storm is unreal. Lightning just literally every second for about an hour now. Needs to come closer so I can hear the thunder better though. 

• Like 7

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: severe storms,snow wind and ice

A couple of weakish cells have developed in Lincoln and Grantham,maybe nothing but see how they show in the next few radar returns.

Posted
2 minutes ago, Mitch perrott said:

Towards France?

Sorry Im Ainsdale In Merseyside!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer: warm, humid, thundery. Winter: mild, stormy, some snow.
4 minutes ago, alijoy60 said:

Just saw a big flash to my West, over the sea.

I saw that and heard the thunder too, but it was one flash affair im afraid. lol.

• Like 1