Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Storms and Convective discussion- 7th August onwards

Supacell

Posted
Just now, UKSupercell said:

Yeah, that's what I thought, I'm hoping so anyway. 

True, although for once I have nothing planned and am looking forward to just sitting out back with a book and chilling out. The M3 is 30 mins south but unfortunately my motor (which is a 200bhp 4x4 Jeep with A/T tyres that goes like the clappers) is in the local garage to be serviced on Tues, so Mum has insured me on her pansy Renault Scenic for the next few days!!!! It's a comfortable drive but let's just say the Jeep is better suited to chasing! 

because it will be better off road, than the scenic, mind you in the right hands a scenic can go a fair few places.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heat, Snow, Thunder

Oh tell me why... do we build castles in the sky  ? 

Surrounded by some of the best altocumulus castellanus I've seen for a long time so must be unstable up there. Remains to be seen if anything results from it! 

20200809_153907.thumb.jpg.9f2bf5cda3fc51cd25bd1364f80a9827.jpg20200809_153912.thumb.jpg.f1b261c37e0ad958e80987f7d0f09e83.jpg20200809_153916.thumb.jpg.c0712ab65f447541d5e6a4fa0735acac.jpg

• Like 7

Posted
25 minutes ago, Flash bang flash bang etc said:

Bucks seems a pretty good bet, surely from there you can head down to the south coast pretty easy along the A34, or hop over to the M3 in under an hour?

From there you can also go west or NW depending on where things break out

yuppp midlands stole it

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, high teens to low 20's,sunny and convective
6 minutes ago, Mitch perrott said:

yuppp midlands stole it

Don't think where I am has,think more north and west will have the fun

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Spanish plumes & stormy winters. Facebook @ Lance's Lightning Shots
17 minutes ago, bazookabob said:

Oh tell me why... do we build castles in the sky  ? 

Surrounded by some of the best altocumulus castellanus I've seen for a long time so must be unstable up there. Remains to be seen if anything results from it! 

20200809_153907.thumb.jpg.9f2bf5cda3fc51cd25bd1364f80a9827.jpg20200809_153912.thumb.jpg.f1b261c37e0ad958e80987f7d0f09e83.jpg20200809_153916.thumb.jpg.c0712ab65f447541d5e6a4fa0735acac.jpg

Ditto

IMG_20200809_160925.jpg

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Severe storms and heavy snow

Similar scenes to the pics above here in the southeast. Has been like that for the past few days however. 

• Like 2

Posted
1 hour ago, staplehurst said:

Well, the Theta-E ridge will be over Wales for most of the night, so in theory a few showers/thunderstorms could develop at any time, but they are more likely towards the very end of the night and perhaps more widely in west Wales during Monday morning

ok thanks mate, It just to put me at rest, as my nerves get bad when storms are possible. 

Edited by viking_smb
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield
  • Weather Preferences: Any Extreme

Well north sea rubbish had the advantage of cooling the house down even further. Cloud only just recently starting broking up here. No real sign of anything unstable here. Looking at XCweather suggests the heat has been bottled up much further south than anticipated so that's probably put the nails in the coffin of anything thundery today. However saying that despite north sea cloud rolling in last night a cell did manage to go up to the south east of us and trundle all the way to coast where it came a thundery shower so who knows what may happen.

• Like 2

Posted

Blinding Milky skies up here, set my camera to as dark as it can go and it's still being overwhelmed  can barely see the cumulous through the haze.  Temps are still alot lower on yesterday too.

1047685152_IMG_20200809_1624128181.thumb.jpg.a9d1562658fa7da771b8347a53477eeb.jpg

Edited by Ryukai
  • Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, storms and other extremes
4 minutes ago, Ryukai said:

Blinding Milky skies up here, set my camera to as dark as it can go and it's still being overwhelmed  can barely see the cumulous through the haze.  Temps are still alot lower on yesterday too.

1047685152_IMG_20200809_1624128181.thumb.jpg.a9d1562658fa7da771b8347a53477eeb.jpg

Feels a lot more humid though. Went out a bit ago and was dripping with sweat. It's going to be a muggy night, even if temperatures aren't that high.

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, storms and other extremes

Also, I think almost anywhere has the chance of seeing a bit of elevated lightning later on tonight.

• Like 5

Posted

9 minutes ago, Ryukai said:

It was a crystal clear sky last night, excellent for astronomy but this afternoon it has got a real milky look to it.

Edited by Weather-history
  • Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: storms lightning thunder

to the east of southampton looks like there are some castle clouds building and to the south looks quite unstable 

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot and Thundery, Cold and Snowy
54 minutes ago, sparky1972 said:

conditions here in sth lincs are certainly not conducive for storms right now, the easterly winds and low cloud have not budged all day, due to remain that way for a fair while yet, met office forecast says storm free for the entire week ahead, so storm chasing in this part of lincs i dont think will be worth it

Wouldn’t discount it bud. July 3/4th 2015 had similar conditions on the day that great event happened. Remember it not even feeling thundery at all during the evening, and even North Sea crud temporarily reducing the epic lightning I could see approaching. All is certainly to play for over these next few days. 

Edited by East_England_Stormchaser91
  • Like 3

Posted
6 minutes ago, East_England_Stormchaser91 said:

Wouldn’t discount it bud. July 3/4th 2015 had similar conditions on the day that great event happened. Remember it not even feeling thundery at all during the evening, and even North Sea crud temporarily reducing the epic lightning I could see approaching. All is certainly to play for over these next few days. 

Loved the storm around that time, I remember seeing lightning when the storm was only 50 miles away or so. Hopefully some similar scenes in the coming days  

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Any Extreme

Wednesday maybe the evening for us at the moment. Problem disappear near the time just to rub it in.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Spanish plumes & stormy winters. Facebook @ Lance's Lightning Shots

The AcCas to the east is now organising into some well structured lines. I'd be properly excited if I hadn't seen the poor models/outlook!

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winter, warm/hot summer with the odd storm thrown in

The hazy sun I’ve had all day here has been replaced by this 

6C9D7B69-6435-4CC1-A9F2-490B5D492A81.jpeg

• Like 6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Atlantic Storms, Thunder & Lightning, Snow.

• Like 7