Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Model output discussion - August hot spell - how hot, how long?

Posted

For the SE the models suggests we are going to see one of the most sustained hot spells we've seen. It may not have the length of the crazy 76 spell, but a realistic chance that 32c is breached for 5 days in a row. Far from impossible that most days get close to or above 35c in that little run as well.

Very stagnant heat coming up for the SE and there is going to be little relief from it once it's here.

Beyond that strengthening hints of a cool down of sorts but watch this space on that front...

• Like 9

Pretty much as you were this morning, likely to be hot in the south for a good 4-6 days and with temps into the low 30’s it’s likely to feel pretty humid at times too with the risk of slowing moving popcorn type thunderstorms driven by high PWAT potential. First though a lot of cloud and moisture to clear, it’s drizzled all night here and there is a lot of cloud downstream that looks pretty robust, can only see the cloud breaking across the extreme SE anytime soon and will likely limit any decent buildup of heat today to run into tomorrow’s scorcher. 

Posted

Still no sense of direction for next week beyond hot, humid and thundery ....... probably .....  well certainly for the first couple days 

trying to pin down what that upper trough will do in the upcoming set up is proving more than a little difficult for the nwp ....

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

Posted

Just had a look at gfs for here in Southampton it has 30cFriday 33cSaturday sunday32c Monday33c Tuesday33c Wednesday33c These are all adding 1c so could be more. Most intense prolonged heat for some years take care guys! 

• Like 8

Posted

Ec op has a more notable feature mid Atlantic day 5.  That’s potentially going to move the remainder of the run  on a bit of a tangent with more easterly push than previous runs in the day 6/7 period (unless the Atlantic digs south which is possible but unlikely ).  This run seems to add more uncertainty than provide any clarity which is not a surprise 

Edited by bluearmy
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, storms and other extremes

GFS explodes thunderstorms across the Midlands /N England/E Wales Sunday night

image.thumb.png.fc2e777c9f157ab754d364b0a3033de2.png

Edited by CreweCold
  • Like 8
  • Thanks 1

Posted
1 minute ago, CreweCold said:

GFS explodes thunderstorms across the Midlands /N England Sunday night

Best of both worlds for you then CC - avoid the extreme heat and get some pyrotechnics!

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, storms and other extremes
1 minute ago, Djdazzle said:

Best of both worlds for you then CC - avoid the extreme heat and get some pyrotechnics!

In an ideal world...

Looks like somewhere will get a light show.

Edited by CreweCold
  • Like 1

Posted
10 minutes ago, Gordon Webb said:

Well I don't mind if you have them all

edit - actually going out to Wednesday it's precipitation rain doesn't really show that much , not sure how much stock I would take from that Sunday night chart , probably all change anyway next few runs

the one I do agree with CreweCold is that the S/SE can keep the heat I do not want it

Yes I agree , precip charts probably not to be taken too seriously beyond a couple of days.

The SE does look very hot over the upcoming period though, mid 30s is a smidge too high for me personally.

The humidity will also be quite high I would imagine.

• Like 1

Posted

New Thread
I've done it a bit differently this morning and opened a fresh thread by splitting out the posts from this morning from the old thread into here, as the old one was a bit long and starting to grind the gears a bit. 

If you're wanting to learn more about meteorology, please take a look at the Learning and Research area.

Model Output And Charts On Netweather:
UKV (Extra subscribers)
GFS
GEFS Ensembles
ECMWF
ECMWF EPS
NetWx-SR (3km)
NetWx-MR (9km)
Met Office (UKMO)
Fax
GEM
GFS Hourly

Model Comparison
Golbal Jetstream
Stratosphere

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Hot and Sunny but not opressive

Later frames of the Navgem .

The last frame is actually the only time 20c uppers make inroads in to England . 

519FC902-44D1-414C-993F-9B988B1E4175.png

F8B4BB6D-0D8A-40FB-86EC-6E54B6E093D8.png

80656ADF-24EC-41E5-B504-5A4E35F382E7.png

1E39F3B7-DC28-440F-953B-04D3419F80D0.png

• Like 4

Posted

re this

Anomaly charts are great for trends but they can't tell me what weather I might get on a certain day, which the NWP does very well (usually) within 6 days.

I do agree that, good as it is to see folk looking and using these charts, sometimes the summary of what the poster says they show is, in my view, not really correct. As MWB posts they are not for surface detail at all. They can, when used carefully, give a very good idea of what the general weather is likely to be in the 6-10 day range and can be useful in the 8-14 day outlook also.. 

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

Posted
1 hour ago, Djdazzle said:

No heat in Wales still we miss out on the fun. Average temperatures apart from tomorrow. We can expect some thunderstorms though