Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

The snowstorm that never happened

Arch Stanton

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine and 15-25c
19 hours ago, I remember Atlantic 252 said:

don't make February's of old anymore, used to be a snowy month, Feb '78 from 7th to 19th looked snowy, but suppose normal back then

Feb 78 was far from normal even for back then..as i said before this the most amount of snow i have ever seen in one sitting and that takes into account i live now in Canada..the blizzard of Feb 1978 was probably a 1 in 100 year event 

Edited by cheeky_monkey
  • Like 1

Posted
14 hours ago, cheeky_monkey said:

Feb 78 was far from normal even for back then..as i said before this the most amount of snow i have ever seen in one sitting and that takes into account i live now in Canada..the blizzard of Feb 1978 was probably a 1 in 100 year event 

And that was a restricted area as well. Most of the country got nothing from that particular event. 

Posted
On 25/10/2020 at 19:36, Don said:

The January 1997 cold spell was a disappointment full stop IMBY with next to no snow at all.

Most of the snow that fell here was New Year's Eve into early hours of New Year's . There was little snow after this.

The Januarys of the 1990s were really poor for cold and snow. Take January 1996, it was mild cloud fest until the final third of that month and that was one of the better Januarys  of the 1990s for decent wintry weather. 

Posted
On 27/10/2020 at 07:01, Weather-history said:

Most of the snow that fell here was New Year's Eve into early hours of New Year's . There was little snow after this.

The Januarys of the 1990s were really poor for cold and snow. Take January 1996, it was mild cloud fest until the final third of that month and that was one of the better Januarys  of the 1990s for decent wintry weather. 

Even prior to New Year's Eve, there was very little snow where I was (despite the forecasts).  However, saying that, I did see an inch or two on the morning of the 27th December but it had all but gone by the end of the day.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
Posted

For us, the biggest bust of the lot is this:

CFSR_1_2018022800_2.png

There's been many marginal setups over the years that delivered nothing for us, but at 7 miles from the coast at sea level you sort of expect it. However, to have a setup such as this which is pretty much synoptically perfect and get less than 1cm was the biggest disappointment I can remember. For reasons unknown, very few showers hit the area. What's even more bizarre, is that the second one that came in the March did exactly the same.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!
5 hours ago, Weather-history said:

Seem to recall Matt Taylor being sent to Stirling in Scotland during early December 2008 by BBC Breakfast. I think the reason he was sent there was the expectations of a snowy Stirling. Infact it was a green one!

green here, very much like 26th into 27th Feb this year

Posted
25 minutes ago, reef said:

For us, the biggest bust of the lot is this:

CFSR_1_2018022800_2.png

There's been many marginal setups over the years that delivered nothing for us, but at 7 miles from the coast at sea level you sort of expect it. However, to have a setup such as this which is pretty much synoptically perfect and get less than 1cm was the biggest disappointment I can remember. For reasons unknown, very few showers hit the area. What's even more bizarre, is that the second one that came in the March did exactly the same.

did well here that one! thought your location would hammer mine

Posted
3 hours ago, I remember Atlantic 252 said:

green here, very much like 26th into 27th Feb this year

Snow did fall but it was further south, remember snow falling here but it never stuck

NEWS.BBC.CO.UK

Edited by Weather-history

Posted
21 minutes ago, Weather-history said:

Snow did fall but it was further south, remember snow falling here but it never stuck

We did get a lot of snow here in Leeds Bradford during that December 2008 spell. It was what I consider the first major snowfall in the 2008-13 colder period. The end of the month was freezing too but it didn’t snow here.

• 2 weeks later...
Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Cool & dry, with regular cold, snowy periods.
5 hours ago, Weather-history said:

8th/9th December 1990, virtually missed out on that snow event. We did have snow but it wasn't persistent enough to stick and it rained maybe sleet that evening as well.

I remember that  - we did miss out, and I wasn't happy. It was cold, and the sky even had that tinge when you get snow. 

Posted

14th Jan 2013, setup not all that uncommon but when the air is cold enough it moves too far East, now models for next week showing similar setup, but with no real cold air it will most likely go more West, snow off this, jack sh#t, even thawed snow already on the ground

archives-2013-1-14-0-0.pngarchives-2013-1-14-12-0.pngarchives-2013-1-15-0-0.png

Posted
On 22/11/2020 at 06:07, Weather-history said:

Not sure, I would have thought December 1995 was snowier?

That's a good point!  I seem to remember seeing something about it at the time being the snowiest since 1981.  Thinking about it, it may have been the snowiest start to the month since 1981 for the north?  There was snow early December 1995, but I think that was more of a south east event with the north really experiencing the fun and games later in the month?

Edited by Don

Posted

14th Jan 2013, setup not all that uncommon but when the air is cold enough it moves too far East, now models for next week showing similar setup, but with no real cold air it will most likely go more West, snow off this, jack sh#t, even thawed snow already on the ground

I remember on Saturday 12th the metoffice were forecasting significant snow for the south on the Monday but it ended up being too marginal and was mainly rain/sleet.  However, not to worry as the goods were delivered Friday 18th.....

Edited by Don

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: cold and snowy. Summer: hot and sunny

I remember an event from the mid 90's (95/96) where there was a forecast of around 4 inches of snow, and as a 9/10 year old I was very excited. I remember going with my mum, dad and grandparents that day to visit my great grandmother in Canterbury and us setting off back home to London a little early to beat the weather and the snow that was forecast. As it turned out, as we drove home we were lashed by heavy rain/sleet which was a huge disappointment. My dad and I watched the BBC weather forecast that evening when we got home and I remember Suzanne Charlton saying that freezing rain turned up instead of the snow that had been forecast. 

I'm almost certain this was the event and the second video is that same Suzanne Charlton forecast I saw back then talking about rain/sleet/freezing rain instead of snow:

Forecast from the day before:

Forecast by Suzanne Charlton the next day:

Edited by danm

Posted

Sat 30th Dec '95? delivered here, snowfest!

Freezing rain fest where I was!

• Like 1

Posted
On 26/11/2020 at 18:50, I remember Atlantic 252 said:

That snow event ended up right in my back yard. The east of the UK got hit most but we did miss out on the 18th event. By the time it reached us the band of snow had faded completely

• 4 weeks later...
Posted

I remember watching a BBC weather forecast in the early to mid 80's. Described by the forecaster as a rare blizzard, it was going to hit The Midlands down to The South coast. Overnight however the low took a last minute unexpected southern turn, leaving the mainland snowless but hitting The Channel Islands (and Northern France) with 4 foot drifts. 

Pete

• Like 1

• 2 years later...
Posted
On 20/10/2020 at 05:38, Weather-history said:

Not a snowstorm but this was a shocker of a forecast and a kick in the teeth especially after almost 2 years of hardly any snow

24th January 1993 suggest a short wintry blast and it looked good, Ian McCaskill seemed confident. I remember even Granada issuing a severe weather warning for snow that Sunday evening.  Next morning, nothing. at most it was a few wintry showers, I don't recall even seeing any lying snow on the Pennines. 

What a letdown and a forecasting bust

30 years ago

I can still remember this forecast, I thought something was going to happen, the emphasis Ian mentioning "a spell of severe wintry weather for northern Britain" and later that same day.

Wow, that was a shocker.

Posted
1 hour ago, Weather-history said:

30 years ago

I can still remember this forecast, I thought something was going to happen, the emphasis Ian mentioning "a spell of severe wintry weather for northern Britain" and later that same day.

Wow, that was a shocker.

Could contain: Page, Text, Newspaper, Person

Look at the Telegraph for NE England and eastern Scotland

"Blizzards and severe drifting snow"

😱