IGNORED

The snowstorm that never happened

Arch Stanton

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!

this aswell, if it was pre mid 90's it would have happened I guess

https://modeles.meteociel.fr/modeles/gfs/archives/gfs-2020022700-0-6.pngimage.thumb.png.4c420fc4e3cb6029f82acf71ecc9951b.png

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Continental winters & summers.

Some snowfalls that disappointed here are:

17th January 2016 - precipitation not heavy enough and was a bit marginal, so ended up with drizzle

10th February 2012 - hardly any precipitation

18th February 2010 - heavy snow falling all day but never settled

08th February 2007 - heavy snow only briefly then milder air followed

24th February 2005 - as mentioned by somebody else, ended up too marginal so had sleet either side of snow shower days

Some snowfalls that exceeded expectations are:

01st February 2019 - the persistence of heavy snow was impressive as it the snow mass kept building on the northern edge

27th December 2017 - after a wet Christmas & Boxing Day, it was surprising to see how much snow settled

14th January 2015 - under the sweet spot of a snow streamer off the Severn; melted very quickly in the sunshine though

18th December 2010 - impressive dumping after already catching a streamer the day before

21st December 2009 - again, the famous Severn streamer aligned itself perfectly during the early hours

05th & 06th February 2009 - forecasts had suggested rain south of the M4 earlier in the week, but actually these places got the heaviest snow

12th March 2006 - wasn't expecting much precipitation with the heavier stuff forecast to be to the north, but still copped a few inches

26th February 2004 - a few hours of very heavy snow (whiteout conditions) 

10th December 2002 - what could've been a much better easterly still produced lying snow for a time

Some completely unexpected snowfalls:

06th April 2008 - wasn't expecting a trough in the early hours to be this far west, but left a dusting

11th January 2008 - heavy rain all morning turned to snow in the afternoon and stuck; one of the few times I've seen flooded roads and snow on the verges

09th February 2007 - a true fight between milder and colder air with heavy snow falling for much of the day but never quite settling

24th January 2007 - what should've been a wishbone northerly, left a dusting in the early hours

28th February 2005 - after the failed easterly the week before, it was a surprise to wake up to lying snow under a much more anticyclonic setup

19th December 2004 - went to bed to the sound of pouring rain on the roof the night before and woke up to a good few inches of snow; classic slidergate

Most other snow instances were as expected. 

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: 30 Degrees of pure British Celsius

Could have been referring to the mid-January 1985 blizzard that was to come which was all over the news and John Cravern's Newsround (even in those days)...snow had already fallen earlier in the month and the weather was still fairly cold. The low pressure that was to deliver to most central and southern parts of England (up to 10 inches was expected) dived further south and went into northern France and not a flake fell - big bust by the MetO.

• Thanks 1

Posted

On 11/08/2020 at 21:22, SqueakheartLW said:

The snow event that I definitely remember been forecast was the one for the night of Wednesday 23rd February 2005 into Thursday 24th. The link is below.

They talked of persistent snow setting in during the night and I was in the highest risk area with local falls of up to 15cm predicted. Get up the next morning and the snow from the previous day's showers had all melted and it was pouring with rain with a bit of sleet mixed in. That was one big flop by the bbc weather forecast that day

I remember this. The whole SE regional thread waited the entire day watching the dutch radar for the beast to arrive & when it did it jaffa cakesed down with rain.

Elevation was the key here. On trevor Harleys site boltshape park in the NE got 50cm of snow.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: SNOW AND FREEZING TEMPS
9 hours ago, I remember Atlantic 252 said:

this aswell, if it was pre mid 90's it would have happened I guess

https://modeles.meteociel.fr/modeles/gfs/archives/gfs-2020022700-0-6.pngimage.thumb.png.4c420fc4e3cb6029f82acf71ecc9951b.png

We got a bit of snow here out of that . Bit of a let down tho but some snow is better than no snow I suppose. 

F1867B34-2AD3-48E2-8C73-C9606629E401.jpeg

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: In summer, a decent thunderstorm, and hot weather. In winter, snow or gale
5 hours ago, MP-R said:

Some snowfalls that disappointed here are:

17th January 2016 - precipitation not heavy enough and was a bit marginal, so ended up with drizzle

10th February 2012 - hardly any precipitation

18th February 2010 - heavy snow falling all day but never settled

08th February 2007 - heavy snow only briefly then milder air followed

24th February 2005 - as mentioned by somebody else, ended up too marginal so had sleet either side of snow shower days

Some snowfalls that exceeded expectations are:

01st February 2019 - the persistence of heavy snow was impressive as it the snow mass kept building on the northern edge

27th December 2017 - after a wet Christmas & Boxing Day, it was surprising to see how much snow settled

14th January 2015 - under the sweet spot of a snow streamer off the Severn; melted very quickly in the sunshine though

18th December 2010 - impressive dumping after already catching a streamer the day before

21st December 2009 - again, the famous Severn streamer aligned itself perfectly during the early hours

05th & 06th February 2009 - forecasts had suggested rain south of the M4 earlier in the week, but actually these places got the heaviest snow

12th March 2006 - wasn't expecting much precipitation with the heavier stuff forecast to be to the north, but still copped a few inches

26th February 2004 - a few hours of very heavy snow (whiteout conditions) 

10th December 2002 - what could've been a much better easterly still produced lying snow for a time

Some completely unexpected snowfalls:

06th April 2008 - wasn't expecting a trough in the early hours to be this far west, but left a dusting

11th January 2008 - heavy rain all morning turned to snow in the afternoon and stuck; one of the few times I've seen flooded roads and snow on the verges

09th February 2007 - a true fight between milder and colder air with heavy snow falling for much of the day but never quite settling

24th January 2007 - what should've been a wishbone northerly, left a dusting in the early hours

28th February 2005 - after the failed easterly the week before, it was a surprise to wake up to lying snow under a much more anticyclonic setup

19th December 2004 - went to bed to the sound of pouring rain on the roof the night before and woke up to a good few inches of snow; classic slidergate

Most other snow instances were as expected. 

Yes to counterbalance the disappointment of failed snowfalls there's always the other side of the coin.  A few for this area..

1 February 2019.  We were forecast just a sleety mixture for the friday afternoon  after a couple of inches overnight.  What we got was the deepest snow I remember experiencing on the ground after continuous very heavy snow from about 2pm to 8pm

6 april 2008.  We were forecast some snow showers on the sunday morning, but not the deepest ever april snow at about 4 inches, with a massive boom of thunder from a single positive strike which totalled power lines in a local village

21 December 2009.  The big one for this area.  Was to be just rain, but an afternoon of traffic chaos ensued after 4 inches in 3 hours

6 feb 2009 stands out too for a heavy thundery snow shower, although there was already snow on the ground

• Like 2

Posted
Just now, ICE COLD said:

We got a bit of snow here out of that . Bit of a let down tho but some snow is better than no snow I suppose. 

F1867B34-2AD3-48E2-8C73-C9606629E401.jpeg

not a sausage here, maybe more of a southern event

• Like 1

Posted
2 minutes ago, SummerShower said:

Yes to counterbalance the disappointment of failed snowfalls there's always the other side of the coin.  A few for this area..

1 February 2019.  We were forecast just a sleety mixture for the friday afternoon  after a couple of inches overnight.  What we got was the deepest snow I remember experiencing on the ground after continuous very heavy snow from about 2pm to 8pm

6 april 2008.  We were forecast some snow showers on the sunday morning, but not the deepest ever april snow at about 4 inches, with a massive boom of thunder from a single positive strike which totalled power lines in a local village

21 December 2009.  The big one for this area.  Was to be just rain, but an afternoon of traffic chaos ensued after 4 inches in 3 hours

6 feb 2009 stands out too for a heavy thundery snow shower, although there was already snow on the ground

09 Feb 2007, very good unexpected event, 06 April 08, half expected a bit, but was very good, 5th Jan '98

Posted
On 06/10/2020 at 21:06, SummerShower said:

Not sure if it was 20 or 21 Dec 2009, but the forecast underestimated the amount of snow in the evening here. Heavy thunder snow off Morecambe Bay, had about 7 inches. It was the same day we had a mini earthquake. It was a Monday. Christmas Day 2010, unexpected hour and half of snow late morning. Not forecast at all, and given barely a mention.

Posted

Evening of 11th March 2004, the Met Office issued a severe weather warning for snow that evening for my area, I think it was issued at 10pm. When I saw the radar, it looked as though it was going to be a bust, the snow area seemed to refuse to get any closer. Next morning, the ground was bone dry and there were only a few flakes in the air from time to time. 

BRA_1_2004031200_45.png

Posted
23 minutes ago, Weather-history said:

Evening of 11th March 2004, the Met Office issued a severe weather warning for snow that evening for my area, I think it was issued at 10pm. When I saw the radar, it looked as though it was going to be a bust, the snow area seemed to refuse to get any closer. Next morning, the ground was bone dry and there were only a few flakes in the air from time to time. 

BRA_1_2004031200_45.png

exactly same happened here 2 years later, dumping promised on Sunday 12th March 2006, just a bit of drizzle I got

Posted
13 minutes ago, Summer18 said:

11th December 2017, we was supposed to get snow here but all we got was a a few flakes on the Sunday afternoon. Areas further south got a right dumping. 

10th? good event here, but even better for W Midlands

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, convective precipitation, snow, thunderstorms, "episodic" months.
48 minutes ago, Weather-history said:

I remember being in Lancaster then, it was the same there, just a few flakes in the wind and I don't think any of it settled.

Posted
12 minutes ago, I remember Atlantic 252 said:

10th? good event here, but even better for W Midlands

Ah yes it would have been the 10th December, we did get some of the 27th December that year that was a nice surprise! 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms in the summer, frost fog & snow in winter.

Still have nightmares about the heavy snow forecast for the south of the uk over night a few years back, the low pressure ended up being even further south and buried the channel islands! There was a few snow flakes blowing about in the wind the following morning but that was it, the snowfall caused chaos in the channel Islands though & northern france due to the snow depths.

• Like 1

Posted
Just now, Smartie said:

Still have nightmares about the heavy snow forecast for the south of the uk over night a few years back, the low pressure ended up being even further south and buried the channel islands! There was a few snow flakes blowing about in the wind the following morning but that was it, the snowfall caused chaos in the channel Islands though & northern france due to the snow depths.

crap! remember it too!

archives-2013-3-11-0-0.png

Posted
On 09/10/2020 at 21:14, I remember Atlantic 252 said:

crap! remember it too!

archives-2013-3-11-0-0.png

Yes, very disappointing indeed.....  I think the south coast managed to have a taster of the event but most of the snow stayed in the channel.  What a waste, apart from the channel islands!! 

Edited by Don