Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Cold Minimum Temps Summer 2020

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow/Thunderstorms

St Harmon in Wales recorded an air frost this morning with a low of -0.1c.

Here in North Yorkshire we have some notably cold minimum temps so far this month.

Keld in the Yorkshire Dales recorded a low of 1.4c on the 12th of July.

This morning Yockenthwaite, also in the Dales, recorded a low of 1.6c.

This comes off the back of June where Goathland in the North York Moors recorded a minimum of -0.4c, the first ever summer air frost I have see here since I've had my network of weather stations.

Here are this mornings minimums across North Yorkshire.

spacer.png

Has anyone else found they have had notably cold minimum temps so far this summer?

• Like 1

Posted

Nothing noteworthy here, but agree there have been a few chilly nights. Last night included indicative of perhaps the colder arctic air we had this winter and spring, filtering in slightly colder than normal NW airstreams as we have endured for much of this July so far. Tonight is expected to be another cold one for July. I suspect we are nearing the part of the year when average minima is at it's highest. Air frosts late July and early August must be fairly rare.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold snowy winters, warm springs, hot summers, warm then stormy autumn

We’ve had a few cool nights for sure, this month most nights have ‘only’ been 10/11°C, minima was 7.6°C on the 11th. A low of 8.0°C this morning..

In June, we had 5°C minima on the 6th, most nights were 9-11°C apart from the period of heat at the end of the month. Even then, the minima hasn’t been exceptionally high. On the 26th, it only got down to 17.6°C in the overnight period but it was cancelled out in my daily data later in the day after the cold front passed.

I find that we can still easily achieve high minima (mid-high teens) even in September or October. Particularly if we get the influence of a TS, a muggy flow in general or another low pressure system dragging us moist air with strong winds from the Atlantic. Also minima in the winter that is similar to the average maxima isn’t out of the ordinary, especially with our typical winter pattern... LP after LP... storms. Minima in the high single digits or even the low teens is pretty typical.

Edited by CheesepuffScott

Posted
  • Location: Ashbourne,County Meath,about 6 miles northwest of dublin airport. 74m ASL
  • Weather Preferences: Cold weather - frost or snow
  • Location: Ashbourne,County Meath,about 6 miles northwest of dublin airport. 74m ASL

I love these cool nights during summer,hate warm muggy humid summer nights . 

Got down to 6.8c last night coolest so far this month,may get lower tonight.  Coldest night in June was 6th of June  got down to 4.6c.

Certainly been a reasonable number of nights this summer getting down into single figures which is fine by me.

Edited by sundog
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: January 1987 / July 2006
9 minutes ago, sundog said:

Got down to 6.8c last night coolest so far this month,may get lower tonight.  Coldest night in June was 6th of June  got down to 4.6c.

Certainly been a reasonable number of nights this summer getting down into single figures which is fine by me.

Never dip much below low double digits here during July / August. Usually start to see our first 6/5c temps very and of August and early September. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: clear skies , hard frost , snow !

rarely gets below 10c here through July & first 2/3 of August so lasts nights' min of 7.4c was fairly notable,  felt like first week September when Iet the dog out at 6am this morning - with the right conditions it can get quite cool over the sandy soils of Esher Common..

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: extremes the unusual and interesting facts

Lowest minimum for July is -2.5 deg,recorded in 1977 at Lagganlia,Scotland on the 15th and in 1986 at St Harmon,Powys,Wales on the 9th.

Edited by hillbilly
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winter, warm/hot summer with the odd storm thrown in

Not as cool as others here but it did drop into single figures on 11th July with a low of 9.8°C which is the first time in 4 years of living here that's happened in July. June also had more single digit minimum temps than in the last few years. 

Posted
2 hours ago, sundog said:

You may love them, but one of the joys of summer is a long, warm, sunny evening. No fun at all when a couple of layers have to go on as soon as the clock hits 7pm. We have every other season of the year for cold evenings and nights thank you!

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winter, warm/hot summer with the odd storm thrown in
3 hours ago, davehsug said:

You may love them, but one of the joys of summer is a long, warm, sunny evening. No fun at all when a couple of layers have to go on as soon as the clock hits 7pm. We have every other season of the year for cold evenings and nights thank you!

Yes that's one thing I've really missed this summer is the warm evenings. I can only think of 3 so far this year where the temperatures still near 20­°C around 8pm. I don't expect or want it to still be that temperature at midnight like it was during the brief hot spell in June but I've usually had more warm evenings than so I have far this year. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow/Thunderstorms

St Harmon in Wales down to 0.0c this morning.

My coldest station was at Ravenseat Farm, home to Amanda Owen (Yorkshire Shepherdess) high up in Yorkshire Dales with a low of 2.9c.

• Thanks 1

Posted

We had 4.6C on the 11th July here, 6.3C yesterday and 5.3C today.

Although I live in Devon 3 miles from the coast, we're almost on the floodplain of a river valley so get cool nights all year.

In contrast, a weather station 300m from the coast in Sidmouth, and less than 3 miles from me, had a low of 12.7C last night, and the lowest they've had this month is 10.7C.

The lowest I've recorded in July (2008-present) is 3.7C on the 31st July 2015. Most July's get a minimum of 6-7C, although in 2018 the lowest was 8.8C.

Posted
20 hours ago, matt111 said:

Yes that's one thing I've really missed this summer is the warm evenings. I can only think of 3 so far this year where the temperatures still near 20­°C around 8pm. I don't expect or want it to still be that temperature at midnight like it was during the brief hot spell in June but I've usually had more warm evenings than so I have far this year. 

Yes that’s true.

Even during the nice sunny spells in April and May, the evenings were still mostly chilly or cold, probably due to colder atmosphere from the winter season.

Mind you, even when it’s hot in May, the evenings can still feel cool. 

We haven’t had many warm to hot evenings this summer, because it hasn’t been warm enough for long enough.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!
Just now, Sunny76 said:

Yes that’s true.

Even during the nice sunny spells in April and May, the evenings were still mostly chilly or cold, probably due to colder atmosphere from the winter season.

Mind you, even when it’s hot in May, the evenings can still feel cool. 

We haven’t had many warm to hot evenings this summer, because it hasn’t been warm enough for long enough.

only 4, June 23-26th

Posted
6 minutes ago, I remember Atlantic 252 said:

only 4, June 23-26th

Yes, that’s when it felt really warm at night. In most years, we would have at least a couple of weeks worth of warm nights by mid to late June. 

This could be an early indication of a colder winter season to come. Just a casual assumption though.

Posted

The record minimum July temperature here is 6.6C set in 1999 (since 1980). We've had four nights this month in the 7s (7.7C, 7.2C, 7.7C and 7.6C) so quite cool but nothing too notable.

2019 saw a min of 7.0C and 2015 saw 6.8C.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted

It could be, but I also think it’s because it hasn’t been warm enough at times. 

There were still some chilly nights in 2019 in between the heatwave of July and warm snap in late June.