Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

CLOSED Topics

Posted

It's a pity to arrive at the site to see closed topic. It wouldn't be so bad if the information in the topic was final and conclusive and not subject to any new information, changes, new technology, better more useful devices and gadgets etc. That's what I wanted to bring to the table, but now I can't. I can't see any reason to close a topic on thermometers from 2015. Believe it or not, thermometers are still evolving and where to get them and what kind of price is the right price for different types plus feedback about their use; this is all information that visitors here donate from their own knowledge, enriching everyone else's knowledge. Not just about thermometers though, either.

So may I suggest that there are two reasons to close a topic:

(1) The information is final and conclusive and unlikely to be augmented by anything more useful, and;

(2) The topic became infected with poisonous invective.

Maybe you can think of another?

RN 200717

• Like 1

Posted

Not sure the archiving of a topic that hasn't had a response in 5 years is worthy of a rant, but welcome to the community anyway

To answer your question, old topics without replies for a few years are archived for technical reasons. I'll not bore you with the details, but moving them to a different part of the database makes the live posts part of it more efficient. The process is automatic.

The good news is that topics can easily be unarchived, so please post a link to the one you'd like to post into,and I'll go ahead and do that.

• Like 4