Dublin Apt dullest Julys

2020 (to 26th): 84.1 hrs

1944: 89.9 hrs

1986: 93.4 hrs

2002: 106.8 hrs

1957: 108.7 hrs

1981: 119.8 hrs

Posted

Just under 260 hours here so far. Need about 20 more hours to reach the monthly average, which we should manage. Wholly unremarkable but reading this thread I'm counting my blessings!

July 2013 had nearly 400 hours.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: extremes the unusual and interesting facts
16 minutes ago, AderynCoch said:

Just under 260 hours here so far. Need about 20 more hours to reach the monthly average, which we should manage. Wholly unremarkable but reading this thread I'm counting my blessings!

July 2013 had nearly 400 hours.

Thats rediculous,260 hrs is very close to the record maximum here!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Csa/Csb
8 hours ago, hillbilly said:

Dullest Julys here

1968....92 hrs

1944....100hrs

1965....101hrs

2003....101hrs [isurely that cannot be right]

2010....104 hrs

1920....106 hrs

In London, 15 cloudiest. 2020 might sneak into 15th place.

1965: 130 hrs

1962: 135 hrs

1960: 140 hrs

1978: 142 hrs

1968: 147 hrs

1981: 149 hrs

1972: 151 hrs

1957: 152 hrs

2009: 156 hrs

1992: 159 hrs

2007: 160 hrs

2012: 162 hrs

2010: 162 hrs

1988: 162 hrs

1980: 164 hrs

Edited by B87

Posted

It’s hard to tell because I don’t get sunshine totals till the month end but I wouldn’t say July has been overly dull in my area. We’ve had some dull days but many days have been sunny. Think only about 5 or 6 days have been completely sunless.

Posted

Dismal dismal dismal July for sunshine. Another day with just a chink or two of rays. Keep saying it but must be on course for one of dullest if not the dullest on record here.

Posted

Just checked our nearest official weather station, Reading University - they recorded 202 hours of sunshine in July, which is very slightly above average. Overall a rather cool and dry month with sunshine close to average.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, snowy winters and warm, sunny summers
On 27/07/2020 at 16:30, BruenSryan said:

Dublin Apt dullest Julys

2020 (to 26th): 84.1 hrs

1944: 89.9 hrs

1986: 93.4 hrs

2002: 106.8 hrs

1957: 108.7 hrs

1981: 119.8 hrs

Finished with 102.5 hrs, third dullest on record, following the dullest June since 1993.

Edited by BruenSryan

Posted

London finished with 172 hours. Notably lower than Reading.

Posted
2 hours ago, B87 said:

London finished with 172 hours. Notably lower than Reading.

As has been mentioned many times, since the sensor change in 2006 Heathrow under records sunshine. When the non-provisional reading comes out it'll no doubt be closer to 200hrs like Reading.

• Like 1

Posted
1 hour ago, reef said:

As has been mentioned many times, since the sensor change in 2006 Heathrow under records sunshine. When the non-provisional reading comes out it'll no doubt be closer to 200hrs like Reading.

Does Reading use CS? Most months the values are within 10 hours of each other.

Are the Met Office going to use CS sunshine standards for the 91-20 averages? 

Edited by B87

Posted
9 hours ago, BruenSryan said:

Finished with 102.5 hrs, third dullest on record, following the dullest June since 1993.

Thanks for this statistic, backs up my observations that in the west at least it's been a very very dull July. August has alot of catching up to do.

• Like 2

Posted
7 hours ago, B87 said:

Does Reading use CS? Most months the values are within 10 hours of each other.

Are the Met Office going to use CS sunshine standards for the 91-20 averages? 

Reading's stats come from two sources - a Campbell-Stokes recorder and an electronic sensor (the latter usually reads slightly higher). I thought the 202 hour figure was the final C-S figure but it's been updated to 211.7 (C-S) and 220.8 (electronic) so it must have been missing yesterday's reading. The 81-10 mean is 198 hours and it's now quoted as 107% of average - which means they must be using the Campbell-Stokes as their reference. Anyway, in the end it was a sunnier than average month here.

I had a look at the graphs for Reading for July - the running total for sunshine was a bit below average at the middle of the month and the second half was pretty sunny here.

The monthly stats page is http://www.met.reading.ac.uk/weatherdata/Reading_monthly_summaries.html

Edited by Stargazer

Posted
1 hour ago, Stargazer said:

Reading's stats come from two sources - a Campbell-Stokes recorder and an electronic sensor (the latter usually reads slightly higher). I thought the 202 hour figure was the final C-S figure but it's been updated to 211.7 (C-S) and 220.8 (electronic) so it must have been missing yesterday's reading. The 81-10 mean is 198 hours and it's now quoted as 107% of average - which means they must be using the Campbell-Stokes as their reference. Anyway, in the end it was a sunnier than average month here.

I had a look at the graphs for Reading for July - the running total for sunshine was a bit below average at the middle of the month and the second half was pretty sunny here.

The monthly stats page is http://www.met.reading.ac.uk/weatherdata/Reading_monthly_summaries.html

So the electronic sensor there records slightly higher than the CS, as seen in most parts of the world. That puts the difference in sunshine between Reading and Heathrow even greater (221 vs 171).

Posted

We finished on just 97.5 hours which is a staggering 49% of the 1981-2010 average. That's the first month with less than 50% of normal sunshine since December 2002.

It was also the dullest summer month I've ever recorded (back to 1980), beating the previous holder of June 1987 with 111 hours. Another noteworthy stat is that its the first time any April, May, June, July or August has recorded under 100 hours.

Truly remarkable, for all of the wrong reasons!

• Like 3

Posted

image.png.ac6909a66d5e44c4ceb47899b4f202b7.png

So after some moaning from folk down south it appears that around the London area it was not far from 'normal' !

• Thanks 1

Posted

Country averages for July 2020

UK - 142.4 hrs, dullest since 2012

England - 163.9 hrs, dullest since 2012

Wales - 140.7 hrs, dullest since 2010

Scotland - 136.7 hrs, dullest since 2017

Northern Ireland - 83.0 hrs, second dullest on record (1986 - 82.8 hrs)

Edited by BruenSryan

Posted
4 hours ago, johnholmes said:

image.png.ac6909a66d5e44c4ceb47899b4f202b7.png

So after some moaning from folk down south it appears that around the London area it was not far from 'normal' !

80% of normal is hardly something to be pleased about and if it was not for sunnier days at end it would have gave July 2010 a run for its money. 

Posted
21 hours ago, BruenSryan said:

Country averages for July 2020

UK - 142.4 hrs, dullest since 2012

England - 163.9 hrs, dullest since 2012

Wales - 140.7 hrs, dullest since 2010

Scotland - 136.7 hrs, dullest since 2017

Northern Ireland - 83.0 hrs, second dullest on record (1986 - 82.8 hrs)

1986 must have been something else!

Have barely seen the sun.

August starting worse too.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, convective precipitation, snow, thunderstorms, "episodic" months.
On 03/08/2020 at 11:33, reef said:

We finished on just 97.5 hours which is a staggering 49% of the 1981-2010 average. That's the first month with less than 50% of normal sunshine since December 2002.

It was also the dullest summer month I've ever recorded (back to 1980), beating the previous holder of June 1987 with 111 hours. Another noteworthy stat is that its the first time any April, May, June, July or August has recorded under 100 hours.

Truly remarkable, for all of the wrong reasons!

Your sunshine total of 97.5 hours is also supported by the Met Office map which shows a blob in east Yorkshire with less than 50% of the 1981-2010 average - a staggering anomaly, I am guessing that your area of the country must have contrived to miss out on most or all of any sunnier spells that other parts of the UK had. 

Exeter was in one of the relatively few areas of the UK that managed to reach near-average sunshine levels this month - I recall that there were a fair number of days around midmonth when the Azores High ridged just far north enough to bring dry sunny weather to the far south of England while most of the rest of the country was under thick cloud cover.  Eastern Scotland also didn't do too badly by the looks of it.

Posted
17 hours ago, Thundery wintry showers said:

Your sunshine total of 97.5 hours is also supported by the Met Office map which shows a blob in east Yorkshire with less than 50% of the 1981-2010 average - a staggering anomaly, I am guessing that your area of the country must have contrived to miss out on most or all of any sunnier spells that other parts of the UK had. 

Exeter was in one of the relatively few areas of the UK that managed to reach near-average sunshine levels this month - I recall that there were a fair number of days around midmonth when the Azores High ridged just far north enough to bring dry sunny weather to the far south of England while most of the rest of the country was under thick cloud cover.  Eastern Scotland also didn't do too badly by the looks of it.

Indeed, we are just on the edge of that blob too. Leconfield 7 miles away managed just 73.8 hours all month!

What's astounding about that 97hrs figure is that January and February this year were nearly as sunny with 85hrs and 89hrs.

June and July 2020, the two months of the year with the most light had a combined total of 279hrs, only 30 hours more than Winter 2019/20.

• 3 weeks later...
Posted

It looks like August is following on from July as being exceptionally dull. Up to this point in the month we're on 100.1hrs.

For us, summer as a whole is still 34 hours below the lowest on record in the last 40 years (1987) and 65 hours below summer 2012.

Posted

Similar in Dublin with around less than 70 hrs of sun as of August 21st. Need more than 73 hrs of sunshine during the last week of August for this summer to be a non-record dull one and I have a feeling that's not going to be achieved. Most summers have had an ok to decent month with reasonable amounts of sun for standards here but each of the months have been very poor in 2020.

Edited by BruenSryan