Cold?
Local
Radar
Snow?

Autumn 2020 - Moans, Ramps & Chat

37 minutes ago, Summer of 95 said:

Temperature by day seems to have been 12C, give or take 2 or 3, for weeks on end now. Seemed chilly at the end of Sept and beginning of Oct, seems mild in mid November. No warmth in October (hardly ever got above 16C) and a real lack of cold nights too, even that high pressure early in the month only gave one cold clear night. Very uninspiring, though not as unpleasant as 12 months ago when it rained almost. nonstop from about 22 Sep till the end of Nov.

Cold, frosty, sunny high would be nice now- snow would be too but its unrealistic to expect it this early every autumn. November can be so grim with its 4pm sunsets when we just get cloudy mild damp stuff all the time.

November hands down is the most miserable month of the year. 

• Like 2
  • Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I'd hate to be a thermostat, in a house shared by @markyo and @Azazel!

Today I spent a lot of time studying IOD. I was working out the relationship between IOD, ENSO and MJO.  There is a connnection between IOD and ENSO, mostly during strong events. During weak La Nina I

I've lost my excitement for the heat this year. Not looking forward to the +30°c later this week. I find myself daydreaming about eating toffee apples in the evening while wrapped up snug in temp

Posted Images

Yes Autumn 2020 started off well but has turned into a very drab one with the exception of last week. Even the foliage hasn't been very vibrant although most of us knew it wouldn't be great given the dry spring, topsy turvy summer and cyclonic conditions in October!

If you had to ask me what is my 'least favourite' time of year it would be late November early December. Mainly because the colours have gone, as dark as January and not yet into cold season. 

Oh yeah and premature Christmas themed media, love Christmas but not in the mood for jingle bells on the 17th November!

Enjoy your evenings all, I'll be watching famous people having a hard time with cockroachs in North Wales later!

• Like 1

Days like today and I can see why people venture to sunnier climes in the November - March period. What a miserable grey day,  if a day could be used to describe 2020 in the main it would be today.

• Like 1

Agree with others about November onwards being drab; were I live the colours have been quite nice and have added some colour to the gloom. Sadly, with the last winds most of the leaves have gone, and bare branches are left. Now the run in to the 'winter' with probable mild, grey, wet & windy nothingness.....

I seem to be in the minority here but I love this time of year. The dark nights, the looking forward to Christmas and the hopes, often dashed, of some proper cold winter weather to come.

If we lived in a place where a cold winter was almost guaranteed we wouldn't enjoy the thrill of the chase or the joy of when proper winter weather does arrive.

Edited by John88B

It has been an exceptionally mild first 18 days of November for us. Our current mean of 10.2C is 0.5C higher than the record mildest of 9.7C in 1994 and there isnt looking like much in the way of cold weather on the horizon. Even Friday's 'snap' is barely a ground frost for us now.

On 18/11/2020 at 06:10, John88B said:

I seem to be in the minority here but I love this time of year. The dark nights, the looking forward to Christmas and the hopes, often dashed, of some proper cold winter weather to come.

If we lived in a place where a cold winter was almost guaranteed we wouldn't enjoy the thrill of the chase or the joy of when proper winter weather does arrive.

Don’t know about you or anyone else, but I much prefer the cold weather when it’s actually here than the chase for it and it repeatedly not arriving. 

• Like 1

Hooray, sunshine in the sky! A nice day for once. Cold feeling, max 7 degrees, temps will drop suddenly at dusk, but pick up through late evening, so a frost seems unlikely, places further east should see one as skies stay clearer for longer. Back to the grey and rain tomorrow..

This settles it, we are pretty much guaranteed a very severe winter, since the elfstedentocht (eleven cities tour), an ice skating event in the Netherlands only possible in the most severe winters last held in 1997 and only held 15 times since 1909 is already canceled (because covid)

Edited by ArHu3
  • Like 1

I too enjoy the build up to Christmas, although these days it seems to be an anti-climax when it arrives, because it is a long build up, then over in the blink of an eye. The last six weeks of weather have been miserable, October was like last year another claggy rain-fest, we've had one week of anticyclonic weather in November with a bit of sun then back to the lights on all day weather. For maximum annoyance, the weekends over the last five or six weeks have tended to be wet, so it is has been difficult to do any autumn work on my allotment, the clay soil gets sodden when nearly every day has some rain.

The thrill of the chase for proper winter weather in this country is like watching a Bond film for the 50th time. There are some momentary exciting twists and turns, but we all know what's going to happen in the end.

• Like 1

RAMP! Seems there is some interest in the charts on the mod forum (94 viewing now), really hope it continues with more hints at proper cold. 

We plan to put Christmas decorations up next (for kids sake of course...) really hoping the weather sort of...follows!  Do not want the bore fest of previous years ❄️

Edited by Barometer Cat
  • Like 1

Wow probably entering December wiithout raging Zonality,its been a while.

Perhaps we might have a normal Winter this year with one decent cold-snap.Not asking for much

• Like 1

Thrill of the chase? More like a Goose Chase! Give me guaranteed snow and frost any day rather than the drab mild of a typical 21st century UK winter.

Andy

• Like 2
14 hours ago, Barometer Cat said:

RAMP! Seems there is some interest in the charts on the mod forum (94 viewing now), really hope it continues with more hints at proper cold. 

We plan to put Christmas decorations up next (for kids sake of course...) really hoping the weather sort of...follows!  Do not want the bore fest of previous years ❄️

.....like this?

h500slp.thumb.png.69a21948465b5e77a1c6048b1bf7e1cb.png

(I must not look at the charts at anything +T84 lol)

• Like 1

Yes - agreed in a bonkers sort of way.

1 hour ago, Iceaxecrampon said:

.....like this?

h500slp.thumb.png.69a21948465b5e77a1c6048b1bf7e1cb.png

(I must not look at the charts at anything +T84 lol)

Exactly that sort of thing!   😲  Now would that be a fabled channel low?

• Like 1
WWW.THEWEATHERNETWORK.COM

Find the most current and reliable 14 day weather forecasts, storm alerts, reports and information for Shenfield, UK with The...

Weather for me in the next two weeks - not sure how accurate the site is, but if its right, 1st of December will be a very cold day with a high of 3C and a low of 2C. Hoping something like November/early december 2017 - beast from the east will come off