Jump to content

Autumn 2020 - Moans, Ramps & Chat


Recommended Posts

Loving this weather, so much more comfortable than recently, still shorts and a t shirt with a hoodie but certainly not cold by any means. Windows open mean a lovely fresh breeze in the house as well!

Edited by markyo
  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Today I spent a lot of time studying IOD. I was working out the relationship between IOD, ENSO and MJO.  There is a connnection between IOD and ENSO, mostly during strong events. During weak La Nina I

I'd hate to be a thermostat, in a house shared by @markyo and @Azazel!

I take it from reading some of the comments on here that I’m not allowed to look forward to, or comment about the signs of autumn in the autumn thread??  I could understand if the post I made this

Posted Images

56 minutes ago, markyo said:

Loving this weather, so much more comfortable than recently, still shorts and a t shirt with a hoodie but certainly not cold by any means. Windows open mean a lovely fresh breeze in the house as well!

How many times do we need to hear the same thing from you? Lol

‘Windows are open, I’m still wearing shorts, lovely and fresh, so much more comfortable than recently’ 

Its almost like a checklist to be proud of.

Heres mine:

Heating on, windows closed after a few hours, fleece on, tracksuit bottoms on.

Shorts back in the wardrobe until next April or May. 
 

 

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites

I’m not a fan of premature cold but today’s combination of cold feel and sparkling sunshine is just what I love later in the season, so it was almost like I’d been transported a month onwards...

Today actually reminded me of many winter days living in Madrid. Mid teens and sunny but a fresh wind at times.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
48 minutes ago, I remember Atlantic 252 said:

3 months from now, I reckon warmer especially at night when the SW'ly is raging

Probably!!

Link to post
Share on other sites

00z ECM run gave lots of lovely autumn rain for me, 12z still interesting but less so. We had a lovely settled period of warm sunshine leading up to the Tuesday just gone, but now I'm fully in the mood for Gales and downpours. 

I've said it every year since, but hopefully this winter is like 2013/14, with a constant battering of deep lows right over the South.

Edited by Lance M
  • Like 4
  • Sad 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, AWD said:

Just put the heating on.  I can't remember the last time I went ahead and put the heating on in September!

After spending a week away in Snowdonia, I returned home to the heating on.  When I left, we were still in the depths of summer.....

Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, Sunny76 said:

How many times do we need to hear the same thing from you? Lol

‘Windows are open, I’m still wearing shorts, lovely and fresh, so much more comfortable than recently’ 

Its almost like a checklist to be proud of.

Heres mine:

Heating on, windows closed after a few hours, fleece on, tracksuit bottoms on.

Shorts back in the wardrobe until next April or May. 
 

 

Sorry, forgot to put 2 fans on as well to my checklist....Your getting very good at this Trolling by the way!

I'm starting to get a hint that we may have different preferences when it comes to the weather we like!

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, mb018538 said:

Another terrible September day again. 11c, cloudy and strong winds. Very bad.

Terrible September?...well Cambridge isn't too far from the south east corner of the country (if not in it) and until the last few days September has been good, dry and certainly warm, so terrible?

Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, Froze were the Days said:

Terrible September?...well Cambridge isn't too far from the south east corner of the country (if not in it) and until the last few days September has been good, dry and certainly warm, so terrible?

Terrible September DAY... not the whole month. Big difference.

Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, MP-R said:

Terrible September DAY... not the whole month. Big difference.

Thank you....the dangers of being misquoted! I said terrible day. We’ve had 5 absolute stinkers in a row now. Rest of the month has been decent of course, just a big drop that has been sustained!

Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, mb018538 said:

Thank you....the dangers of being misquoted! I said terrible day. We’ve had 5 absolute stinkers in a row now. Rest of the month has been decent of course, just a big drop that has been sustained!

Yeah sorry...agree, pretty woeful. Infact the last couple of days have been more akin to late November. Only a week or so ago 25c quite widely in the south east!

Link to post
Share on other sites

Another frigid September day, (yes its not that cold but for september and southeastern england it is and is especially so when you factor in the wind). Looking like a cool start to october too. The CET is coming right down. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, Lance M said:

00z ECM run gave lots of lovely autumn rain for me, 12z still interesting but less so. We had a lovely settled period of warm sunshine leading up to the Tuesday just gone, but now I'm fully in the mood for Gales and downpours. 

I've said it every year since, but hopefully this winter is like 2013/14, with a constant battering of deep lows right over the South.

Yes definitely.. if we can't get a cold snowy winter then give me a 13/14 or an 89/90 winter instead.. between now and next march stormy is indeed very seasonal.

Hope the rest of the autumn follows suit.  An October like 2000 and november like 2009 will do nicely

Note I wouldn't want to see people experiencing flooding issues, but I just appreciate this kind of weather

Edited by SummerShower
  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, SummerShower said:

Yes definitely.. if we can't get a cold snowy winter then give me a 13/14 or an 89/90 winter instead.. between now and next march stormy is indeed very seasonal.

Hope the rest of the autumn follows suit.  An October like 2000 and november like 2009 will do nicely

Note I wouldn't want to see people experiencing flooding issues, but I just appreciate this kind of weather

I would prefer a dry winter, even if it ends up being mild. Weeks of rain, with 2 or 3 days a week of rain and wind is a little depressing. It stops you from going outdoors, whereas dry and cold, or dry and mild doesn’t hamper outdoor activities as much. 
 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

I dont mind anything but stormy winds, that is the worst weather this country throws at us. Just not fun at all - 13/14 was absolutely awful

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 28/09/2020 at 15:55, Josh Rubio said:

We aren’t expecting anything like the devastation the flooding caused in 2015 across West Yorkshire, are we?

Not at the moment, as it’s been very dry this month so far. If this pattern set in for an extended period then who knows. There may be some flooding issues in the next week, but I don’t think we’re looking at another Calder Valley disaster at the moment.

Link to post
Share on other sites

image.thumb.png.c6a919cea120174e2d2e61896ac6387f.png

Some of the maxima my area has seen in the last few days (12C) and will see later this week would be typical of November, never mind late September and early October! Not really that cold over night, but still its looking like a much colder outlook. I thought it would be a mild month.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...