IGNORED

Autumn 2020 - Moans, Ramps & Chat

Posted
30 minutes ago, qwertyK said:

GFS is now only showing Monday with 27C, other days seem basically average

Brrrr...  

Posted
2 hours ago, sundog said:

Gfs pushes that warmth away on Tues, thankfully,though of  course the warmth could last longer.I say thankfully because I want autumn weather. Perhaps 'victory' in this instance for autumn lovers......

Wouldn't want to claim that one too soon, still nearly a week away and the models have been flip flopping all over the place. A week ago we were being told of a cool and unsettled month. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heat, sun and thunderstorms in summer. Cold sunny days and snow in winter

Even though it is still early days, I have a strong feeling that this is going to be a fairly high pressure dominated month, very similar to September 2014. If that's the case then we will likely see our first air frost of the season later on in the month. Possibly ground frost up Scotland.

Edited by Weather Enthusiast91

Posted
58 minutes ago, Weather Enthusiast91 said:

Even though it is still early days, I have a strong feeling that this is going to be a fairly high pressure dominated month, very similar to September 2014. If that's the case then we will likely see our first air frost of the season later on in the month. Possibly ground frost up Scotland.

A September similar to 2009 would be pleasant enough.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: In summer, a decent thunderstorm, and hot weather. In winter, snow or gale
1 hour ago, Weather Enthusiast91 said:

September 2014 would be a great month to have repeated.  some good thunderstorms that month but apart from that it was bone dry (only May this year drier on EWP in last decade) and very sunny too 

Edited by SummerShower
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Continental winters & summers.

Thinking back to almost completely high pressure dominated Septembers...

2003... 6 years.... 2009.... 5 years... 2014.... 6 years.... 2020? 

I wont pre empt anything as it’s a tall order getting settled second halves but an anticyclonic is due.

• Like 1

Posted

2020 so far has been very like 1990. Jan-Feb 90 was very mild, we had a warm March, warm spells in May. The summer CET has been same as 1990. Aug 90 was one of the warmest just like this year. Strong strong parallels. Autumn 90 was fairly average, became chilly later November. 

• Like 1

Posted

26C and cloudless here today. The forecast is splendid indeed - high 20s right up to day ten. There's a good chance of surpassing 30C on Monday and Tuesday.

Only problem is those blasted mosquitoes - eaten alive again today in the forest. The local council sprayed the streets a couple of weeks back but it's made negligible difference. Looks like they're going to be a problem for a while yet. 

Sunset over Vienna:

IMG_20200909_191413.thumb.jpg.c56f8ef67bbc2268b7a554bfaed1eac5.jpg

Edited by AderynCoch
  • Like 2

Posted
8 hours ago, damianslaw said:

2020 so far has been very like 1990. Jan-Feb 90 was very mild, we had a warm March, warm spells in May. The summer CET has been same as 1990. Aug 90 was one of the warmest just like this year. Strong strong parallels. Autumn 90 was fairly average, became chilly later November. 

No, the summer of 1990 was much better. I don’t remember March being that warm this year either. It was sunny towards the end, but remember some chilly days by March standards. 

I think you are right about the coming autumn winter season though. We are due a colder one.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer > Spring > Winter > Autumn :-)
1 minute ago, Sunny76 said:

No, the summer of 1990 was much better. I don’t remember March being that warm this year either. It was sunny towards the end, but remember some chilly days by March standards. 

I think you are right about the coming autumn winter season though. We are due a colder one.

September doesn't look like playing ball on that front......my CET guess could be a bit low at this rate!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Csa/Csb
6 hours ago, Sunny76 said:

Summer 1990 was actually sunny.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Basically intresting weather,cold,windy you name it

Lovely Autumns day, nice and fresh this morning, warming to a very pleasant temp later, not cold but not overly warm, just right. Start of next week though looks decidedly unseasonable again sadly. Thankfully it won't hang around to long, fingers crossed 2nd half of this month will bring something more akin to a Autumn season for once.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and dry, thunderstorms, mild temps (13-22°C).

Cold, nuclear winter-overcast wintry rubbish today, thank goodness for next week. Very pleasing to see it getting extended a bit in today's runs as well, hoping the trend continues. :oldgood:

Edited by Thundershine

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Basically intresting weather,cold,windy you name it
23 minutes ago, Thundershine said:

nuclear winter-overcast wintry rubbish today,

Oh lord.....that is funny

Posted

I

On 09/09/2020 at 17:01, Weather Enthusiast91 said:

Can't see it somehow given we will nearly have 30c next week, but maybe you'll be right, also if the HP continues into october we could see it then

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer > Spring > Winter > Autumn :-)
1 minute ago, Alderc said:

As expected the early week heatwave capitulates on the GFS 12Z towards the end of the week. Perfect timing for my golf weekend.....

It wasn’t ever forecast to be a long lasting one though?

2 minutes ago, mb018538 said:

It wasn’t ever forecast to be a long lasting one though?

I know, but its always the timing, our stupid climate always seems to rub it, 'here's what you could of had' We'll probably end up under a 950mb extra-tropical storm next Fri-Sun.....

Posted
15 hours ago, Sunny76 said:

Just quoting the mean CET values being the same. Summer 1990 was much better on the sunshine and rainfall stakes, and second half of July much much warmer. March this year did bring a very dry warm second half with some cold nights, March 1990 however was mild throughout. Probably closest match this year overall so far.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot, dry & sunny

Very warm/hot weather firmed up for next week IMBY, along with warm nights for September 

I've finally caved in and bought a portable air conditioning unit (Just wish I bought it a few months ago!!). So no more summer moans from me - roll on the heatwaves.. 

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heat, sun and thunderstorms in summer. Cold sunny days and snow in winter

I know that we are only in early autumn, but I do hope proper autumnal weather will begin to take hold shortly. And I mean proper weather though, not like that boring rubbish we had in July (which was supposed to be high summer anyway). Whilst I don't at all mind heatwaves, seeing as we are now in September I hope that will be the last bout of warm weather until next spring (just like I expect more springlike weather to begin taking hold from mid March).

Roll on that first frost and the cool misty and sunny mornings. 

Edited by Weather Enthusiast91
  • Like 1

Posted
1 hour ago, Weather Enthusiast91 said:

I know that we are only in early autumn, but I do hope proper autumnal weather will begin to take hold shortly. And I mean proper weather though, not like that boring rubbish we had in July (which was supposed to be high summer anyway). Whilst I don't at all mind heatwaves, seeing as we are now in September I hope that will be the last bout of warm weather until next spring (just like I expect more springlike weather to begin taking hold from mid March).

Roll on that first frost and the cool misty and sunny mornings. 

I think this will be the last few really warm days until next April. 

October can be nice, but by then a 21c type day won’t feel as warm. Nights are usually cold even when we’ve had a warm spell in October. 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Location: Ashbourne,County Meath,about 6 miles northwest of dublin airport. 74m ASL
  • Weather Preferences: Cold weather - frost or snow
  • Location: Ashbourne,County Meath,about 6 miles northwest of dublin airport. 74m ASL
48 minutes ago, Don said:

I'm not liking the way this September is shaping up with an extension of summer!  I won't say why!

I know your reason why. Warm Septembers in recent times dont have a good correlation with getting a decent winter. Whatever chance we have with cool Septembers,warm Septembers are definitely not a good pointer to a decent winter ,not nowadays anyway. 

• Like 1