Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Autumn 2020 - Moans, Ramps & Chat

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Continental winters & summers.

I really can't think of much to recommend this autumn. Really only the abnormally settled spell in September that brought a late burst of summer warmth, an instance of thunder in late October, and gales abruptly followed by a welcome sunny frosty spell in the first of November are of note. With five more days to go, the depth of frost and extent of fog will determine how notable the spell is. Otherwise very mundane. In recent times, the end of November and early December 2016 brought a spell of very cold nights and fog during the day.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heat, sun and thunderstorms in summer. Cold sunny days and snow in winter

I can honestly say that this has been one of the most, if not the most monotonous autumns throughout my lifetime. It is currently -1C where I am right now along with some frost INMBY and top temps will be around 5 to 9 Celsius for the last days of November which is a good thing, but that isn't enough to save this season of essentially nothingness. Apart from the first couple of days in October, there has been nothing noteworthy. 

Edited by Weather Enthusiast91
  • Like 3

Posted

Apart from the unbelievable storm on the 24th September, this autumn has been a complete borefest. Apart from the really wet day on the 1st October I can’t think of anything since.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Thunderstorms, Severe Gales, Hot & Sunny or Cold & Sunny!
11 hours ago, topo said:

A very warm November in Scandinavia, possibly one of the warmest ever.

The first week of December seems also warmer than normal with southern winds AGAIN!!

I can't remember the last time of northern winds here.

All in all, last year's tragedy continues...

If I was you I’d look for a move further North...Northern Finland for example. :santa-emoji:

Proper late Autumn/Winter weather - lovely outlook as well!

49DF3F77-BB97-495E-814C-CBC7E24C3219.thumb.png.c7e95b1b64828bbd088e3ae479b65d4d.png

Once again...all together now... Jingle bells...Jingle bells...jingle all the way...:snowman-emoji::reindeer-emoji:⛄

• Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winter, warm/hot summer with the odd storm thrown in

I can’t really think of anything interesting at all that’s happened here this autumn. Only managed a single ground frost so far let alone any air frosts. Most of the time it’s just been dull and damp over and over again. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, snowy winters and warm, sunny summers

September and October were nice months in Dublin but not months I'll look back on and say, I wish I could repeat them. November has been rubbish as it usually is, less "dire" than November 2018 and especially 2019 but extremely boring. That sets the tone for this autumn to echo what some others have said. Definitely one of the most monotone seasons I have seen and up there with Winter 2016-17 or Dec 2018/Jan 2019 period. 

Posted

It's been a decent November here. Not a classic but much better than last year's bland mildfest. A general cooling trend since the start of the month this time round, interrupted by just a mild blip mid-month. The weather now is very lugubrious - cold and grey with foggy mornings and murky afternoons not much above zero. No snow yet but that may be about to change in the coming days if the forecast is accurate. 

It's also been a dry month (about an inch of rain so far), which has been most welcome because October was far too wet. 

Posted

Did a timelapse overnight and saw something odd happening in the clouds, holes that appeared almost like a whirlpool developing in a river, The clouds seem to rotate around a hole, seems most notable between 22.45pm and 2am. Any ideas would have cause this?

• Like 1

Posted
  • Location: Leeds/Bradford border, 185 metres above sea level, around 600 feet
  • Location: Leeds/Bradford border, 185 metres above sea level, around 600 feet

I tend to agree with the sentiment that despite how the November CET may skew things and cause people to imagine hair drier south westerlies, the prevailing memory of this Autumn is that it has been largely forgettable and boring but with a few cold and sunny weeks thrown in. It's even hard to remember the wet opening to October because memory takes you back to last year when the fronts were more frequent. 

• Like 2

Posted

Morning all

i have to get this off my chest and my not so much a moan but more an observation is the yearly winter enthusiast in regards to snow fall.

Every year for the last ten or so I have been on this site frustrate me immensely by stating the obvious, what I mean by this are comments like the uk will see snow only to be followed up with Scotland, higher parts of the NW etc etc. 

personally I can’t get excited like some on here if snow is forecast where generally this is a given every winter. I live in one of the lowest elevations in the country here in the fens. Now if the models started to produce charts (like in 2010) for snow in the areas we don’t see it on a regular basis then I could get excited as would many of us on here.

So please a plea from me look for signals of widespread snow that could impact the country, this would be newsworthy not snow at the top of a mountain where no one lives and has little impact unless your a skier.

LO

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything below 0c or above 20c. Also love a good thunderstorm!
2 hours ago, Lincs Observation said:

Morning all

i have to get this off my chest and my not so much a moan but more an observation is the yearly winter enthusiast in regards to snow fall.

Every year for the last ten or so I have been on this site frustrate me immensely by stating the obvious, what I mean by this are comments like the uk will see snow only to be followed up with Scotland, higher parts of the NW etc etc. 

personally I can’t get excited like some on here if snow is forecast where generally this is a given every winter. I live in one of the lowest elevations in the country here in the fens. Now if the models started to produce charts (like in 2010) for snow in the areas we don’t see it on a regular basis then I could get excited as would many of us on here.

So please a plea from me look for signals of widespread snow that could impact the country, this would be newsworthy not snow at the top of a mountain where no one lives and has little impact unless your a skier.

LO

Good morning,

Yes I'm probably in a similar camp where I posted a while ago how winters are becoming the UKs 'worst' season for seasonal weather. Summers are becoming the season to look out for seasonal weather! (especially in the South and East)

With regards to Autumn 2020: boring... No real change of weather from end of September as it started off colder than average transitioning to warmer than average as the season went on. Very dull too although today the sun is out!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything below 0c or above 20c. Also love a good thunderstorm!

Correction: Astronmical Autumn started off colder than average. Meteorological Autumn started off with a hot spell early September

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow (Mostly)

Longtime lurker.  Interesting start for December and Winter is charts like this keep showing....yes it's the GFS and yes it's at 159.. does getting a little bit excited jinx things?

image.thumb.png.c45475438c1029281bc87ada0fbc8daa.pngimage.thumb.png.8859a7ae68c34d5601f486c1846545a2.png

No matter what, end of next week might be interesting.  Keep thinking positive thoughts..

❄️

Posted
4 hours ago, Lincs Observation said:

Morning all

LO

Turns out ive been a member of this site for 16 years who knew, and boy have we seen some weather in that time.

LO

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Misty Autumn Mornings, Thunderstorms and snow

It's been the dullest November I can remember for many a long year here. Two weekends ago it was just dreadful, wet, dark all day Saturday and Sunday wasn't much better. This last week bar Thursday was just as bad. 

Posted

Just started sleeting here. I'm not sure if it will amount to something more substantial overnight.

Thursday is looking good for snow here. Unfortunately the models want to make me pay for it by introducing mildness in the following days. I really hope that gets watered down - I'm just getting into the Christmas mood. 

Edited by AderynCoch
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything non-disruptive, and some variety

The only good thing about November is it hasn't been as wet as October, but I can't remember a two month period where I've had to have the lights on indoors all day so many times. Oh hang on, yes I do, it was last autumn.

It has been an odd month, the frequent, almost persistent overcast has kept the overnight temperatures elevated, sometimes to the point where there is only a 2-3 degree variation between the max and the min. It has been a month to endure and just get through, at least I will enjoy some of the Christmas festivities in December no matter what the weather does.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Foggy autumn days are the best! Although I does enjoy a good thunderstorm.

Hello everyone, thought I'd just pop in to say farewell to autumn 2020.
I know it seems strange that the autumn lover here just disappeared back in August, but I hold my hands up... Having sadly lost my Dad back in April, (nothing to do Covid) and my Mum not being well, and so having to look after her; lets just say that I wasn't in a good headspace and decided to take a bit of a social media break.

Anywhoo... Enough of my problems... So here we are in the final few hours of autumn 2020... To be fair, and from a personal perspective it hasn't been a bad autumn. 

September gave us that last taste of summer which I always like. 

October, although it started off a bit wetter than I'd have liked, was pretty much spot on for me, plus there were some absolutely stunning autumn colours on the trees this year. 

November has been a right ole misty foggy month.  Now I know lots of you see this on a regular basis, (or not see as the case may be) but where I live mist and fog can be hit and miss... But with having lost my Dad earlier this year for some reason I have found the dull, grey foggy days really rather comforting... If that makes any sense? ?️?️?️

So from me, farewell autumn 2020, you will be missed... Or should that be mist? 

• Like 1

Posted

Goodbye Autumn 2020, weatherwise can't say it is likely to leave a mark, what an uninspiring season, but perhaps a saving grace given all the other issues going on.  Highlight probably end September and early October, chilly with lengthy sunny dry periods and early frost. The period from mid October until late November very tedious and exceptionally dull. Thankfully we've been spared much in the way of excessive rain, its been a wet autumn, but no major flooding or rainfall events. Once again though very little in the way of storms or gales, absolutely nothing.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and Snow -20 would be nice :)

Just a ramp that’s all

5071F3D2-4295-4CD5-9194-498461FB66BA.thumb.png.02e10db125d88820e7eb9a928f818ee0.png

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Spanish plumes & stormy winters. Facebook @ Lance's Lightning Shots
33 minutes ago, Dancerwithwings said:

Just a ramp that’s all

5071F3D2-4295-4CD5-9194-498461FB66BA.thumb.png.02e10db125d88820e7eb9a928f818ee0.png

Not my cup of tea! The model thread is all very alien to me with all the wishing for cold and snow at the moment, I can't think of anything I'd want less during these times when a holiday in the warmth and sunshine is further away than ever due to the pandemic!

• Like 1