Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Autumn 2020 - Moans, Ramps & Chat

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extremes

I seem to be in the minority here but I love this time of year. The dark nights, the looking forward to Christmas and the hopes, often dashed, of some proper cold winter weather to come.

If we lived in a place where a cold winter was almost guaranteed we wouldn't enjoy the thrill of the chase or the joy of when proper winter weather does arrive.

Edited by John88B

Posted

It has been an exceptionally mild first 18 days of November for us. Our current mean of 10.2C is 0.5C higher than the record mildest of 9.7C in 1994 and there isnt looking like much in the way of cold weather on the horizon. Even Friday's 'snap' is barely a ground frost for us now.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!

Don't care about named storms, or whatever, this is the wettest setup for my location, like storm Alex, the 2 days after were wetter with NW'ly flow

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Continental winters & summers.
On 18/11/2020 at 06:10, John88B said:

I seem to be in the minority here but I love this time of year. The dark nights, the looking forward to Christmas and the hopes, often dashed, of some proper cold winter weather to come.

If we lived in a place where a cold winter was almost guaranteed we wouldn't enjoy the thrill of the chase or the joy of when proper winter weather does arrive.

Don’t know about you or anyone else, but I much prefer the cold weather when it’s actually here than the chase for it and it repeatedly not arriving. 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: T storms, severe gales, heat and sun, cold and snow

It’s 11c here, some cold day this...

Posted

Hooray, sunshine in the sky! A nice day for once. Cold feeling, max 7 degrees, temps will drop suddenly at dusk, but pick up through late evening, so a frost seems unlikely, places further east should see one as skies stay clearer for longer. Back to the grey and rain tomorrow..

Posted
This settles it, we are pretty much guaranteed a very severe winter, since the elfstedentocht (eleven cities tour), an ice skating event in the Netherlands only possible in the most severe winters last held in 1997 and only held 15 times since 1909 is already canceled (because covid)

Edited by ArHu3
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winter, warm/hot summer with the odd storm thrown in

Was nice to see the sun today for the first time in just over a week.

Edited by matt111

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything non-disruptive, and some variety

I too enjoy the build up to Christmas, although these days it seems to be an anti-climax when it arrives, because it is a long build up, then over in the blink of an eye. The last six weeks of weather have been miserable, October was like last year another claggy rain-fest, we've had one week of anticyclonic weather in November with a bit of sun then back to the lights on all day weather. For maximum annoyance, the weekends over the last five or six weeks have tended to be wet, so it is has been difficult to do any autumn work on my allotment, the clay soil gets sodden when nearly every day has some rain.

The thrill of the chase for proper winter weather in this country is like watching a Bond film for the 50th time. There are some momentary exciting twists and turns, but we all know what's going to happen in the end.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow (Mostly)

RAMP! Seems there is some interest in the charts on the mod forum (94 viewing now), really hope it continues with more hints at proper cold. 

We plan to put Christmas decorations up next (for kids sake of course...) really hoping the weather sort of...follows!  Do not want the bore fest of previous years ⛄❄️

Edited by Barometer Cat
  • Like 1

Posted

Wow probably entering December wiithout raging Zonality,its been a while.

Perhaps we might have a normal Winter this year with one decent cold-snap.Not asking for much

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, snowy winters and warm sunny summers

Thrill of the chase? More like a Goose Chase! Give me guaranteed snow and frost any day rather than the drab mild of a typical 21st century UK winter.

Andy

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: LP - Horizontal Drizzle - Nice Blizzards
14 hours ago, Barometer Cat said:

RAMP! Seems there is some interest in the charts on the mod forum (94 viewing now), really hope it continues with more hints at proper cold. 

We plan to put Christmas decorations up next (for kids sake of course...) really hoping the weather sort of...follows!  Do not want the bore fest of previous years ⛄❄️

.....like this?

h500slp.thumb.png.69a21948465b5e77a1c6048b1bf7e1cb.png

(I must not look at the charts at anything +T84 lol)

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: LP - Horizontal Drizzle - Nice Blizzards

Yes - agreed in a bonkers sort of way.

Posted
1 hour ago, Iceaxecrampon said:

.....like this?

h500slp.thumb.png.69a21948465b5e77a1c6048b1bf7e1cb.png

(I must not look at the charts at anything +T84 lol)

Exactly that sort of thing!     Now would that be a fabled channel low?

• Like 1

Posted

A nice, crisp morning today in Essex, didn't expect frost as low last night was forecasted as 2C, but around 1C when I woke up. Cloudy now though. 

Posted

Ramp it up....Dare to dream!!  +159  a week away.  

image.thumb.png.039fcc1308bcbde3f7b8c5c291f23676.png

Posted
WWW.THEWEATHERNETWORK.COM

Find the most current and reliable 14 day weather forecasts, storm alerts, reports and information for Shenfield, UK with The...

Weather for me in the next two weeks - not sure how accurate the site is, but if its right, 1st of December will be a very cold day with a high of 3C and a low of 2C. Hoping something like November/early december 2017 - beast from the east will come off

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot, dry & sunny

Very much average weather coming up IMBY, highs of 7-9 degrees are nothing to shout about. But better than wind and rain I suppose. 

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, snow and more snow!

A very warm November in Scandinavia, possibly one of the warmest ever.

The first week of December seems also warmer than normal with southern winds AGAIN!!

I can't remember the last time of northern winds here.

All in all, last year's tragedy continues...

• Like 1

Posted

Another Autumn about to pass by, cant say it's been very memorable weatherwise, little storm activity, indeed no gales of note. Often wet, with a bit of localised flooding but thankfully spared anything significant. Very dull and mild second half cancelled out by a sunnier cooler first half.

November has been very tedious, it is though about to end on a more seasonal note. What a drab November in the main for lots of reasons, good riddance to it!

• Like 4