Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Autumn 2020 - Moans, Ramps & Chat

Posted
4 hours ago, qwertyK said:

Highs of just 10C here today, albeit minima at 8, one of the coldest October days here and definitely the coldest for this early in October. .

Yes, definitely a cold feeling day and not felt this cold since possibly March.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer > Spring > Winter > Autumn :-)

Seems like everyone is really enjoying this interesting weather....or not. Nothing fun about 100mm of rain in 2-3 days.

Posted

Friday was the sort of active/stormy/mobile weather I like.

A wet & windy start.. I went to Berry Head and had torrential showers and gales at first, however these cleared to some blue skies and good cloudscapes while it stayed windy. I had an enjoyable walk in those conditions and stormy seas are always fun to watch too.

PA031347.thumb.JPG.c195f430c0deb514e6ea5ccd114fc104.JPGPA031415.thumb.JPG.32fbf0f0b5c4c2cac7dc9f323f9b1ee5.JPGPA031475.thumb.JPG.918aed8b95bcaf5a4024b0f026d80110.JPGPA031467.thumb.JPG.92f9b80e3fc7162dc88838e269a20a3e.JPG

Got home to a pleasant afternoon, with sunny spells and light winds. The countryside looked great in the sun and clear visibility with a backdrop of dark based cumulus. Then a few intense showers formed to my south lit up in the evening light.

Basically a lot of weather happened in a day.

In contrast, yesterday and today show the opposite side of low pressure. Dull with light/moderate rain all day. Don't think I enjoy that any more than most people.

It's the 'everything but the kitchen sink' style of Atlantic weather I like, not slow moving fronts with cloud & rain all day

Edited by Evening thunder
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: In summer, a decent thunderstorm, and hot weather. In winter, snow or gale
1 hour ago, mb018538 said:

Seems like everyone is really enjoying this interesting weather....or not. Nothing fun about 100mm of rain in 2-3 days.

I'm enjoying it for the rarity.  Local stations are just shy of 100mm since Thursday evening now.  I cannot remember this much rain before.. there was a period in November 2003 that came close. 

It's not too unusual to get say 40-50mm in 1 day from a single event in lowland southern England, I just dont remember so much over 2 to 3 days, it's just so rare.

Glad that we might get some actual sunshine tomorrow though!

Posted

I don't mind the rain, because September here was very dry. Rain is okay in autumn. BBC and met office outlook suggesting outbreaks of what the bbc calls "a short-lived very cold northerly plunge, with widespread night frosts and even some sleet and snow showers". Maybe we will have a cold winter for once. Autumn is certainly shaping up nicely. I thought september would be a very warm month, but the cold at the end cancelled out the heat mid month and its marginally above average. 

Edited by qwertyK
  • Like 2

Posted

A bit off topic but I have it on good authority that the Met Office are secretly investing in a new £10B system... 

Rumour has it that it's based on MS Excel and one of these bad boys... 

https://www.aldi.co.uk/horizontal-lcd-weather-station/p/092596019979801

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winter, warm/hot summer with the odd storm thrown in

A drier day than the last few days, although that isn't saying much. I still managed to get drenched in the heavy shower this afternoon :wallbash: 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything below 0c or above 20c. Also love a good thunderstorm!
13 hours ago, NEVES SCREAMER said:

Is there any brainy scientist types out there who could possibly stop the sun from moving away from the Northern hemisphere for a bit? Like 6 months. 

Haha believe it or not the Earth is closest to the Sun in January and farthest away in July due to our irregular orbit. This cycle reverses roughly every 20,000 years which is why we have ice ages although I think humans have already prevented the one we should be going into now!

Unfortunately the most you can do during the Northern hemisphere winter is either migrate to better climes or live on a sheltered South facing hillside in a greenhouse!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winter, warm/hot summer with the odd storm thrown in

A dry day for a change, at least during daylight hours as it's not going to end up going down as a dry day with the rain this evening. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Not too hot, not too cold
On 03/10/2020 at 13:23, Mapantz said:

Max temps and rain days here for Oct 19:

1863748091_Screenshot2020-10-03132201.thumb.png.291b0f4656d556b4a9d981110588e23d.png 1538066852_Screenshot2020-10-03132242.thumb.png.7f03fab8eff3c64a9b90864ffadcfd9b.png

That’s a pretty mild October tbh, at least by my standards, but also very wet. Here it was colder and drier, with most days around 11-13°C, kind of like this October has been so far here.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot, dry & sunny

A low of just 6°C for London so far this Sep-Oct. Previous years have achieved lower minimum temps by this point. Fairly seasonable weather so far this autumn but no remarkable cool/cold night temps yet!

Edited by Stabilo19

Posted

Low of 4C last night, lowest for the last two months, although as pointed out, we had much lower temps last year. So whilst the nights are milder, the daytime tempreatures are markedly cooler. Last October we had two unseasonably cold days at the start with 13C and 14C respectively here in Brentwodo, with lows of around 2C or even below, but it got mild, and then at the end of the month maxima ranged from 11-13C. Next week showing tempreatures in that range. Around 3-4C below average. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Proper winter/Proper summer
On 08/10/2020 at 19:48, Weather-history said:

Interesting the quick change in wind direction between 7.10 and 7.15am

Interesting video

As you say, very perceptible changes in wind direction and speed picked up. You should post more videos like this when something interesting occurs

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Basically intresting weather,cold,windy you name it

With solid single figure temps showing for my area for the foreseeable post sunset now it is really proving to be a cracking start to Autumn, just hope the front loading doesn't come to soon. We need that push into late Nov and Dec. Could we be on the cusp of a actual Winter for once!!?

Edited by markyo

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: extremes the unusual and interesting facts
3 hours ago, markyo said:

With solid single figure temps showing for my area for the foreseeable post sunset now it is really proving to be a cracking start to Autumn, just hope the front loading doesn't come to soon. We need that push into late Nov and Dec. Could we be on the cusp of a actual Winter for once!!?

Yes plenty of frost between now and xmas with a couple of snowy cold snaps leading up nicely to a bitter..........erm sorry,very mild winter,lots of double digit days and frostless muck!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Continental winters & summers.
5 hours ago, markyo said:

Even better... let's prolong it into January too. A cold first 2/3 at least would be cracking. If it has to turn mild in February, I just hope it's not the dull damp variety.

Back to the here and now, managed to stay shower-free today so it's been a cool (sometimes chilly feeling) bright day with sunny intervals and crisp light. I love this airmass for the excellent visibility. Sounds like it's been a bit bleak in eastern parts though under rather boring showers.

Posted

Expecting something like 50-100mm of rain here through Monday and Tuesday. 

2020 is turning into quite a wet year. We're about to surpass the annual average with two and a half months to go. 

Edited by AderynCoch

Posted
  • Location: Leeds/Bradford border, 185 metres above sea level, around 600 feet
  • Location: Leeds/Bradford border, 185 metres above sea level, around 600 feet

In my local park there's a section which transitions from a concrete path to a worn dirt path and so the puddle is always a good judge if it lasts through a dry day.

For the first time since March I have a persisting puddle.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!
8 hours ago, NEVES SCREAMER said:

Its jolly chilly. The cold seems to have arrived early this year. I am normally holding out for mid November but this is shocking. Hopefully a mid Feb warm spell will make up for it. 

Aye but in 2 months no doubt warmer with raging SW'lys, balmy tropical temps not dropping below 10 degrees