Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Autumn 2020 - Moans, Ramps & Chat

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Not too hot, not too cold
38 minutes ago, Sunny76 said:

Please enjoy it, because it will be all downhill and in Markyo’s favour very soon. 

Ghouls and ghosts, werewolves and vampires, wind and rain, autumn storms, and then there’s Markyo. And that big fat git who delivers presents after that. 

Fun times! Mince pies on the shelves from late September

Hopefully we’ll get an Indian summer. We had the warmest November day on record on 1st November 2015, temperature reached low 20’s in Wales. We also had the hottest Halloween on record the year before with temperatures into the mid 20’s in places. October 2018 also had a spell of very warm weather.

In any case, only about six months to go until next spring! Will be here before we know it!

• Like 2

Posted
41 minutes ago, Sunny76 said:

I was on the beach on Sunday, and while it was 20c, the wind made it feel quite chilly. Not cold, but it felt uncomfortable to sit on the beach. It was nice enough to walk in though. The coast is always cooler.

Yes the coast tends to feel colder even at the same temperature as inland places because of the sea breeze. Barely any breeze today here so feels very nice despite air temperatures not being particularly impressive.

Edited by East Lancs Rain

Posted
1 minute ago, East Lancs Rain said:

Hopefully we’ll get an Indian summer. We had the warmest November day on record on 1st November 2015, temperature reached low 20’s in Wales. We also had the hottest Halloween on record the year before with temperatures into the mid 20’s in places. October 2018 also had a spell of very warm weather.

In any case, only about six months to go until next spring! Will be here before we know it!

Isn't this in itself an "indian summer"? No thank you, autumn can't come any sooner

• Like 2

Posted
3 minutes ago, qwertyK said:

Isn't this in itself an "indian summer"? No thank you, autumn can't come any sooner

Not really as technically it isn’t an Indian summer until we’ve had the first frost, and most areas (away from the Scottish glens anyway) haven’t really had any proper frost yet. Astronomically speaking, it’s still summer for another four days, so I consider any warm and sunny weather in September to just be a continuation of summer really. Not that we had much summer up here lol.

Posted

Not really as technically it isn’t an Indian summer until we’ve had the first frost, and most areas (away from the Scottish glens anyway) haven’t really had any proper frost yet. Astronomically speaking, it’s still summer for another four days, so I consider any warm and sunny weather in September to just be a continuation of summer really. Not that we had much summer up here lol.

We had a ground frost a week or so ago, there was ice on the car windscreens, I think it merits and 'Indian summer'

Posted

That's true.  I guess we coudl see another warm spell but I don't think we'll get something like November where we had 22C in wales and the extremely mild, spring like december 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heat, sun and thunderstorms in summer. Cold sunny days and snow in winter
12 minutes ago, qwertyK said:

Agreed. Don't get me wrong, I don't at all mind this weather (in Spring and summer), but autumn is definitely overdue now and needs to get its skates on. I am not really much of a fan of this type of weather during mid to late September just like I am not a fan of cold wintry weather during mid to late March. Thankfully, the weather will finally be turning more autumnal from around Wednesday (or maybe even Tuesday) onwards. 

Edited by Weather Enthusiast91
  • Like 1

Posted
1 minute ago, Weather Enthusiast91 said:

Agreed. Don't get me wrong, I don't at all mind this weather (in Spring and summer), but autumn is definitely overdue now and needs to get its skates on. I am not really much of a fan of this type of weather during mid to late September just like I am not a fan of cold wintry weather during mid to late March. Thankfully, the weather will finally be turning more autumnal from around Wednesday (or maybe even Tuesday) onwards. 

If it was in the first half of the month it would be okay. I feel like this month is just making up for the crappy July. Still as long as the weather does get decently autumnal (temps ideally under 18, nights in single figures, rain) then I'll be happy. It would be even worse if autumn started briefly, and then we had a warm spell in october like 2018. I just don't like unseasonably warm or unseasonably cold weather. 

• Like 1

Posted
34 minutes ago, East Lancs Rain said:

Despite the warmth, although I’m not disagreeing, it does feel more like autumn now. Waking up in the dark, and coming home in the dark just confirms this.

An Indian summer for me is when the temps are touching or exceeding 19-20c in summer. 1994 was like that, after the cold September, and early October. It turned quite warm and sunny for a few days. October 1995 was also an Indian summer. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow/Thunderstorms

It was another autumnal feeling misty morning here in North Yorkshire. 

A low of 5.8c here but some parts of the region had a ground frost.

spacer.png                  spacer.png

• Like 5

Posted
4 hours ago, Weather Enthusiast91 said:

September is a transitional month, doesn't know if it's Autumn or Summer. It's not until after the equinox, Autumn begins to show it's hand more firmly, the sun begins to weaken markedly and we lose rapid daylight. The heat earlier in the week was quite exceptional, but current conditions for the time of year very normal. A change is afoot next week, northern parts in particular likely to be plunged into Autumn proper and there will be a marked change in the feel of things.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: 30 Degrees of pure British Celsius
21 hours ago, Sunny76 said:

Waking up in the dark, and coming home in the dark just confirms this.

Nothing to do with the weather (obviously) early this week it was warm in the evening - 22c here at 8pm on Tuesday and was almost dark but felt nothing like Autumn, maybe the many leaves on the ground make it look so?

Indian summer for you when your going round with a thin cardigan at most? :oldrofl:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Basically intresting weather,cold,windy you name it

Looking like a fantastic second half to September, proper Autumnal weather. So good to see a actually seasonal output at this time of year! Nothing to moan about at all.

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Cold & Snowy, Summer: Just not hot

Managed to get sunburned yesterday

Posted
2 hours ago, Froze were the Days said:

Nothing to do with the weather (obviously) early this week it was warm in the evening - 22c here at 8pm on Tuesday and was almost dark but felt nothing like Autumn, maybe the many leaves on the ground make it look so?

Indian summer for you when your going round with a thin cardigan at most? :oldrofl:

It feels more like autumn now. And I don’t wear cardigans. That’s reserved for old farts like you.  

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow/Thunderstorms

Another misty morning here and a low of 3.1c.

Some of my frost hollow stations were very close to an air frost this morning with my station at Ravenseat (Swaledale) with Amanda and Clive Owen coldest at 0.4c.

spacer.png      spacer.png

• Like 1

Posted
1 hour ago, markyo said:

Looking like a fantastic second half to September, proper Autumnal weather. So good to see a actually seasonal output at this time of year! Nothing to moan about at all.

This week was perfect weather. Nice and warm, and even with the slightly cooler mornings, still nice and sunny. 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Basically intresting weather,cold,windy you name it
32 minutes ago, Sunny76 said:

This week was perfect weather. Nice and warm, and even with the slightly cooler mornings, still nice and sunny. 

Found it to warm to be comfortable working in at the start of the week but since Tuesday its been as you say near perfect, cool enough for me but warm enough for likes of yourself. Looking forward to the seasonal rest of the month, not looking bad at all!

Posted
3 hours ago, Nick L said:

Managed to get sunburned yesterday

You must have my mum’s skin, I on other hand have never been burnt by the sun maybe as a child, my skin remains quite tanned throughout year, take after my dad and I’m no sunbather. My mum is like a ghost. It’a strength right now is pleasant wouldn’t say that warm. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Continental winters & summers.

I also find it quite hard to resemble a burn into September given the weakness of the sun.

• Like 1